X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont crank, gearbox fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont crank, gearbox fault

ok i have a 04 x type 3.0 automatic, i washed the engine bay. it misfired on #1, so i drove it a few hours and it went away, no codes it was doing good. i shut it off and it wont crank back. it wont crank, says gearbox fault, no gear indicator light or s button light, solenoid for the park lock isnt working. so i took the cover off to work it manually and get it out of park. it wont crank in park or neutral. the starter solenoid doesnt even click. obd 2 scanner says codes 1638,1643, 1699. the brake lights are working but shifter solenoid will not. i put a new interstate megatron battery, new starter,i cleaned all battery cables on both ends and body ground with a wire brush on a drill. i pulled out the ecm, tcm, and no sign of water. i pulled every fuse in both compartments and all is good. my starter relay is non serviceable. it has the late 04 model style power distribution box, made after april 04, my security light stays on and does not blink. i am pulling my hair out with this thing, i need it up and running asap. any help would be appreciated!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Have you disconnected the engine compartment loom connectors to dry out the connections? If the water was under pressure, there may be some in the connectors.

The following users liked this post:
04 x type auto (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 AM

yes, not every one but most, and put dialectric grease in them

Old 11-13-2017, 07:30 PM

i am thinking of changing the j-gate and see what happens, as i am running out of ideas. my thought is, j-gate can make gearbox fault come on, it will not light up or come out of gear. i read the can bus goes from ecm, to ccm, j-gate, to tcm. well i left out the cluster. im thinking the j-gate went bad and interrupted the signal.
not letting it crank. i am not good with a multimeter so this is my next option, then tcm, then ecm. anyone have any thoughts or opinions

Old 11-14-2017, 04:45 PM

The finicky feline !!!!!!

Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Default update

the j -gate i ordered and put in had no affect, it looks like i will be ordering a tcm. red light on console stays on and does not blink

Last edited by 04 x type auto; 11-16-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Unhappy hopeless

everything i look up says check the starter relay, i cant mine is non-serviceable and has a plastic grid over it, no way to check it. i cant find anything on one like mine. it says for instance, check fuse 41 and 42, i dont have that many fuses in my power distribution box. it says to check pin numbers xxx, but if the pd box doesnt match, i dont know if the pin #s will match. i dont think i am getting a signal telling the car to crank. is this car a odd ball or what, i cant find any info on one like mine. i only got 1 suggestion on this issue, can noone help. this car is like the old style x-mas lights, if one bulb goes bad it shuts the whole thing down!

Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The 04 model year after April have an updated electrical system and you have to be sure you are working with the correct diagram for your vehicle. Try downloading the 2005 diagrams from the Jagrepair.com website. You have one fuse box under the bonnet and one under the dash on the left hand side. It is easily seen if you remove the change cubby.
Check the under dash for blown fuses and relays.

04 x type auto (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Default thank you sir,

Originally Posted by avern1
The 04 model year after April have an updated electrical system and you have to be sure you are working with the correct diagram for your vehicle. Try downloading the 2005 diagrams from the Jagrepair.com website. You have one fuse box under the bonnet and one under the dash on the left hand side. It is easily seen if you remove the change cubby.
Check the under dash for blown fuses and relays.
i have checked all fuses in both boxes and all are good. the red light on the console stays on when key is on. it doesnt go out after a while. would you know anything about that. thanks for your reply

Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Default 05 jb1 pinout

i have 04 model but the wiring is 04.25 but that manual doesnt show a pinout for jb1 connection. does anyone have a pinout for jb1 connecton on a 05, also it is a 3.0 automatic. i also need a pinout for j-gate connector

Last edited by 04 x type auto; 11-17-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 PM

these cars are designed to fail, never buy one. they are so filled with electrical crap. everything has a module and hooked to the computer, if one thing goes bad it shuts the whole car down. not reliable they will get you out and leave you stranded. the electrical components are the firs thing to go on a car, they are unreliable. this car is filled with them and then they connected them together like the old style christmas lights, one bulb blows and it takes out the whole string. if you want a large good looking flower pot buy one of these cars because thats all they are worth. plant flowers in. good looking car, but the electrical killed them. thats why you can get them for 2000, nobody wants them. unless they dont know any better. i signe up for the forums hoping for some help, i got 2 replies, thanks to those gentlemen. other than that. nothing. was a waste of time. i will never own another, soon as i get this fixed it will leave, im not putting up with this electrical non-sense

Old 11-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Every car that is about 20 years or newer has all that "electrical crap". I can't say I would agree that the X-Type is "designed to fail". There are a lot of members on here that find the X-type very reliable, including me. Sorry about the current issues you are having with your car and cahsing down electronic gremlins can get very frustrating, but it sounds like it all started from when you washed your engine. Maybe best at this point to take it to a dealer for proper diagnosis. Good luck. Hope you can find a resoltion to your issue soon.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:51 PM

i thank you for your reply, i am mechanic, but not electrician. but this is the darnedest car i ever worked on. from what i am reading the dealer will lie and say you need a new transmission, and it isnt anything but the module, so they can charge for that. or they dont know. so i would haul it 2 hours for them to give me a bull answer, and charge 2- three grand. they think we are all fools i guess. there is no need for all these modules and linked to the ecm. regular headlight switches wouldve done or any other. no need for everything to be hooked together. like the ac should have nothing to do with the ecm. should all be seperate , so you can pinpoint the problem. not all together and it could be caused by anything
but atleast you did respond, and i thank you. this has got me in such a bind and blocked my world

Old 11-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's an up-market luxury car so it has lots of things you consider unnecessary. Whyever did you buy it???

04 x type auto (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 AM

i did put my info in signature, unless it didnt load

Old 11-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Any luck with this yet?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:04 PM

no, nothing

Old 11-27-2017, 04:05 PM

i seen where there is a mobile guy with a mongoose, how do i get in touch with him

Old 11-27-2017, 04:09 PM

i am under alot of pressure to get this car up and running, i am so stressed, can anyone help

Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Yeah, washing an engine is not good! Here is a future tip. Take regular tire cleaner foam (in a can), spray everything under the hood, let it set, and blow it dry with air (like a leaf blower works real well). I do this every other month and engine bay looks like this =

Couple that with weekly using the new ONR (w/wax, the green one) @ about 15 cents for making 32 ounces in a windex bottle that cleans the entire car (and then some), my kitty looks pretty clean all the time.