X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood veneer for radio.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wood veneer for radio.

Does anyone have any experience with the wood veneer kits for our radio? I would love to extend the look of the walnut right up the front of the radio. I've seen some pics of it and it really makes the cars interior even more classy. I was wondering if anyone here ever installed one, and how difficult it is. Also, is there a company that anyone can reccomend that makes one?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wood Grain for Stereo

Hi,

I was just looking for the same thing as well. I haven't gotten one yet, but I did speak with a mechanic about this and he said whatever you do get make sure it is a good quality because they tend to peel very quickly if you buy a not so referable brand so make sure you do your homework on this subject before you actually purchase. If I find who the good brand is I will certainly post it soon because I am searching now also.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Theres a website call carid.com that is selling them for pretty much every luxury car there is. Like you said the issue is quality. Not knowing anyone whos ever installed one I wasn't sure if it was basically a sticker that goes over the stock plastic, or do you actually remove the plastic panels and replace it with the wood one. This website appears to have stick on veneers which look compelling, especially at fifty bucks.
I would hate to attempt installing them, only to sneeze and stick it on crooked.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Wow. That Mina one is perfect. And it appears to have rounded edges, which make it look factory.
I'm actually surprised that we have to buy a dash kit for the radio. Jag should have made it wood to begin with!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by harryc
Wow. That Mina one is perfect. And it appears to have rounded edges, which make it look factory.
I'm actually surprised that we have to buy a dash kit for the radio. Jag should have made it wood to begin with!
Too. much. wood.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There is a member here on the forum called britishautowood.
Google him and it brings up his website. Maybe he'll be able to help you with your wood problem...

Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't have an X-Type and as there isn't a similar kit available from Mina for the XK, so I bought a B&I kit from TrimStop:

The advantage the XK has here is that there isn't a lot of space that needs to be filled with wood, so it's not as noticeable that the replacement isn't real wood. The B&I kit (they have one available for the X-type that looks very much like the one Mina is offereing, in fact it may be the same one) is nicely beveled, but it feels a little bit rubbery (not terrible much, but definitely does). It is backed with adhesive, simply peel and stick. Here are my thoughts on it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-do-%3B-51779/ I'd be a little worried about look and feel with the larger surface area on the X-type, but I'd say it's better than just black plastic.

Here is the sample picture from the B&I kit for the X-type:

If you do order one of B&I's kits I recommend TrimStop. They are the primary re-seller and were the only one who would sell me just part of a kit.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it seems like Mina has a different kit than B&I since all of the variations of the B&I kit include more pieces.

Last edited by K.Westra; 09-16-2011 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andahaion (09-22-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harryc
Theres a website call carid.com that is selling them for pretty much every luxury car there is. Like you said the issue is quality. Not knowing anyone whos ever installed one I wasn't sure if it was basically a sticker that goes over the stock plastic, or do you actually remove the plastic panels and replace it with the wood one. This website appears to have stick on veneers which look compelling, especially at fifty bucks.
I would hate to attempt installing them, only to sneeze and stick it on crooked.
The carid kits are good. They use 3M adhesive and really stick, with no peeling. Just make sure to follow the instructions exactly and you should have no issues. Unless you sneeze.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey, it looks lovely and matched up the stock wood color

Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wood veneer for radio

Please take a pic of what it looks like. I have an xtype jag as well and I am looking to do the same thing and would love to see if the colors match up perfectly. I know my wood grain interior is called "birdseye maple" accordingly to the dealer in my car. So I would love to know if they have the same color.