Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked headlamp bulb

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked headlamp bulb

Hi,

My driver's side dipped headlamp bulb had been intermittently going on and off for some time now. A thump to the front of the lens usually cures it. Today I bought a new bulb to replace the old one and to clean up the contacts. However....

The old bulb had burnt itself permenently into the bulb holder and fell to bits when I tried to remove it.

My question is, before I go poking screwdrivers into the bulb holder to remove the bulb connector and burnt chalk insulation - has this happened to anyone else and can I easily get a new bulb holder if I ***** up the old one totally? I'd add a picture if I knew how to - I'm new here.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Ok. A quick update.
The bulb holder's plastic has melted to the bulb contact's chalk insulation - totally knackered!

Jaguar can't/won't supply a new bulb holder as "It's part of the loom" -
I didn't bother to ask how much a new loom would be so, I've contacted a breakers yard who will let me snip off the bulb holder from one of theirs.
I plan to cut my old one off and twist/solder and heat shrink the joints to the 'new' one.

Does this sound ok or are there many different headlamp bulb types?

Paul.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Paul, if you do a bit of a search of the forum you will find that you may be better off making your own two piece bulb holder for the H1 bulb. One wire to the bulb, the other to the male spade connector right by the hold down wire. Otherwise, you might get the same problem with the bulb holder from the wreckers, I mean "breakers".

Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw an ad for replacements for those on one of the web sites that advertises Jaguar parts. I don't remember which one, but I'll be Google can find it.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Paul, welcome aboard, good to have you here!
Dunno if you've considered upgrading to an HID kit while you're at it Paul as so many from this and other forums have done?? The lighting on the X type can be poor from personal experience.
Just a thought
I've upgraded you too FFA so you can see ALL

Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Paul, another option is to stop by your local hardware store and they sell electrical spade connectors that will fit on to the bulb. From there, you cut off the old connector (leaving yourself as much wire as possible), connect the new connectors and then attach them to the new headlight bulb. Since you are using a standard filament style bulb, it doesn't matter which side gets the positive wire and which gets the negative wire. All said, you should have your fix with about $1 worth of parts.

I wish you luck.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I went to my local breakers... sorry... wreckers yard and rummaged around a fire-damaged X Type and found that this particular car (unlike mine that were both wired into one connecter) had one wire going to the bulb spade connector and one going to a spade connector ion the reflector.

I cut them off, paid the man the princely sum of £1 (a dollar and a half?) and soldered and heat shrink sleeved them onto my car the same way. Job done!

Looks like Jaguar have changed the wiring since they made my 2001 2.5 sport. I've had it six years now and until the last few months it's been completely trouble-free.

Thanks again.