Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type 2.0 Diesel Belt Tensioner AC Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type 2.0 Diesel Belt Tensioner AC Rattle

Hello all,

With this sunny weather, I've had the rare occasion to actually put the air conditioning on in my X-type 2.0D

It would appear that I have the belt tensioner rattle issue with this. I understood that it was a fairly common problem so knew straight away.

I do have a few short questions though.

1 - While the issue only notably presents itself when the AC is on, is it indicative of noisier engine sound in general? (in other words, if I replace it, would the engine in theory run quieter).
2 - If not, assuming I dont use the AC (which as above is something required maybe 20 days a year if we're lucky) - is this something I should worry about?
3 - I do have a very forgiving local Jaguar mechanic, but roughly speaking, how much am I looking at here?
4 - Other than potentially reducing engine noise and obviously stopping the big rattle (which I hope you answer above) are there any other benefits to this replacement?
5 - Any advice in general?

In regards to questions 1 and 2, I'm not going to lie, I didn't buy the car for a lot and have always been prepared for the 'repair' that will put it out of commission for me. Otherwise though the DFW was changed only around 30k miles ago, injectors are good etc.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The crankshaft pulley is made from 2 parts, the centre piece and the outer grooved rim.
Between these it is filled with rubber, so the whole unit acts as a damper.

The original pulley is not up to the job over time, so becomes loose and wobbles, this in turn causes stress on the auxiliary belt tensioner causing excessive movement, so wearing that out too.

When the aircon is running, this puts further drag on the belt, so heightening the wobble.
When the aircon is running you start to get a metallic chirping sound, then it progresses to more disturbing noise !
If you look carefully down at the tensioner, you will see it moving/oscillating due to the belt going tight/slack as the pulley wobbles.

When replacing the pulley, buy the upgraded pulley and tensioner kit, that is C2S51547.
DO NOT BUY A CHEAPER AFTERMARKET PULLEY AND TENSIONER AS THESE WILL NOT LAST !!
I cannot stress this enough, lots of people have done this, to try and save money, and regretted it !

The upgraded kit has a wider pulley, and is far stronger.

The kit contains the pulley, 3 bolts, the tensioner, and a replacement splash guard that is needed to accommodate the wider pulley, and a new belt.

Paul.

Last edited by Man on the hill; 05-06-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't that the mk7 transit 2.2 tdci pulley with a wider cover to accommodate the extra girth ............do they sell the wider splash guard separately anywhere ???...other than Jaguar of course.

I'd have agree with Man on the Hill here I put a cheap one on my car ... I did admit straight away it wasn't from a good supplier ..and predictably I can already hear very slight chirping/ tinging ...whatever you want to call it... on startup....still no mad vibration like I had with the old pulley which someone had welded solid ...badly out of alignment....I will be fitting the updated kit with the transit pulley asap when time/ funds allow.......hopefully before any bad vibrations return .....if you do buy the tensoiner tool changing the pulley is quite easy.

Also ford started fitting 'freewheeling' alternator pulleys (its a pulley with a one way clutch) to the mondy's later in they're life ...is this a common 'mod' for the X types as well ???.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasingly common mod for X types

Freewheeling alternator pulley

Above link is about exactly this.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi @Man on the hill , looks like it has been a few years since this thread, but I assume the advice remains the same? Availability of this pulley kit seems patchy - any recommendations for where to shop for this sort of thing?

Thanks!
Cheers
Iain

Old 12-23-2021, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts