X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type 2.0d not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation X-Type 2.0d not starting

Hi all I can hear the groans already :-) Ok here I go I have had this car that I bought as a non starter ( no laughing please )

The car cranks and splutters but won't start! This is how far I have got with the faults, I found was the glow plugs were faulty all measured out as open circuit these have been replaced and tested ok the glow plug relay is working correctly.

I have removed and checked the fuel cut off inertia switch this is ok I have had the fuel filter off and opened it up to check for any metal in the filter to check for suspect breakup of the HP fuel pump nothing found.

I have draw fuel off the fuel pipe from the tank with a vacuum pump ok fuel clean and fresh fuel put in refitted a good quality fuel filter and primed it using the vacuum pump still no start I have removed the inlet manifold cleaned it and cleaned the egr valve and blanked it off still no start.

I have removed the air filter pipe to the turbo and checked it ok. I have replaced the cam sensor just in case still no joy! I have connected a clear pipe to the low pressure side of the fuel pump and gravity fed clean new fuel to the HP fuel pump it draws fuel in but I haven't got a gauge to check the low pressure reading.

I have had the injectors removed and sent off for testing (yes they were numbered up to make sure they went back in the same sequence :-) ) Still no start :-( I have had a mate who is a mechanic come and have a look we checked the codes on the ecm and nothing significant mostly to do with low battery condition so codes cleared , still no start!

I know these cars have a system that stops the car from starting if the fuel level is too low, I have put in about 20 ltrs of fuel but what if the fuel level sender is faulty would this cause a crank but non start situation I can see that this has been looked at before as I can see some repairs there? We have come to the conclusion that we need to check the fuel pressure on the high pressure side but I haven't got a gauge and fittings to do this safely?

I need help people please. I am sure there must be someone who has done this before on here. I need to know more about common rail systems and air locking or bleeding and the details of what the ecm needs to see before opening up the injectors. I have got the JLR ssd software and a mongoose so I can read the ecm etc I need someone who knows these diesels inside out Please please please help me it is driving me mad