X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type 2.5 2001 door locking fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x type 2.5 2001 door locking fault

hi there,i am so glad i have joined this forum and hopefully you guys can solve this fault i have locking my car, i cannot lock the car using the fob when i press to lock it the horn bleeps twice and the indicaters flash but the doors stay open, the only way to lock it is with the key and again the horn bleeps twice , the fob will open it no problem but will not lock,i have changed the battery on the fob ,checked the door locks by manualy engaging them ,lubricated the locks thinking they may have dirt inside,but still nojoy,has anybody came across this fault before as you can imagine its a right pain,any advice to solve this problem would be much apreciated, many thanks paul. . coventry uk.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by pb14
hi there,i am so glad i have joined this forum and hopefully you guys can solve this fault i have locking my car, i cannot lock the car using the fob when i press to lock it the horn bleeps twice and the indicaters flash but the doors stay open, the only way to lock it is with the key and again the horn bleeps twice , the fob will open it no problem but will not lock,i have changed the battery on the fob ,checked the door locks by manualy engaging them ,lubricated the locks thinking they may have dirt inside,but still nojoy,has anybody came across this fault before as you can imagine its a right pain,any advice to solve this problem would be much apreciated, many thanks paul. . coventry uk.
I've been having the exact same problem for almost 3 months now. Haven't located the cause of the problem yet, still waiting for warmer weather to come. I'm thinking the problem might be caused by a malfunctioning sensor that's indicating something is unlocked. This could be a door or the hood or trunk.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 AM

my wifes car has this problem when it rains. when you take the key out of the ignition does the car bing like the key is still in the ignition. insert and remove the key again and the bing should stop. the access door over the ignition sticks (notorious) to jaguar

Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Default door locking fault

Originally Posted by gbrutschea
my wifes car has this problem when it rains. when you take the key out of the ignition does the car bing like the key is still in the ignition. insert and remove the key again and the bing should stop. the access door over the ignition sticks (notorious) to jaguar
thanks for your reply,but its the doors that wont lock with the fob,it just blows the horn twice and the doors stay open ,you have to use the key in the lock to close it,has me baffled thanks pb14:

Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Default door locking fault

Originally Posted by Green Machine
I've been having the exact same problem for almost 3 months now. Haven't located the cause of the problem yet, still waiting for warmer weather to come. I'm thinking the problem might be caused by a malfunctioning sensor that's indicating something is unlocked. This could be a door or the hood or trunk.
thanks bob ,if i find the fault before you i will let you know straight away ,thanks pb14

Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Things to check at no cost

Check pin switch under hood on drivers/left hand drive side near strut tower and make sure it hasn't fallen out of its hole. It has a black rubber bellows covering the actual switch pin if it's still intact. Open and close trunk/boot several times. Does it seem to latch normally or does it have to be slammed? Do any of the doors seem to require excessive pressure when using either the inside or outside handles to get them to unlatch and open?

If you can't detect an obvious defect in these areas your local Jag dealer can do a scan of last 10 alarm activations and tell you exactly where the problem lies. Price may vary, IDS/SDD required. The double horn blow is an alarm activation and will be recorded.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
Check pin switch under hood on drivers/left hand drive side near strut tower and make sure it hasn't fallen out of its hole. It has a black rubber bellows covering the actual switch pin if it's still intact. Open and close trunk/boot several times. Does it seem to latch normally or does it have to be slammed? Do any of the doors seem to require excessive pressure when using either the inside or outside handles to get them to unlatch and open?

If you can't detect an obvious defect in these areas your local Jag dealer can do a scan of last 10 alarm activations and tell you exactly where the problem lies. Price may vary, IDS/SDD required. The double horn blow is an alarm activation and will be recorded.
Doors and trunk working OK. I'll check the hood switch to see if it's in place.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Question

Doors and trunk working OK. I'll check the hood switch to see if it's in place.
I checked the hood switch and it is still in place. The rubber boot is loose but still covering the switch and from what I can tell the wiring is still hooked up to it. I pressed the switch several times but still can't use the remote to lock the doors. Can you explain where the sensors are for the doors and trunk?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Switch locations

All switches are internal to the latch assemblies and not serviceable seperately except the hood switch of course. The latches are all riveted together.

I still think the best plan of attack is to pay the dealer $100 to do the scan and tell you which latch is causing the fault. I assume of course you do not have message center in the instrument pack. If you had message center it would be telling you which door, trunk or hood was open.

The problem with self diagnosis of Jaguar door latches is the fact that the cars are equipped with the global open feature. If you don't know what you are doing and probing around in the latch pins you could trigger a global open event and if your hands are in the door you could lose a finger or worse and yes I have seen this happen. Remember the pinch protection feature only works for closing the windows not opening. If the windows start coming down and a hand or piece of equipment is in the mechanism and gets caught the motor will push harder and harder until something is severed or the motor reaches thermal overload and shuts down. Just because it shuts down doesn't mean the pressure will be released. The person saving your life will probably have to break the mechanism to get you out and yes I've actually had to do this myself to retrieve a fellow tech that then needed 38 stitches. Please, no new unintentional amputees on ther forum.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
All switches are internal to the latch assemblies and not serviceable seperately except the hood switch of course. The latches are all riveted together.

I still think the best plan of attack is to pay the dealer $100 to do the scan and tell you which latch is causing the fault. I assume of course you do not have message center in the instrument pack. If you had message center it would be telling you which door, trunk or hood was open.

The problem with self diagnosis of Jaguar door latches is the fact that the cars are equipped with the global open feature. If you don't know what you are doing and probing around in the latch pins you could trigger a global open event and if your hands are in the door you could lose a finger or worse and yes I have seen this happen. Remember the pinch protection feature only works for closing the windows not opening. If the windows start coming down and a hand or piece of equipment is in the mechanism and gets caught the motor will push harder and harder until something is severed or the motor reaches thermal overload and shuts down. Just because it shuts down doesn't mean the pressure will be released. The person saving your life will probably have to break the mechanism to get you out and yes I've actually had to do this myself to retrieve a fellow tech that then needed 38 stitches. Please, no new unintentional amputees on ther forum.
You are correct. There has never been any fault message for this problem. This problem started about 2 weeks before the engine codes appeared.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM

You are correct. There has never been any fault message for this problem. This problem started about 2 weeks before the engine codes appeared.
Well, it looks like I've tracked down the bad sensor, the bonnet switch. This morning I again checked out everything. I worked the doors from inside and out. With the ignition on each door when ajar indicated so in the message center, same with the boot when it was unlatched. But when the bonnet was opened nothing appeared. I fiddle around with the switch and closed the hood and tried the remote to lock but no luck on a few tries. But the when I was about to give up because I was getting cold, I used the key to lock the doors and they locked normally, no alarm. So I tried the remote and unlocked the doors then locked them, no alarm again. I tried the lock unlock several times and it was working again.
Well, that was this morning, but this afternoon after driving for awhile it's back to not working again. I'm going to pull the switch to have a look at it and play with it some more to see if I can't get it to work again. If not at least I know what has to be replaced.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 AM

hi bob,do all x types have this switch or is it just the us market , im glad your having some luck finding your fault , wondering if you could just bypass it completly, regards paul.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by pb14
hi bob,do all x types have this switch or is it just the us market , im glad your having some luck finding your fault , wondering if you could just bypass it completly, regards paul.
I would think all would have it as this would be part of the security system. Real_Tech is the one that suggest checking it, look at his earlier postings in this thread. Mine is a little loose in the mounting so I'm going to try and remove it and check the switch and the wiring connection to see there's any reason for what appears to be a no connection. Like I said earlier after moving it around and working my finger over the harness and connector it started working again for a short while. I'm hoping it will start working again, but if not I will buy a replacement switch and hope that will take care of the problem.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hood sencer

How do u by passs sencer It broke off don't want to buy another one is it away to bypass it