X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type cooling fans not working RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy x-type cooling fans not working RESOLVED

Well today was takeing care of some things on my 2002 x-type and seen that the fans are not coming on has any one had this problem checked all fuses and relay i have a very great guy that works on my car so im trying to see the fix for my jag. any help will be very good.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem is in fan control modul

Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

newjag, a quick check that you can do is to put the A/C system into manual mode (if you have the auto temp setup), then dial it down to the coldest temp and turn the fan on the highest speed possible. Now, with the engine running, open the hood and look at the fans. They should be turning as fast as they can and you should be feeling lots of air coming from the engine bay (lifting your hair up amount of air). if the fans are not running, then odds are it is your fan control module. This is a common item to fail on our cars. If you want to prove it beyond that, let me know.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Post cooling fan

Ok that is what i will do in the am thanks for the info and will put some pics up this weekend.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Unhappy cooling fan

is their a way to fix the problem or would i have to buy a new one.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

newjag, unfortunately, the only real fix is to get a new module. Based on the year model you have, you are also more than likely going to end up having to get an adapter harness as Jag changed the module slightly and they gave it a different plug on the newer models. The other option is to find a local junk yard in your area and see if they happen to have an X-Type on the lot that you can grab the module off of that.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM

newjag, i had the same issue and thanks to Thermo i replaced the fan module and my fans are working ever since. the only problem is finding a new fan module. most of shops that have the fan moduole are selling it with the fan assembly. you can get a used module, but i would suggest you try to get a new module. if not i guess you have to settle for the used module. it is not complicated to replace the part...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Talking module

hey guys got the new one today and put it in and bam all is good now i am going to do some small things to make sure every thing else is good.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by newjag2002
hey guys got the new one today and put it in and bam all is good now i am going to do some small things to make sure every thing else is good.
hey can you give me an idea where to get one? I'be looking for one

Old 12-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

andrestx1, first off, welcome to the Forums. Please stop by the "New Member Section" and tell us a little bit about yourself. We are a friendly bunch here and we like to get to know one another. This also gives you a chance to meet the other people that make this site what it is. You will also find tons of useful information here. So, grab yourself a cup of joe, sit back, do some reading and enjoy.

As for your problem, one thing that you need to keep an eye out for is there are 2 different styles of fan controllers out there. You have the 02-early 04 controller and the post early 04 controller. They use a different style plug and are not directly interchangeable. With that being said, the later version can be retrofitted into the earlier cars, but an adapter harness is required. So, when you start looking for another controller, you need to know what version of controller you are looking at.

As for where to buy one. If you are looking on say e-bay, do not buy the first one you come to. This is a common failure item and there are people selling bad used controllers. So, if you go that route, ensure that you get in writing that the seller will accept the controller back if it is DOA. If you go new, pretty much you are stuck with getting it through a Jaguar dealership. They will also have the adapter harness should you need it.

The following users liked this post:
andrestx1 (12-23-2013)
Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
andrestx1, first off, welcome to the Forums. Please stop by the "New Member Section" and tell us a little bit about yourself. We are a friendly bunch here and we like to get to know one another. This also gives you a chance to meet the other people that make this site what it is. You will also find tons of useful information here. So, grab yourself a cup of joe, sit back, do some reading and enjoy.

As for your problem, one thing that you need to keep an eye out for is there are 2 different styles of fan controllers out there. You have the 02-early 04 controller and the post early 04 controller. They use a different style plug and are not directly interchangeable. With that being said, the later version can be retrofitted into the earlier cars, but an adapter harness is required. So, when you start looking for another controller, you need to know what version of controller you are looking at.

As for where to buy one. If you are looking on say e-bay, do not buy the first one you come to. This is a common failure item and there are people selling bad used controllers. So, if you go that route, ensure that you get in writing that the seller will accept the controller back if it is DOA. If you go new, pretty much you are stuck with getting it through a Jaguar dealership. They will also have the adapter harness should you need it.
Hi. Mark here. I'd like to know if you would have pics of the 2 different fan control modules. I think I bought the earlier module instead of the later for my 2007 X-Type. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

Mark, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here. But, please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. we like to get to know one another and as part of that, we need to know a little bit about you. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for the two different controllers, I don't have both in my possession. But, the big difference between the two is that the plugs on the modules are different. So, this makes going between the two styles difficult. But, in your case, it may make it very obvious whether you have the old or new style controller. Try to plug in the main power plug and see what you have. That was the plug that they changed.

If you need more help, let me know and we can take things from there.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:43 PM

I Have a problem with my x type..the fan is runing fast and sometimes does not work ..the fan makes noisy When runing fast

Old 08-14-2015, 03:50 PM

When i start the car,the fan does not work,then later it pick very slow and sometimes very fast with noise..can someone tell me what to do..i love my jag

Old 01-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help quick

I need to know the location of the fuse for the 2004 xtype radiator fan I've checked the fan itself and the module and replace the coolant temp sensor and it's still won't come on somebody please help me

Old 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Hebb
I need to know the location of the fuse for the 2004 xtype radiator fan I've checked the fan itself and the module and replace the coolant temp sensor and it's still won't come on somebody please help me
I was able to find this diagram...I hope it helps...

Attached Thumbnails x-type cooling fans not working RESOLVED-capture-_2018-01-02-11-18-34.png  
Old 01-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Chris, you're getting into deep water here! The fuse you're looking for is F40, 80A and it's situated on the underside of the engine compartment fuse panel. So to get at it you're going to have to remove the fuse panel complete.

Note that Andrest's fuse panel diagram is for the earlier X Types than yours and has no relevance to MY2004 and beyond.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Angry 2006 x-type 3.0 liter fans won't turn off

Have replaced the FCM twice. First one caught fire within about an hour. put it out, replaced burnt harness, and tried a new one. Fans still running. Checked the temp sensor and it appears to work. Car will reach proper temp while running and stop midway where it usually does. Coolant full, water pump and thermostat appear fine. I am getting 12 volts at the white wire on the FCM even when turned off, so I guess it is the ECM? Car seems to run fine now, but fans always at top speed and won't cut off when I turn ignition off.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

As this thread is headed RESOLVED, it might have been better to start a new thread for your problem.

Anyway, there should not be any plain White wires going to the FCM! The small gauge wires should be Brown/Green - permanent 12v, White/Green - ignition switched 12v, White/Blue - PWM signal from ECU, plus the heavy current wires to the fans, Red, Green, Orange/Green and Orange/Yellow.

Perhaps you can clarify what's happening on all the small gauge wires first?

The following users liked this post:
Ken Whiddon Jr (02-08-2021)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by ernieg
Have replaced the FCM twice. First one caught fire within about an hour. put it out, replaced burnt harness, and tried a new one. Fans still running. Checked the temp sensor and it appears to work. Car will reach proper temp while running and stop midway where it usually does. Coolant full, water pump and thermostat appear fine. I am getting 12 volts at the white wire on the FCM even when turned off, so I guess it is the ECM? Car seems to run fine now, but fans always at top speed and won't cut off when I turn ignition off.
How did solve this sir?... Im in deep waters too with a similar problem

Quick Reply: x-type cooling fans not working RESOLVED