X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type Dying!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question X-type Dying!!! Help!

My Beloved X-type developed a whining noise in the center consol under acceleration. I took it in and they said it was most likely the front Diff making bearing noise.
When I asked for a quote, the simply replied run it to the ground and take it to carmax because you keep pouring money into this car to fix it. KBB is 9k, Carmax will give me 5k. I can maybe sell it private party? But just wondering if there's maybe an easy way to replace the bearings without swapping the whole diff.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

edge, the sound you are talking about I bet is coming from the carrier bearing, not the differential. You can get the carrier bearing replace for a few hundred. The rear driveshaft of our cars is long enough that they put a bearing to support the weight that is located between the front seats. This is a common problem with our cars. I know it isn't the best answer, but it is a lot better than what it could be.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:52 AM

Hrmm interesting. Makes me wonder whats up because Jaguar had it on a rack for me to isolate the noise and said front diff. estimated 2k to fix. I'll look into it forshure though. I know that the U-Joint in the middle of the Driveshaft is worn if that helps for a possible cause?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Thermo, Edge is probably a whole lot closer to the mark than the 'Dealer'. If you have a universal which is crook, it will be (a) making a noise (kind of clicking), and you will probably be getting a vibration that comes & goes as you drive, and (b) it will be causing the driveshaft to 'throw' as it rotates, and that puts extra load on any bearings either side around it. Don't keep driving it without repair: universals have been known to snap, and the results can be quite spectacular, particularly if it is a forward one on a propellor shaft. I've seen the results of one digging into the soft macadam surface on a bridge: the driver was lucky not to need a lifejacket!

cheers,

Languid

Old 12-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Languid/Edge, a quick check that you can is to get yourself a grease gun and a needle attachment. Jack up the car and inject some grease into the carrier bearing (located in the center of the rear driveshaft, slide the needle into the bearing, so, you will need to angle the needle kinda funny to get it in). If after greasing the noise goes away or diminishes significantly, then that confirms a bad carrier bearing. If the noise remains, then it very well can be the universals.

Edge, if you know that a universal in the middle of the driveshaft (assuming the rear driveshaft), then that could be your noise too. I guess the question is how much money are you willing to put into the car to keep it? New universal shouldn't be all that expensive if it is what I am thinking. Most backyard mechanics can replace the universals. I just hate to see you toss away a car because of something fairly simple.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Couple things, the X-type uses a 2 piece driveshaft in which the UJ is not replaceable, so that would call for a brand new driveshaft, I have been driving with it for a while now, and it thuds a little at the beginning of acceleration. It hasn't been a problem for me, however this is something else. I was driving a canyon road, rather quickly, and at the end of the run, I noticed the whine. It was subtle and not noticeable in driving. However as I continue to drive it, the whine has become much more noticeable under acceleration, along with a "Wub Wub wub" noise under deceleration. While decelerating, the noise goes away if I give it a tad of gas, then comes back when i dig my foot in deeper. When turning in parking lots, i sometimes hear a grinding noise and a vibration in my wheel. I need to do something about this soon, and honestly do not have the money for something major. I'm a college student with about 500 bucks in my bank account. Carrier doesn't seem like it would be the problem, however if this situation sounds familiar, I'd love to hear its cheaper than i first thought

Any opinions would be appreciated

Old 06-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone stops responding when the thud is mentioned

Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by edge1212
Couple things, the X-type uses a 2 piece driveshaft in which the UJ is not replaceable, so that would call for a brand new driveshaft, I have been driving with it for a while now, and it thuds a little at the beginning of acceleration. It hasn't been a problem for me, however this is something else. I was driving a canyon road, rather quickly, and at the end of the run, I noticed the whine. It was subtle and not noticeable in driving. However as I continue to drive it, the whine has become much more noticeable under acceleration, along with a "Wub Wub wub" noise under deceleration. While decelerating, the noise goes away if I give it a tad of gas, then comes back when i dig my foot in deeper. When turning in parking lots, i sometimes hear a grinding noise and a vibration in my wheel. I need to do something about this soon, and honestly do not have the money for something major. I'm a college student with about 500 bucks in my bank account. Carrier doesn't seem like it would be the problem, however if this situation sounds familiar, I'd love to hear its cheaper than i first thought

Any opinions would be appreciated
I have the exact same symptoms of a whine getting louder, wub wub, noise and vibration when I decelerate everything you mentioned.. Can anyone give me some info? It almost sounds like a new drive shaft is in order?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Well it could be a bad bearing. If you turn to the left or right does the sound go away or get louder? if you go in reverse does it still do it or do you here a clunk. It also could be your prop shaft bearing on your driveshaft. if its a vibrates and it feels like its coming from the center of the car then my guess its the prop shaft. There are a few posts here that can get you on that track. I have a good used one if needed. pm me for more info.

Good Luck,

The Dr!

Old 11-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have similar symptoms in my X-Type now that the temperature has reached -10*C in my area. The whining sound is coming from under the dashboard and the pitch goes higher with velocity (doesn't change with transmission gear changes).

What's so puzzling to me is that for the first minute or two of driving in the freezing cold there's no sound at all. Then after that the sound starts and is most noticeable at 30-60km/h. After a few more minutes of driving it goes away, but sometimes it comes back later in the trip - always in the 30-60km range; never at higher speeds.

Thoughts?

Old 11-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

Peakster, get yourself a grease gun and a needle attachment. Crawl under the car and underneath the car (about where the backs of the front seats are), you will see a bearing there holding the rear driveshaft in place. Slide the needle attachment into the bearing and give it a good shot of termaline grease in 3-4 spots around the bearing. Take the car out for a drive and see how things are then. Odds are, your noise will go away.

If it doesn't, let us know and we can take things from there.

The following users liked this post:
Peakster (11-29-2014)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a jerking under deceleration now. I did the grease thing and no linger get the whine that sounds like it came from the a/c vents. It has been 20 degrees and below for a while and no noise. But this deceleration bucking is annoying me now. It's like the opposite of the hesitation you get under acceleration when you have vacuum leaks. Every once in a while it feels like a clunk under acceleration - but not consistently like a vacuum leak problem. Anyone get anything like this? How did you solve? I already rigged a bushing for the center bearing since it was pretty much missing and the drive shaft was just bouncing around - once secured it seemed fine. I know I probably just need to get the new drive shaft - but are there any other things to look out for before I plunk down $$$ for this...?