Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Estate Boot Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy X-Type Estate Boot Tool Kit

Hi Guys,

I've recently bought a 2008 X-Type Estate but the boot tool storage moulding only has the wheel nut spanner in it and appears to be missing everything else. I've seen an X-Type Jack for £25 on e-bay, but Halfords sell a 'Standard' jack for £15. I've tried to contact a few breakers yards near me, but they haven't got back to me. Would one of you guys be good enough to post a picture of what should be in one and i'll try and make up the missing parts or even if you could perhaps list exactly what should be there, that would be a start. I would have thought that a breakers yard would have loads of 'boot' tool kits, but 2 days of 'googling' has been unexpectedly fruitless. Still - managed to wash and polish the car today!

I'm not going to chase the dealer who sold it to me, as he is 150 miles away, so will try and source it or the 'bits' locally.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter (West Sussex - UK) (If anyone knows of any breakers nearby)

Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

..... the boot tool storage moulding only has the wheel nut spanner in it and appears to be missing everything else.
Without checking my boot contents...
I am assuming there is very little difference between 2007 and face lifted 2008 and also little difference between saloon and estate.
Items missing . The jack. This is very very similar to my Mondeo jack but stores away in a much worse way.
If you have locking wheel nuts the you should have a key.
If you have Jaguar domed locking wheel nuts then note down the letter stamped on the side of it. It will be in the range A to Z ( with a few omissions)

If you do not have a key report back!!

A towing eye (Left hand thread ) is stored somewhere.

Try an Ebay search for Jaguar x type jack and you will see several there and also the other bits

Last edited by henry k; 01-19-2014 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PilotPete (01-20-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pete,

Have you checked under the spare wheel. I have a 2005 x-type estate that I recently bought and thought the jack was missing - till I looked under the spare wheel.

Just a thought.

Eric

Last edited by SaltyOne; 01-19-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: wrong year!
PilotPete (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Further update.
My owners handbook gives no more information.
Have you checked under the spare wheel. I have a 2005 x-type estate that I recently bought and thought the jack was missing - till I looked under the spare wheel.
I have a full size spare wheel not a space saver.
From the Ebay images you can see what I think are the normal basic items.
My jack has to be opened part way before it is secured to the floor using the "L" shaped screw. To me it is illogical the way the jack has to be stored.
( My Ford jack is almost identical and it is stored closed which is easy to remember and gives more space for " spares etc)
The wheel nut wrench clips on the jack in a precise way.
I have taken a photo of the jack etc and keep that with the spare wheel so I get it right when repacking.
My spare wheel is then positioned ( face up ) over the jack and the white plastic cup is placed in the hub and secured with the other "? " shaped screw.

As previously mentioned the other items are the towing eye and the locking wheel nut key. These are in a narrow molding just inside the boot (trunk) with the eye by one rear light and the wheel nut fitting on its own by the other light.

I have no idea what the situation is if you have a space saver " emergency" wheel.

PilotPete (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Thanks

Thanks for your help guys, I will check. I have the locking wheel nut tool and I think I have the standard size spare wheel, so will check tomorrow in the daylight.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 PM

I have the locking wheel nut tool
So we can assume you have made a note (in several locations) of its letter that is stamped down its side ?

I have read several times that these tools are made of "cheese" and prone to split so maybe worth investigating undoing the security nuts.
The dome security nuts are in two parts. The notches in the dome should align with the part that is against the wheel before using the tool.

I understand that "Jaguar" spare locking wheel nut tools are difficult to obtain so used ones are a silly price.
UK Ebay £25 or several used ones at £35
I understand that some main dealers will remove such nuts ( owner has lost his key) but at a cost of a new set!!!

It would appear that ( provided you know the letter of your key) you can get a replacement by searching Ebay for Land Rover keys - the advert will say what letter. Ignore all other adverts that specify any other code.
These cost £16 . Very strange pricing. Not a prestige name like Jaguar !!!!
I also saw £113 for a key and four nuts.