X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type front brakes and limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x type front brakes and limp mode

Few questions regarding front brakes and limp mode on x type 2.0 diesel.

Just changed them to mintex instead of rubbish ones that were on previously. Car now stops. This is good. The disc rubs slightly on the calliper carrier so I want to add some shim to move calliper across to stop this. I,m not sure why this has happened as everything was nice and clean etc when putting new discs on. I did here something about nut on drive shaft not been tightened properly, but as I have never replaced one I don't know what this is on about. Anyway I rounded one of the bolts slightly when changing brakes so would like to replace them. Anybody any idea where to get them from or what the thread size is so I can just go to a nut and bolt shop and buy some?

Also regarding limp mode. Used to get it when accelerating up hills running on tesco diesel. Now use BP and this has stopped happening (for now). Strange. Have done all usual cleaning EGR etc and turbo arm moves fairly freely. Surely diesel should more or less be diesel. Or would this point to something else being not quite right. Knackered injectors or some crud in turbo maybe?

My last x type had problem when running at a constant speed 60 mph ish and kept spluttering and having a paddy (cured by terraclean). Might this help current issues. I want to be able to go up motorway slip roads and have confidence the thing isn't going to start sulking.

Any ideas regarding these two issues would be much appreciated. Thank you

Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Andy, can't speak to the brake issue. I would think that after a few stops, the caliper should center itself and get rid of the rub issue.

As for the limp mode issue, this could be simply caused by the one gas station having a lot of moisture/water in their diesel tank and what you are getting is sub-par fuel. Where, the BP station does not have water in their tank and therefore, would not have that issue. the thing you can try is going back to that other station and then putting in some dry-gas (or the equivalent for diesel) and then see if you have the same problem. if you don't, then you have confirmed the issue.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The fuel filter has a drain off screw/plug on the underside, to remove collected water.
Don't empty the filter but drain off an egg cap full, and see if any water comes out.

Also when have you last replaced the fuel filter ?
Diesel fuel filters get blocked quicker than petrol equivalents.

Paul.

Last edited by Man on the hill; 05-30-2018 at 07:53 PM.