X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Front end lift seems to make sense for me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type Front end lift seems to make sense for me.

Greetings from Northern California.
I am new to this forum today.
I have a 2005 X-Type VDP and have read some of the posts about lifting the X-Type for more tire and ground clearance. Got some interesting information but would like to get more input on what I am planning to do and why.
First I only intend to lift the front end 1" to 1.5".
Reasons
1) Will level the car for appearance purposes.
2) Will allow the use of larger tires 26.5" vs 25" stock.
3) Front end only lift will give better headlight trajectory for dim lights.
4) Will scrape less parking lot curbs.
Some of the things I have found with this car are the headlight adjusters are crap and replacing them is a pain in the butt so visibility with dims is downright dangerous, my speedometer reads faster than I am actually going by about 3 MPH at 60 MPH and the car is lower in the front by about an inch and a half vs the back.
Seems like the benefits are clear.
Have a friend that has done top of strut extensions on other cars and is sure he can do the same on my X-Type.
Has anyone ever experienced the same issues as mine?
Has anyone ever done a lift on one of these and are you happy with the results?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 PM

Guess I should add my new signature.
Will get a new pic as soon as possible. I do have a new cat on the hood not in this pic.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I don't think lifting is practical or feasible for this car..We've al learned to gauge or distance from curbs and rarely does anyone go off roading in these cars..The speedo is set up for the current tire size and the geometry of the suspension is balanced for this heigth...it's not a truck, so leave well enough alone..IMHO>

Last edited by DPK; 03-20-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 PM

DPK,
Thanks for the suggestion but I see way too many benefits to leveling it out.
Not sure if an XF owner would understand.
Even though the X-Type is a very pretty car, it is still just an AWD vehicle in a low price range intended to get me or my wife to work in any kind of weather.
It has the stock 225/45R17s but the spedo still reads faster that the car is actually going (larger diameter tires could correct this but definitely have some increased diameter room to ply with).
Head lights are too low with low beams and car slopes forward like a Honda Accord.
Definitely not going off roading but extra clearance and taller tires (say 215/55R17s) would be better in the snow.
The extra sidewall would provide protection for the rims from potholes as well. When I bought it, I had to replace a rime that was dented/cracked by the previous owner.
Its just begging to have the front end lifted an inch or so (nothing drastic) and larger diameter tires installed.
Would appreciate a reply from someone who actually has had the same issues.
Thanks just the same,

Old 03-21-2016, 07:03 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

1gr8lake...If I understand you correctly, you have a settling in the front..Sounds then that maybe you need new struts/springs to bring it back up to normal...Larger tires is not going to fix it, and will screw with the drive train if you only put larger ones in the front...which I hope is not your plan.

FYI...I comment here because I had an 03 X-type for 8 years from new before the XF..And the car sat perfectly level and I am quite familiar with these cars....First time it is driven in the snow will tear off the Transfer case cooling cowling underneath...if it's not already gone.

I'd have it checked by a Jag tech or a place that specializes in suspension or both, before I would start modifying the suspension...Just saying, because you may cause more headaches than a cure.

Last edited by DPK; 03-21-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Here is whats in the workshop manual.
Not sure if this is for the sport or the standard
Ride height is measured from the centre of the wheel to the apex of the wheel arch, through the wheel centre line. (see doc)
Front 371mm +-15mm
Rear 370mm +- 15mm

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ride height.pdf (63.4 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by Paulc732; 03-21-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulc732
Here is whats in the workshop manual.
Not sure if this is for the sport or the standard
Ride height is measured from the centre of the wheel to the apex of the wheel arch, through the wheel centre line. (see doc)
Front 371mm +-15mm
Rear 370mm +- 15mm
Just remember that AWD REQUIRES same size tires in all corners

Old 03-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think you're going to find anyone here who has lifted their x just to make up for worn or sagging suspension components. These cars have a natural forward rake to them and all you're going to do is get rid of its natural stance and exasperate the problems you already have by changing not only the tire size (quite drastically might I add) and changing the suspension and steering geometry.

When us modders around here lower our x, its not going any lower than the sport option (unless you're doing bags or coilovers and even then there's a good amount of work that needs to be done to do it successfully and safely) that is already available, in which fomoco/jaguar already calculated for. This car was never inteded to be lifted and I can promise you that lifting it is not the answer to your problems. The headlights are adjustable so if you want them to point higher (prayers for the people coming at you) then aim them higher. Need better snow traction? Get dedicated snow tires at a 205 or 215 series.

Dpk has been providing us with great advice for years so saying that he doesn't know what hes talking about because he drives an XF is ridiculous lol I used own and built a toyota pickup and I consider myself very knowledgeable about the truck even though I havent owned one in over 7 years...

People here will give you sound and straight to the point advice but you can only lead a horse to the water, you can't make em drink it...

Please don't lift your X, fix it...Unless you plan to turn it into a rolly monster then by all means...

Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 AM

There is nothing worn or sagging and the larger tires will fit easily on the rear with no lifting necessary.
The leveling I speak of is in appearance only. the measurements are taken from the ground to the bottom of the car just behind the front wheel and just in front of the rear wheel. Also taken from the front of the center door trim to the back of the door trim.
there is a difference of about 1" to 1.5".
And yes of course I would put the same size tires on all four corners.
Car is not a sport but a VDP as pictured.
Thanks everyone,

Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 PM

DPK,
First of all I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to anyone.
I was trying to enlist the the help of some who may have lifted their X as in this tread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...arance-117932/
I was told by my tire tech that I could go the stock 45 series (225/45R17 = 25X8.86R17) to 50 series tires (225/50R17 = 25.9X8.86R17) without any mods. He also said that with a slight lift of the front end I could use 215/55R17 = 26.3X8.5R17.
This is less than an inch an a half of diameter difference while reducing width by less than half an inch.
I didn't think this was that drastic so was trying to see if someone on this forum had ever gone to larger tires or done a slight lift on their X.
The tread above was helpful but was hoping to reach out to someone who has actually lifted the car and what were their results. Were they happy? Did they wish they had not done it? That sort of thing.
I thank everyone for their input and do not mean to sound like a non-drinking horse.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:38 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1gr8lake
DPK,
First of all I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to anyone.
No Problem..I didn't take it that way at all..I wish you luck in your efforts....Again, Maybe a suspension shop can help you decide..just an idea.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM

I hear you, 1gr8lake. I have the same problem on my car. I had to replace brand new tires after 10,000 miles because the inside edges on both fronts were worn right down. I changed the springs thinking they were sagging after 120,000 miles on the car. That didn't change the height at all. The car looks like it's nose diving but I don't know what else to do other than raise it. So I'm very interested in what you end up doing here. Keep us posted please.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:05 PM

02xtype,
My suspension guy is going to make something like this.

This one is for a Subaru but he says he can make one for the Jag.
If anyone finds anything better, please let me know.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:44 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Cool idea...any idea how it will fit?..I mean the spacer, does it go under the strut tower between the strut and the underside of the top of the tower?

Old 03-25-2016, 09:59 PM

if you put the spacer on,i reckon you will have to upgrade ,front springs and struts from comfort to sport to compensate for increased body roll created from all that weight being lifted higher in the air.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:18 AM

DPK,
The spacer attaches to the top of the strut tower and the top of the spacer will be shaped exactly like the top of the strut tower.
dougie,
1" should not create much of a noticeable body roll difference.

This modification is easily reversible. I will let everyone know how well it works.
It seems I am the guinea pig here. If it really works well I will tell others where they can buy the spacers etc.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:00 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Post pictures of the side profile of the car once you get this done..I'm curious as to how it will look compared to the rear end.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:45 PM

Could be a couple of weeks or so. Need time to design and fabricate + gotta have the cash. Along with the cost of the lift, will need to buy new tires. I also have a new set of front and rear drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.
When all is done, I will definitely post some before and after pics.
Will also report on how it feels, rides and handles.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (03-26-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 09:55 AM

Thanks for posting the picture of the spacer. Can't wait to see the car's profile once you install them.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Hell, I notice that when I put mine in gear, the drivetrain loads up and the back end squats on levels out the car.

My headlight adjusters work, so they just follow the squat.