Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an X-Type a good car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an X-Type a good car for me?

Hi,

I read a lot on the X-type and I realised that a lot of people are saying that it breaks a lot, is really expensive on parts/labor and that the AWD is useless...

I'm looking to buy a new car. New as in I didn't have yesterday and not new as in 2013! I want something with enough space in the back for 2 babies seat rear facing, AWD because 2 weeks ago we received 60cm (almost 2 foot) of snow, luxurious car (the vehicle I have to change is a 250 000km (156000Mil) Infiniti QX4 and my wife drive a Acura MDX), I'm a technician in mechanical engineering and I do pretty much all my mechanic and the other vehicle that I'm really interested in is a 2000 to 2002 Mercedes E-class 4Matic. I'm not looking for a Toyota because I understood a long time ago that the price to pay to have a car that you'll love is that you'll have to do more than just putting gas once a week and oil change every 2 months!

Do you think a X-type could be a good car for me?

Thank you very much for your input!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't really do work on my car myself, but I can at least share something my knowledge regarding the AWD. You probably already know that only 2.5 and 3.0 V6 models are AWD?

The early models (pre-2004) have a viscous coupling in the center differential (transfer case) to ensure neither front nor rear can hog all the power, and thus are quite nice to drive in bad conditions. Mine is a 2001, and pretty much goes wherever I want. I've only once gotten stuck once, in deep slush as this is no off-roader, and even then I just reversed back. Power is split 40% front and 60% rear, and so on snow it oversteers amusingly if you apply power in a corner. It's very easy to keep in control though, somehow predictable. Obviously, winter tires are a must, lest you end up performing as well as
;D

The latter ones lack the viscous coupling, and some have DSC instead to perform the same function (that is, the system applies brakes to a wheel that is spinning too quickly to force power transferred elsewhere), albeit to my understanding, still not as well. If AWD performance is important to you, then you should avoid those 2004+ models that don't have DSC, as they can reportedly get stuck if a single wheel out of four loses grip and starts spinning. Those VC-less and DSC-less units are the likely source of the claims that the X-Type AWD is "useless".

Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X Type. Is it for me? It is for me.

I have had many company cars : Mercedes, Audi, Fords (of all kinds) , Citroen and BMW (I have also owned Rovers and a MINI) but the most comfortable and reliable is my 2009 X Type 2.2 diesel sovereign.

Apart from a duff diesel filter (replaced free) it has been otherwise problem-free and not much more to run than my MINI (54 Cooper).

Not great for carting furniture about (despite its split and fold-down back seats) and not great for messy kids or dogs, but think of all the extra pleasure of having a great excuse for not having to take someones fridge on a long hike or the grandchildren to a McDonald's or a scratchy incontinent dog to the park!

Loads of extras that you don't get with the competition.

No regrets in buying one,Robert McCairley (Edinburgh).

Last edited by Robert Mccairley; 01-16-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

iceturbo, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find some pretty straight forward answers here and they may not be quite what you would expect. So, stick around and see what this site is like.

As for whether the car is going to be a good thing for you or not, when it comes to handling the family, the car will do what you want. It will have plenty of room to do what you need. So from that point of view, go for the car.

On the flip side, if you are looking for something that is going to be sporty and something that will go light to light, then this is going to be an EXPENSIVE!!!!! car to own. The transfer case on this car is the weak link and is a rather expensive part to replace (roughly $3000). You can plan on this car being a luxury sedan, not a sport sedan. It will cruise down the highway very nicely and not be any more expensive than any other vehicle on the road. But, you start driving the car hard and it will be hard on your wallet.

As for snow ability, like was mentioned, the 04+ vehicles have a different transfer case in them and rely on the dynamic stability control (DSC) to keep all 4 wheels pulling where the 02-03 vehicles have the viscous coupling and don't necessarily need the DSC to be capable. I have an 03 and it makes it through the snow just fine. Now, if you are looking for something to plow through 6+ inches of snow, then you need to be looking at an SUV as no sedan is going make it through 60 cm of snow. Hell, most full size trucks/SUVs are going to have issues if they are the first vehicle heading out. I know my Expedition with 37" tires would be challenged with snow like that. I would not even contemplate my X-Type.

If you have other questions, let me know. As you can see, I will call a spade a spade and not try to sugar coat the topic.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

We got 5" (12.7cm... ;-) of snow last night here in Boston MA. To get to work this morning I had to drive through some unplowed streets. I experienced some wheel spin and the DSC light flashed (indicating that it was correcting for wheel spin) but I made it without any difficulty.

The anti-lock brake system was also very active and there was a lot of "thumping" as I applied the brakes. Unfortunately, while slowly descending a fairly steep hill, the anti-lock brakes could not overcome the slippage and I ended up sliding down to the bottom, with the anti-lock system furiously "thumping" the brakes (whee...). Fortunately, there was a wide space at the bottom and I just slide to a stop.

Bottom line: don't worry about the AWD in these cars, as long as a 04+ is equipped with DSC.

Oh, I have a '05 3l auto with DSC

And, I getting kind of tired of people claiming that the X-Type is not a performance car. Just recall that when it first came out the auto mags did lots of comparisons against others of a similar type (A4, BMW 3, C-Class, Lexus IS, Saab Viggen, Lincoln LS/V6...they wished they could have had a V8!..., etc.) and the X-Type did reasonably well in all the performance categories (it didn't win, of course, BMW always wins...) but it did ok. So look, realize that it's a car with a design from the '90s, of course a 2013 Honda with 250+ hp is going to smoke it...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iceturbo
Hi,

I read a lot on the X-type and I realised that a lot of people are saying that it breaks a lot, is really expensive on parts/labor and that the AWD is useless...
I think it is more expensive. Parts and labor are more expensive than a "typical" car. I think this confuses people because you can buy an early model year of the car for very little money. Jaguar parts are just plain more expensive, comes with the territory. But it's all good! You'll be able to find ways around some of the costs through this forum, and you'll save a ton if you can do your own work. So make sure you do some searches on here. Most of the common issues have been discussed in detail. If you do take it to a local shop (not a dealership), you need to make sure they know what they're doing. Is there a model year/range you were looking at?

Cheers.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM

The X is a marginal a car. I have had 2. The 2005 was bought back after 2 yearsafter being in and our of the dealer for 10 months, for electrical problems that prevented the car from being driven. They could not fix it. It was replaced with the current 2007. I had to anti up buying this car at significant discount as part of the buy-back. 1500 miles out of warrenty the transfer case crapped and it was $3600 plus tow to buy it back. Yesterday I had it the dealer for front wheel bearing and rear control arm replacements. $1300+brakes still moan backing up when it is humid out. Heard it this morning when my wife drove off. Dealer is totally challenged to fix that problem. These cars are just plain crap. Look thru the posts for all these same issues I have experienced. If it were not my wifes car-she loves it, I would have burned it in my driveway. This is not the car my Mercedes is. The only semi-bright star in the dealer stay is that they gave me a new XF supercharcher to use till the X was done. Feels everybit a fast as my C5 but have no reason to believe it is any more reliable than the X. This spring, she get's my C class and I will trade the X on another MB. Put your money into something you will not have to constantly repairing.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Iceturbo, the question is not the car, the question is you. There are people that love the X Type (me) and people who hate it. Which will you be? What is it that you really want and need in a car? If you are buying it because you imagine it will be exciting and prestigious then you may be disappointed. What it is is a good, solid, potentially expensive luxury car, is that what you want?

P.S. They rust in the drivers door pillar (A pillar) and the driver's sill. Look there carefully before you buy.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I have had my 2007 (3.0l auto with DSC) since 2009. No major problems with it. No problem in snow with all season tires.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.
Please take a moment to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself so we can all say 'Hello'

Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>imagine it will be exciting and prestigious then you may be disappointed

Actually I disagree with that strongly. The one thing that my X-Type has in comparison to any A4, BMW 3, or C-Class, etc. is presence. Everybody notices it and they always say things like "Wow, I didn't know you owed a JAGUAR" (always with emphasis on Jaguar). I really can't image someone driving up in a 10 year old C230 can expect that...

The other thing is that you become a member of a very rich (not $ but possessing extended tradition) group. There is a much deeper history to this marque than to anything other than perhaps MB and you can "become" part of that, if you choose. My local club has members who own Jaguars from the late '40s to current models (and there have been lots of them) and someone even has a pre-war car that they are trying to restore. When we have a car show we're all together on the field side by side.

There are also enough "unusual" things about my X-Type that even XK-120 owners are interested ("what there's a Jaguar station wagon????").

Lexus, I think not...

================================================

Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
>imagine it will be exciting and prestigious then you may be disappointed

Actually I disagree with that strongly. ......
Obviously, you're in my first group

Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM

First of All, thank you all very much for your answers! I really appreciated to read everything you wrote.

Originally Posted by Thermo
As for whether the car is going to be a good thing for you or not, when it comes to handling the family, the car will do what you want. It will have plenty of room to do what you need. So from that point of view, go for the car.

On the flip side, if you are looking for something that is going to be sporty and something that will go light to light, then this is going to be an EXPENSIVE!!!!! car to own. The transfer case on this car is the weak link and is a rather expensive part to replace (roughly $3000). You can plan on this car being a luxury sedan, not a sport sedan. It will cruise down the highway very nicely and not be any more expensive than any other vehicle on the road. But, you start driving the car hard and it will be hard on your wallet.

As for snow ability, like was mentioned, the 04+ vehicles have a different transfer case in them and rely on the dynamic stability control (DSC) to keep all 4 wheels pulling where the 02-03 vehicles have the viscous coupling and don't necessarily need the DSC to be capable. I have an 03 and it makes it through the snow just fine. Now, if you are looking for something to plow through 6+ inches of snow, then you need to be looking at an SUV as no sedan is going make it through 60 cm of snow. Hell, most full size trucks/SUVs are going to have issues if they are the first vehicle heading out. I know my Expedition with 37" tires would be challenged with snow like that. I would not even contemplate my X-Type.
When I was younger, I had a Eagle Talon (same thing as a Mitsubishi Eclipse). I did 250 km/h (about 156MPH) on the highway so many times and did so many street races I can't even remember them all... Things are different now that I have 1 beautifull daughter and other thing too small to know if it's a boy or a girl! I'm planning on buying a BMW E36 and use it for track only, so I'm not looking for a racing machine! I'm looking for a car that I will love to be in and that will be a good daily driver 365 day a year!

By the way, is the transfer case separated from the tranny or it's all in the same casing?

I know that a car is not an SUV! I drove my Talon on a "unopened" road with about 12-15 inches of snow for many hundred yards! But when it's still snowing or it just finished, the snow is so light, it's easy to pass through (not sure about the spelling) it... After a couple of days, it gets packed and you really need an SUV because you'll break you bumper!

Originally Posted by Andahaion
I think it is more expensive. Parts and labor are more expensive than a "typical" car. I think this confuses people because you can buy an early model year of the car for very little money. Jaguar parts are just plain more expensive, comes with the territory. But it's all good! You'll be able to find ways around some of the costs through this forum, and you'll save a ton if you can do your own work. So make sure you do some searches on here. Most of the common issues have been discussed in detail. If you do take it to a local shop (not a dealership), you need to make sure they know what they're doing. Is there a model year/range you were looking at?

Cheers.
My definition of a reliable car, it's a car that will always bring you from point A to B and that include starting! If I drive the car and I realise I should eventually change all the brake or the chocks or a sensor or a wheel bearing or spark plug wire, BUT it always starts and always make me go from point A to B it's reliable! It would need more care, yes, but reliable! Like I said earlier, I used to have a Eagle Talon. It was a 1991 turbo AWD (VC like the X-type by the way) it had 300Hp and was doing the Ľ miles in about 13 flat... I bought the car 4500$ (10 years ago) but 5000$ in it and sold it for 1500$ because the tranny was all broken (the wheel couldn't even turn, there was no more neutral). Every time I was getting into this car, I didn't know if it was gonna start... I can't count the number of time the engine died while I was driving... But I have some of my best memories in this car! I did 250 km/h (about 156MPH) on the highway so many times and did so many street races I can't even remember them all... So if for you your Jaguar is unreliable because you have 1 light in your dash per month that cost 2-300$ it's nothing! But if your telling me that it's your second transfer case (I think you say transfer box) and your third tranny, then yes, your car is unreliable!

If I buy a Jaguar, it will be with the 3.0L V6 and with the less millage... I would like with the VC but I read that these model had a lot more problem and they fixed a lot of those problem when they took the VC out... SO it look like it will be better AWD with more problem or not as good AWD with less problem!

Originally Posted by gonecruzin2
The X is a marginal a car. I have had 2. The 2005 was bought back after 2 yearsafter being in and our of the dealer for 10 months, for electrical problems that prevented the car from being driven. They could not fix it. It was replaced with the current 2007. I had to anti up buying this car at significant discount as part of the buy-back. 1500 miles out of warrenty the transfer case crapped and it was $3600 plus tow to buy it back. Yesterday I had it the dealer for front wheel bearing and rear control arm replacements. $1300+brakes still moan backing up when it is humid out. Heard it this morning when my wife drove off. Dealer is totally challenged to fix that problem. These cars are just plain crap. Look thru the posts for all these same issues I have experienced. If it were not my wifes car-she loves it, I would have burned it in my driveway. This is not the car my Mercedes is. The only semi-bright star in the dealer stay is that they gave me a new XF supercharcher to use till the X was done. Feels everybit a fast as my C5 but have no reason to believe it is any more reliable than the X. This spring, she get's my C class and I will trade the X on another MB. Put your money into something you will not have to constantly repairing.
Thank you for this comment about Jaguar and Mercedes!

(I love the way you put your 2 corvettes one on top of the other!!!)

Originally Posted by Tony_H
Iceturbo, the question is not the car, the question is you. There are people that love the X Type (me) and people who hate it. Which will you be? What is it that you really want and need in a car? If you are buying it because you imagine it will be exciting and prestigious then you may be disappointed. What it is is a good, solid, potentially expensive luxury car, is that what you want?
Now I'm shopping because I imagine it will be exciting and prestigious! If I knew, I would have bought! Now I'm trying to see if this car could me the right one for me... What I don't want is to buy a car thinking it will be easy to fix like a Ford and realising I have to go to specialised places to order parts from England just like Land Rover!

Thank you all again for your post and if you have anything to ad it will be a pleasure for me to read you!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Let me give you my sincere opinion.
I have a 2002 3.0 X-type and I suppose I have been lucky (still the same TC and tranny), but replaced rear differential under warranty.
Is it a great car???? Yes... Why????
-Looks great
-Lots of extras
-Prestige
-Very comfortable even with sport suspension
-Lots of Room
-The AWD is good enough for me
-Lots of very helpfull information on this forum
-A pleasure to drive
-Is very cheap if you buy it second hand
Is it a bad car???? Yes.... Why????
-Prone to failure
-VERY expensive parts and usually very hard to find
-servicing it sometimes is a nightmare (for example to change the spark plugs you need to remove the intake ..... some fluids <<with full jag specs>> are very hard to find at a good price )
-If you what to sell it later it is worth close to nothing.

Bottom line......
I bough mine with in 2005 and I have 150K Km on it.
At the time (I really wanted a Jag) there were no cars that were even close in looks , price, performance and extras .
But to be honest after browsing so many years around X-Type forums and reading what happened to so many of our "friends" I got scarred .
I think that today I WOULD NOT buy an X-type (it is too much of a risk).

Just my opinion.
Regards

Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I have a 2005 with 120K+ miles and it has been very reliable. Goes very well in the snow in daily commutes to work. My opinion is to buy a car with a known history of maintenance and maybe even get it inspected ahead of time. Then if you keep up with the maintenance (and it sounds like you are very capable and willing to do that) chances are good it will be very reliable for you. Generally, there are just a few things that plague our cars and can be fixed fairly easy with the help available here. I say go for it.

The only thing that might be a problem for you are the car seats. The backseat is usable, but depending on how far back you have to have the seat when you drive it might be a very tight fit getting the car seats in and out. You can easily do a test fit when shopping to make sure. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

iceturbo, the transfer case and the tranny are 2 separate pieces. So, if one fails, you only are replacing that specific unit.

From the sounds of things, the X-Type is going to be a good car for you. I have an 03 and for the 5 years that I have owned it, I have had to put very little work into it. I am doing a major refreshening to my car (lower ball joints, struts, strut bearings, tie rod ends, rear shocks, and a possible upgrade to the upper rear control arm). But, this is more of my own doing and desires. I do have a slight wobble in the steering wheel, but that is normally from the alignment being off by just a little bit. Nothing really serious.

I think you will love getting out on the highway, setting the cruise and letting the miles tick off as you enjoy the comforts. With that being said, the X-Type is going to not be quite the ride of say an S-Type or even an XJ. For the little bit extra that the S-Type or XJ is going to run, if the AWD is not a "must have", I would say to look at those. The creature comforts and whatnot that you get with those cars is going to be well worth the money spent. Looking back, I wish I would have spent the money to get the XJ. But, hind sight is 20/20.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Thank you all for your good answers!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Guys and Ice Turbo,
What an awesome delightful array of opinions you have here! I know little of the VC or the DSC and can only say that of the 3 X~Types I have driven, the 2.5 AWD is terrific. I am 6ft 3" and am totally comfortable in it. The AWD variant is gutsy, but I think that is a small price for a very capable car and when it comes to snow, it leaves other cars, like the X5 and other lookalike 4x4's a run for their money. It is not a jeep or a landrover, they are all terrain and the X~Type is not. Having said that it would be a great get away car as it moves when you apply the pedal as a Jag should. Ice Turbo, you have kids and need the back seats for baby chairs, that would not be an issue at all. I would struggle in the back and to be honest, the X~Type was designed as a compact exec. Before I tried the X~Type, I wasn't sure what car I would go for as I had always struggled, felt unsafe, or uncomfortable in many pool/company cars I have driven and I was never happy with the square rather dull designs of modern cars in general! When I bought my first X~Type things changed, then I bought the AWD 2.5 and hey, the right car found me! If I won the lottery, the X~Type would always be in my company, ahem, the cute XKR, the XJR350, the Mark II and the double~6 would be there too, but for all round capability the X~Type would be the last to go. When I was carless last year, I took a train to Liverpool and drove back the 300 miles to Perth and it was a pure joy to drive again, in the car I believe to be one of the best designs ever. However, I got lost coming out of Liverpool as I had never driven on the West side of England and believe me I wsn't bothered at all, in fact I LOVED EVERY MINUTE!
Every time I look at an X~Type, I am in awe, there is no other car like it! I call it the baby XJ as I couldn't afford the bigger cars at the time and the 2.5 X~Type is AWD! I have driven in all weathers and when the winter was really bad, 3 years ago, in Aberdeenshire, I drove round the clock when all the company vehicles were stranded, left in the car park or abandoned at the roadside.
I am aware that Jaguars are expensive to run but I do believe if you have a good one and treat it right, it's like a Good Woman, it repays you in Delightful ways!
I thought I knew how to drive in snow, before I bought the X~type and to be honest, it taught me to drive better! I respect the car totally and I also respect others to make their choices in a free world. I personally would go for an X~Type that has a good service history and if older, pre 04, I would check if it has had a new transfer box as some were recalled and check the paperwork. 05 models and up are okay, I believe as many glitches were sorted around that time! I wish you luck with your dilemma and as for me, the X~Type is the only one! That's for sure, Stu
If Life is worth Living, Live the Dream in Utopia!

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 01-22-2013 at 09:51 AM.