X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type key cutting and programming

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-type key cutting and programming

When I bought my x-type it only came with one key/fob. My fob buttons have worn out and I've been useing the key to lock and unlock the door. I want to get a new key so I dont were out the only one key I have and to also have a spare. The closest dealer to me quated about $600 just for a new key. Thats ridiculous!!! ... I'm aware of buying the 315mhz fob with blank key and being able to program the fob. does anyone know of a cheaper place to get a blank key cut and programmed in and around southern Pennsylvania - Maryland area?.
Also ...if i purchased a blank key/fob from ebay and was able to have it cut and then programmed the fob useing my original key/fob with ii-iii ignition method would i be able to start the car with the new key/fob? ...

Old 11-22-2016, 07:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was in the same boat. Car came with one key and the fob was worn out.
Bought a pair off eBay for $38. Jag dealer cut and programmed for $125..... total.
My understanding is that locksmiths that do cars can also do the programming, but I didn't look into that personally.

Keep in mind you need to program the transponder in the key fob (the KEY half of the fob) to the car. Programming the fob's buttons has nothing to do with programming the key to the car. And you can do the buttons easily.

You can only program a key.....to the car.... if you have 2 original keys.

Does that help?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! ...thats what I thought. Fortunately I was able to find a place to have the new key cut and programmed at a locksmith for $75.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I think a good "sticky" would be listing the places we can get the keys cut and our cars programmed.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I've got similar job pending. Bought a key/fob from Amazon for $30 that local Fort Worth dealership wanted $200 for. Same dealership quoted me $10 to cut the key (test fit in their machine OK) and $150 of labor for tech to program. I'll report results when I get it done.

Last edited by swingwing; 11-24-2016 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Changed sentence.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
I've got similar job pending. Bought a key/fob from Amazon for $30 that local Fort Worth dealership wanted $200 for. Same dealership quoted me $10 to cut the key (test fit in their machine OK) and $150 of labor for tech to program. I'll report results when I get it done.
When I did mine, I bought a pair off eBay.....

Went and looked and it was from THIS SELLER and they were $38.88 total for the pair.

I'm using the old key with the funky fob as my emergency key. The 2 new ones are what we're carrying daily. Jag dealer did this really cheap once I got the selling dealer (same owner both dealerships) to get involved.

I'm believing you can get this done far less expensively IF you find a locksmith that has the equipment to program the key transponder.
However, after having been a locksmith for a few years, I can tell you that whether or not anyone has the equipment in your area would be hit or miss and require a few phone calls.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
I used to work at Autobahn Fort Worth.
I cannot cut keys but I can configure keys to Jaguars 1988-2009.

I am not too far away from you. Let me know if you need help.

bob