X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type leaking inside on floorboard -Resolved

Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default X-type leaking inside on floorboard -Resolved

I just recently purchased a 2005 X-type and have had several problems, unfortunately this weekend I encountered another one. After driving for about a hour my wife noticed the passenger floorboard was soaking wet. I tried tracing the water back up and it was coming from the firewall behind the radio in the dash. Is this a heater core? or is there some common problem it may be? It hasn't encountered any rain or car wash that would of caused. Thank you

Last edited by steveinfrance; 09-05-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Paul,
I've moved your post to the X type section.
Please take time to visit the New Member area and introduce yourself.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Paul,

If your heater core was leaking, you'd be getting coolant and not water in the footwell.

Both the XJ and XK models have issues from time to time with blocked or detached AC drains which dumps water in the footwell. I'm not an X-Type owner but your issue does sound as if it may be similar to this.

The Parts Manual lists an Evaporator Drain Tube (item 10 in this diagram):

The Workshop Manual (JTIS) refers to Heater Core Drain Tube (arrowed):

You could have a drain tube come adrift or split. Over to the X-Type experts!

Graham

Attached Thumbnails X-type leaking inside on floorboard -Resolved-x-type-heater-drain-tube.jpg   X-type leaking inside on floorboard -Resolved-x-type-heater-core-drain-tube.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Paul, welcome to the forums. A few of our members have experienced what you are going through. I bet you had the A/C system on. If this is the case, then what you need to do is to first try removing the cabin filter and with the car off, spraying a bunch of Lysol (or other anti-bacterial spray) into the opening behind the filter. This will allow the spray to rest in the bottom of the heat core area. The spray will kill off the gunk that is building up in the drain tube. After doing the spray, you will want to wait a little bit, then start the car with the windows rolled down to allow the spray to be expelled from the ventilation system.

If that does not work, then you will have to access the ventilation system near the blower and using a wand of some sort (I use 1/4" OD copper tubing), you will need to stick that into the piping and then work around till you can get the end of the tube near the drain line. From there, you can blast some compressed air to push the plug out of the way. From there, if you can get some water in there to do a good flush to push out whatever may be left.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Yes, a similar thing happened to my X-Type last year when, on a hot muggy day condensate began to run down into the passenger foot well.

Took it to the dealer and they tried to blow out the drain line but were unsuccessful and unfortunately had to remove the dash to remove the blockage (lots of leaves, I park the car under a tree with very small leaves and of the years they obviously were able to collect enough to prevent cleaning via compressed air).

Remove your cabin air filter and see how much gunk has collected. Hopefully you will be able to clean it out and avoid the $500 I had to spend.

Oh, there has been no problem since the dealer did the clean up, so they obviously got whatever it was that blocked the drain.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks guys for the quick replies! I noticed after taking a trip down the coast and was driving with the AC all day about 6-8 hours and it was 100+ outside. It has been extremely hot here the last few weeks and givin that I just purchased the vehicle and park in a garage now doesn't mean it wasn't parked under a tree. I will pull out the cabin filter and begin working on it tonight.

I did notice, I used a white towel to soak up the leaking water and it was in fact water. My coolant is a red color and the towel was completely white

Thank you

Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM

I want to say a huge thanks to Pab, Thermo, and GGG! I sprayed a full can of Lysol in there and let it soak for about an hour while I searched online for the location of the drain tube.

I came across a post on this forum suggesting to turn the fans on high and close all the vents and it will blow it out...

I turned the fans on low & recirculate and closed all the vents, I opened and closed the middle vents many times to cause pressure fluctuation. I did this for a couple minutes and go out and looked underneath again and guess what...

There was about 2 cups of water on the garage floor and their wasnt minutes before. I ran it for about 15 minutes and the puddle underneath only got bigger and no more leaks on the inside so far. I will update in a few days, we're gonna have another hot streak here in Cali so I will know soon

The following 3 users liked this post by 209Paul:
'05 Gold XJ8L VDP (10-06-2016), rm1111 (11-05-2021), RudyF6 (06-28-2021)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 209paul
i want to say a huge thanks to pab, thermo, and ggg! I sprayed a full can of lysol in there and let it soak for about an hour while i searched online for the location of the drain tube.

I came across a post on this forum suggesting to turn the fans on high and close all the vents and it will blow it out...

I turned the fans on low & recirculate and closed all the vents, i opened and closed the middle vents many times to cause pressure fluctuation. I did this for a couple minutes and go out and looked underneath again and guess what...

There was about 2 cups of water on the garage floor and their wasnt minutes before. I ran it for about 15 minutes and the puddle underneath only got bigger and no more leaks on the inside so far. I will update in a few days, we're gonna have another hot streak here in cali so i will know soon

i want to clarify. The fans were on high not low. Thermostat was turned to "lo"

Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Great result. Quick and low cost which isn't always the case with Jaguars!

The carpet needs to be thoroughly dried out before the backing or underlying insulation begins to rot.

Perhaps not the message you want to hear with temperature in excess of 100 degrees but the easiest way to do this is run the heater on high with distribution set to the footwells and the windows open about an inch.

Graham

Stuart Beattie (01-23-2013)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

If it is 100F outside, park the car outside with the sunroof cracked open (or a side window) and the heat that builds up in the car (will approach about 150F) will be enough to dry out the carpeting in an afternoon.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 PM

Thanks guys, I left a fan on it for about 12 hours and it seems to off dried it out pretty well. I had the leak disappear and now by the end of day I noticed a small leak still but still drainage outside. Closed the vents and redid the first procedure, same results tons of water on the ground. I'm guessing it is a partial blockage, I am still going to change the hose. Does anyone have a tsb or white papers on how to remove the condensation drain tube?

Thank you

Old 09-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

I think I have a similar problem. Yesterday I got into my car and the smell was nasty. Smelled like old wet socks. As soon as the AC started the smell went away. After leaving it sitting for a while the smell was back. I'm thinking I have some sort of contamination in the AC pipes. I'm going to try this AC flush thing with Lysol today.

Last edited by flyrr100; 09-09-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Stuart Beattie (01-23-2013)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Having this problem. Very small leak but I want to get it taken care of. To clarify, do you use Lysol aerosol spray or liquid? And do you spray into the air intake in the cabin filter housing?

Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

GBS, it really doesn't matter. You want the Lysol to build up in the water that is gathered at the bottom of the plenum.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone make a video of what they did I'm a newbie with a 20002 x type 3.0 ?

Old 06-30-2022, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by rm1111
Can someone make a video of what they did I'm a newbie with a 20002 x type 3.0 ?
here is a video on how to "properly" replace the cabin filter...

and here is a video on how to do it much more easily... without removing the wipers.

Spray the lysol into the opening behind the filter.
Replace the filter with something that is high quality like a Mann filter.

Last edited by cdmjag; 06-30-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Or... use this, it is new technology that encapsulates orders and COMPLETELY eliminates them. I did my interior, some prior owner smoked in it and had some other unpleasant odors. Fresh as a daisy after using. No residual scent. Used it in the cabin filter when I changed it and no smells through the vents.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Or... use this, it is new technology that encapsulates orders and COMPLETELY eliminates them. I did my interior, some prior owner smoked in it and had some other unpleasant odors. Fresh as a daisy after using. No residual scent. Used it in the cabin filter when I changed it and no smells through the vents.
that makes sense to control odor if it is an issue, but this thread is about clearing a clogged ac condensate drain by spraying Lysol into the cabin air intake and letting it do its job to kill bacteria and open the clogged drain line.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Ummmm...read what this does...KILLS BACTERIA same as lysol only better, smfh.