X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type Modifications

Before I explain my situation just want to be clear that I am a complete novice at this and this is only my second car, I also reside in U.K.

I am in the process of purchasing a Jaguar x type, reason ala exepat love his car.

I want to make some modifications but due to my limited budget I need some advice.

I want to lower the car as much as possible but cannot afford air bag suspension. I need to be able to clear speed bumps as this would be my everyday car. The coilovers and springs I have seen do not give enough drop to the car I am looking for something that would hopefully give about 3-4 inches drop.

Any advice and suggestions on springs or coilovers that can do this would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where to look.

Also if I use 17-18 inch tyres combined with lowering the car will that give it a better lowered and even look? I assume bigger tyres will give it a little lift.

I personally would love to imitate exepats x type (exterior wise) but have a big lack of knowledge and finance, therefore would love to get as close to it as possible in terms of lowering.

Any advice and suggestions greatly appreciated, my sincere apologies if I done or said anything inappropriate.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Navi1985, Welcome to the Forums and you will probably find that what I tell you is not going to be to your liking. But, it is what it is.

As for dropping the height of your car, you are pretty much out of luck. You will find that you are going to have the "sport" springs and then you are into the air bag setup. All the sport/lowering springs I am aware of drop the height of the car by 1.4" (37mm?). Now you are just picking between a brand name and some no name spring. To go beyond the 1.4" drop, you are looking at custom work. As you can imagine, that is going to be lots more money than the simple springs you have been seeing.

As for the size rim that you can run, I would no worry about that so much as the overall tire diameter. I have 16" rims on my truck, but the tires are 37" in diameter. What you are interested in to maximize the overall lowering of the car is going with a smaller diameter tire while still having something that fits on the car. With this being said, you can not drop below a 16" rim. To go smaller will result in the rim making contact with the braking system and therefore not allow you to mount the wheel to the car.

Hopefully this gives you a starting point to ponder what you want. As you think of more questions, post them up. We will tell you what we have found. On that note, you will probably get a lot more response if you post these questions in the X-Type Forum rather than here in the UK Forum. There you might even get a few encouraging words from exexpat himself.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Thermo

Could you provide me any details about these springs that you are talking about, as would like to lower my x-type estate but not looking for a large drop (yet). Do you run these springs or have had dealings with them? If you have how much dose it affect the handling/feel of the car?

Originally Posted by Thermo
Navi1985,
As for dropping the height of your car, you are pretty much out of luck. You will find that you are going to have the "sport" springs and then you are into the air bag setup. All the sport/lowering springs I am aware of drop the height of the car by 1.4" (37mm?). Now you are just picking between a brand name and some no name spring. To go beyond the 1.4" drop, you are looking at custom work. As you can imagine, that is going to be lots more money than the simple springs you have been seeing.

Thanks

Glen

Old 05-06-2015, 04:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,793 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Navi1985
Before I explain my situation just want to be clear that I am a complete novice at this and this is only my second car, I also reside in U.K. ............
Welcome to the forum Navi1965,

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to X-Type forum. This is the place to post tech questions about the X-Type. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Soundboy, I do not have any personal experience with these but I have been following what others have done and their experiences. In short, using the drop springs, you can plan on a slight rise in ride harshness. Some experience more than others, but this could also be because they went with a larger diameter rim at the same time. There are a few manufacturers of the lowering springs. They all seem to offer the same amount of drop with the same ride affect.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

3 to 4 inches lower on a budget just won't happen unless you have a large budget. Exexpat has the lowest x I know of, and I have the 2nd lowest I know of. I did mine static (meaning without airbags) and im pretty sure that air is cheaper than what I did haha. I am also stuck low unless I get under the car and raise it up. Once you go lower than like 2 inches you also have to buy adjustable upper rear arms to get your alignment correct, you also have to clearance the fender wells if you want to drive the car that way. My best advice would be to buy some quality lowering springs for now, and start saving for that air suspension if that's what you really want. There is NO cheap route.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:23 AM

Could someone specify the length, inside diameter, spring rate, spring travel of a standard set for a x type 2.5l v6 estate springs?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundBoy
Could someone specify the length, inside diameter, spring rate, spring travel of a standard set for a x type 2.5l v6 estate springs?
Have you looked in the JTIS Workshop Manual for the specifications? It is a free download from this forum.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 391 Likes on 288 Posts

18s on eigbach springs
no rubbing good ride volvo contol arms for camber

in action
some where in the video you will see it

Last edited by dennis black; 05-10-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:11 PM

ok I have found this

Has anyone got any better specs or is it best finding out at the dealership

Rear road springs comfort high Green/Green C2S 20845
Rear road springs comfort low Green C2S 20843
Rear road springs sport high Violet/Violet C2S 20846
Rear road springs sport low Violet C2S 20844

Old 06-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Led Mod

Dennis,

After you unscrewed, and disengaged all the wiring to trunk emblem. What did you use to release the adhesive that seems to keep the badge extra secure to the car?