X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type Muffler Delete

Hey guys , sorry if this has been asked before , or if I'm in the wrong place ( Ive searched around but didnt see anything , just people asking about exhausts not muffler deletes ) . But I'm looking into buying a 02-05 X Type , either a 3.0 or 2.5 ( Either one. Whatever I find in my price range ) and I'm wondering if a Muffler Delete would sound good on one ? I found a couple of videos etc but I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how it sounds in person ? I would want a deep growl , not a Honda civic sound. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Libmo, first off, welcome to the Forums. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch here and we like to get to know each other. We pride ourselves in being a different car group and once you get in and see what we do, you will see how that sets us apart. This also gives you a chance to meet the people that make this place what it is.

Now, for your question. Doing a muffler delete is not a good idea with this car. The big issue is that the exhaust system is already pretty free flowing and the overall gains are going to be minimal. But, by deleting the mufflers, you can reduce the back pressure of the exhaust system to the point that it will start throwing up all sorts of error codes and in general make your life hell trying to get rid of them. Some members have tried what you are contemplating and while some of them got away with it, others had big issues.

You can get the sound that you are after by simply changing out the muffler. This is going to be somewhat hit and miss. This is where you are going to need to ask around and find out what people are running in other cars that have the sound that you are after. Odds are, you are going to end up with a single chamber style muffler with say a 3.5" outlet port. The larger port is going to act like a "tuned port" and by having a wider opening (and if possible a longer tube), you can create a deeper tone. What you will probably find is a lot of trucks are going to have your sound. But, most of these are going to have a 4-5" diameter pipe that is about 18" long (the tuned port/pipe).

Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out what it takes to get the sound that you are after.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-31-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, it's unlikely to sound like a Civic since the displacement is greater and it's a V6, but I'm fairly sure it'll still end up unpleasantly and obnoxiously loud even when idling. The exhaust note might not sound good at all, because the mufflers not only quieten things down but also shape the exhaust note. A loud exhaust noise that's just "noise" is simply embarrassing. To me, my car sounds a bit obnoxious and boomy on idle in underground garages, and the mufflers I have (Mina Gallery) are still fairly restrained as far as performance exhausts go. I still have the original mufflers in case I decide to put them back, especially if I sell the car.

Oh, Thermo was faster
Anyway, check the videos here and the two clips here.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I wouldn't say that the stock exhaust is already very free flowing and cause codes to pop if you take the mufflers out. The stock exhaust is VERY restrictive, but biggest restriction is in the pipe size and the stock exhaust manifolds/cats, not so much the mufflers. That's why you don't get much of a power increase with aftermarket mufflers, just sound. The reason for the codes is just that these cars can be temperamental it seems and everyone seems to have different experiences with them.

As for deleting the mufflers, doing that on any car generally makes the car sound bad, unless its a V8 with headers and 3 inch pipe. When you get your X-type, take out the resonator first and see how you like the sound. Also when you remove the resonator you can see what it would sound like without mufflers by starting the car before you connect the exhaust back together.

Hearing someone talk about deleting mufflers always makes me think the person wants to mod the car for as cheap as possible and if that's what you want to do, don't by a Jaguar. If you really want to modify a car like the X-type be prepared to spend some money.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys! I had a Wrx Sti with a muffler delete and it sounded great! ( To me at least). I'm pretty sure I'll still try it for kicks, but I'll order some mufflers as soon as I do. Any mufflers you guys would recommend that won't break the bank? I'm looking for something that sounds as far away from a rice burner as possible.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

The first link in my post contained sound clips of pretty much all mufflers commonly fitted on these cars. Since you're in USA, I'd say go for Mina Gallery as they are based in USA. Borlas are also apparently good but IIRC Mina Gallery stopped selling them and made their own because they found the quality of Borlas lacking.

My first non-stock mufflers were the Adamesh ones, but I replaced them with the Mina Gallery mufflers because I found them too loud for my taste. I do have a somewhat sensitive ear, so your mileage may wary.

Adamesh, Borla and Mina Gallery all ought to be relatively similar in terms of price, though shipping from UK may push Adamesh higher than the others. Arden is several times as expensive.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the magnaflows, always used them in my previous cars and found them to be well built and the sound to be ever so subtle...just my style.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM

I like the Mina Gallery mufflers personally. They also look great and fit really well since they are designed for the X-type.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Ah dang, I was just about to get the rear mufflers chopped off too. Glad I read your comments. Would hate to throw an engine code. They must rely on the back pressure from the stock mufflers. I was afraid of losing all my low-end torque by opening up the exhaust with straight pipes or straight through mufflers. I have to decide now. Maybe go with a chamber style muffler to keep some of the back pressure. I was checking out the Thrush Turbo mufflers, as an alternative to the Magnaflows, but after hearing some sound clips I wasn't too impressed. They make your car sound like a generic 1980's sports car. The flowmasters are cool, I think they would sound good on a Jaguar which would look more refined but sound kind of beasty.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 PM

Aren't the Adamesh mufflers straight through though? If so that wouldn't really make sense why it would be any different running straight pipes for the engine codes. I agree, straight pipes might not sound as sophisticated as a quality exhaust, but I am just wondering if it would cause an error code. My guess is no because straight pipes are pretty popular on a lot of the other newer Jag models. The whole exhaust upgrade is just a giant pain in the neck if you are trying to do it by yourself through the internet. First you have to decide on a muffler, than try to figure out which size to get, then try to find a tip that will fit that you like that doesn't cost more than the muffler than you have to take it to a shop and have them install it and hope it all fits.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of straight pipes being terribly popular in Jags other than the XK8/XK/XKR, and perhaps the F-Type?

The Mina Gallery ones are also straight-through. To my knowledge being straight-through means the pipe bit going through the muffler is straight, in other words there are no chambers or bends inside the muffler, but there can still be all sorts of perforations and chambers and stuff in the muffler itself.

I don't like this sound, it's an S-Type 3.0 (same engine practically as the 3.0 X-Type) without mufflers:

The problem I think is that you're not going to buy a bespoke system, which would just fit perfectly and sound good. Trying to do a custom setup out of mix & match bits on a budget and hoping it comes out right on the first try might be more difficult than you think.

As you may know I tried both Adamesh and Mina Gallery, and the whole story ended up costing me $1500 (minus of course what I got when I sold the Adamesh mufflers). I'd say just go for the Mina Gallery when you can, as it is more comfortable when cruising and I personally found the sound better-defined. Of course, I also like being able to change the exhaust tips if I feel like it, and I've had 3 different ones already, of which the last one I most prefer both aesthetically and acoustically.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I like the way the mina gallery exahust sounds and the quad tips are cool, my magnaflows are probably a hair milder than the mina...if not exactly the same sounding.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Yea I agree that S-Type sounds like crap. I was planning on leaving my center resonator and the rest of the stock pipe in place though, so that would cut down on a little of the harshness and my car is probably more tuned up than that S Type I'm guessing. I didn't know they made 3.0 S Types, I thought they were all 4.0's. I agree though, I am also not a big fan of straight pipes. They only sound good on a few cars. I would much prefer the sound of a high quality exhaust to the chugging of a modern car with no mufflers. I may try it on my car anyways just to see how it sounds.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 01-28-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, just don't weld anything in place before you've lived with it for a month or so.

The 2.5 and 3.0 V6s are available in both X-Types and S-Types. They are slightly more powerful on the S-Types (something like 9 bhp) though, due to more room for exhaust manifolds and stuff like that as it's not mounted transversely. That advantage is however somewhat mitigated by the S-Type being more than 100kg heavier.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM

I talked to my friend at a muffler shop and he can install stainless steel Magnaflow type mufflers for about $100 each. I asked him about straight pipes and he said it wouldn't sound good and it'd be really loud... He said removing the resonator and keeping the stock mufflers would be a waste of time. I asked him if he could reuse the stock tips but after looking at them, it turns out they are a weird design where the inner pipe is kind of fused in with the tip itself, it's not a simple chrome tip like I thought. Anyways, it would involve hacking them off and trying to weld them onto a larger diameter outlet so I don't think it is worth it and I can get some nice tips, which can get pricey but I think I am just going to try to do a simple oval shape or maybe a slightly larger round tip. All in all, it's going to be a pricier upgrade than I had planned but there is no guesswork involved and they will sound and look good. I was kind of wanting to go for a more extreme sound but I think the magnaflows have a good grunt to them and they won't attract all the street racers trying to beat me in the quarter mile.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

An extremely loud exhaust may get really tiresome if you ever drive longer distances on a highway.

Regarding tips, a few tips:
Buy cheap. Don't buy some branded tips as they can be ridiculously expensive for what they are. I was once offered a pair of tips for 130€ each! Surely they were probably well-made, but the tips I now have were less than 40€ for a pair and are made of mirror-polished stainless steel.
Also, get cheap but not too cheap. Make sure you get ones that are proper polished stainless steel rather than chromed normal cheapo steel. The price difference isn't big, but they'll last far longer if not forever.

While some say you should weld the tips in place, I'd advise against this. I've had my clamped-on tips for a year now without issues, and I love knowing that I can easily replace them in a few minutes if I feel like trying something different.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:25 PM

Yea they can be really expensive. I am probably just going to keep it simple and do a round or oval tip with a rolled edge. I kind of like those turbo style tips like the Mina's but they are expensive. I am kind of trying to keep the muffler upgrade on a budget to justify the totally extravagant purchase, but I agree, better to spend a little extra on the tips and get something nice looking than to go with whatever's cheapest.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a clip of my Adamesh Exhaust ! Really love the Sound changed the whole dynamic of driving the X. Price in the 5-600 Range Well worth it !!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:24 PM

I am so on a budget right now. Let's just say it's another 3 day weekened and there's no holiday. Do you think 2 of these bad boys would fit under the x-type? Or any other style ebay muffler for that matter with a tip. I've scoured low and high but having trouble because of the long tip length needed and limited space under the bumper. These would be about half the cost of the magnaflow type mufflers. I know they kind of look "rice burner" but they also have them in plain chrome.

Slanted Muffler Tip Diameter: 3.500" with Removable Silencer
Muffler Tip Length: 5.375"
Inlet Diameter/ Length: 2.375"/ 2.500"
Canister Length X Weight X Height: 11.750" (L) X 4.375" (W) X 4.375" (H)
Super Lightweight 19.750" Overall Length
Performance Oval Style Racing Sepc.
Made of High Quality Stainless Steel Material
Improves Exhaust Velocity Performance. Offers Great Air Flow and Higher Horsepower Gain
Instantly Increases 5 - 10 HPS for Most Vehicles
Aggressive Deep Discharge Sound
100% Brand New
Professional Installation is Highly Recommended (No Instruction Included)

These ones are also bad *** (can we say that on here?) but they are a little bigger and about twice the price. They have long tips though and are freaking sweet looking. Not sure if you could cram them under the bumper. What do you think? I was just trying to find a cool style that would fit on the x-type. These are probably a little out of my price range but I like the look of them.

Slanted Muffler Tip Diameter: 3.50"
Muffler Tip Length: 6.25"
Inlet Diameter: 3.00"
Inlet Length: 0.75"
Canister Length X Weight X Height: 11.625" (L) X 10.250" (W) X 6.250" (H)
Super Lightweight 17.75" Overall Length
Performance Oval Style Racing Sepc.
Made of High Quality Stainless Steel Material
Improves Exhaust Velocity Performance. Offers Great Air Flow and Higher Horsepower Gain
Instantly Increases 5 - 10 HPS for Most Vehicles
Aggressive Deep Discharge Sound
100% Brand New
Professional Installation is Highly Recommended (No Instruction Included)

Attached Thumbnails X Type Muffler Delete-mfl-45-35-25-s-bt.jpg   X Type Muffler Delete-mfl-oval-3-35-rl-x2.jpg  

Last edited by 04xtype04; 01-30-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 PM

How much will a set of either of those cost you?

Quick Reply: X Type Muffler Delete