X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type newbie. Engine removal advice

Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking x-type newbie. Engine removal advice

Not new to Jags, but have an '04 needing a head gasket.
After working on many V12 cars, this looks downright scary!
I would really appreciate any advice! I should add, I' m working outside in the cold (Canada), and have no lift...just an engine crane. I do have all the manuals, thanks to this site! Out from the top, or from underneath?
thank you in advance!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ted, the engine will have to come out from underneath. So, what I have seen members do is they will use the engine hoist to lower the engine down to the ground (resting it on some 2x4's or the like), then use the engine hoist to lift the front of the car up about 3 feet into the air so the motor can be slid out from under the car.

I wish you luck.

The following users liked this post:
tedhaywardart (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! So...it looks like it 's pretty much impossible with the engine still in the car?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ted, you may be able to do it with the engine still in the car. The big thing will be removing the intake and whatnot to get that out of your way so you can reach around the block and get at things that way. But, you are still going to need to pull the cat atleast out of the way so you can get some room back there. Won't have to remove it from the car, but atleast rest it along the bottom on the crossmember.

The trick I used on my truck was I found that I could not remove the head with the engine still in the truck by removing all the bolts. What I discovered is you can lift up the one bolt you can't get out enough that you can twist the head to get it off of the block. From there, you can slide it out of the way and out of the engine bay. The same should be true for this car. The trick is remembering which bolt(s) need to be placed in the head before putting it on the block. Also keep in mind that once you undo the head, the bolts need to be thrown out as these are stretch bolts and once you torque them, you have elongated the bolts to make them reach their maximum tensile stress. Torquing them again pushes them beyond their max tensile stress and can lead to failure.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I posted this on another guy's engine removal thread. Describes how I did it.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...10/#post650936
Note I raised and supported the front of the car and then lowered the assembly onto the outstretched legs of the engine lift (cherry picker). Which on mine, the legs matched the subframe perfectly. So as I pulled the engine lift out from under the car, I also rolled the power train with along with it. Same going back together. I rolled the engine lift into place with the power train sitting on the legs. Once passed the front of the car, I hooked up the lift to the engine and pulled it (and trans and subframe) up into place. And as simple as that sounds, I really, really hope you can pull the heads with the engine in place. Swaping engines on this car is woolly bear.