Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x -type premium-ish sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default x -type premium-ish sound

Hi Guys,

I have a 52 plate x type, I am doing a bit of a sound system upgrade, I have myself a nice MRPM352 amp, which i am going to wire upto a pair of Alpine type-r spr 176A's (in mono, filtered for bass, i know they are components but i am only interested in adding a nice amount of richness to the sound, which they will be more than capable of handling)
I am happy wiring up a hi/low converter to get myself some pre-outs from the head unit, i am fine with wiring up the power and speakers etc.
I will try them free air first but probably will end up building a little enclosure later on. However, Whenever I have done installs this in the past I have always gone from a head unit intended on supplying an amp. So my question to you is what have you wired up the remote onto on your systems? have you put a little switch in the dash with a 5v feed?
I am more than happy wiring stuff up, splicing cables etc but wouldn't mind a little pointer as i don't want the amp powered 24X7, I was intending on powering the amp from the battery, but may have to work it from the ignition.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I wired mine to my cig lighter and it has worked well for about a year.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Everything is all in and sounding great.

I wired in the preout, wired up a remote cable from pin 2 on the stereo harness via a toggle switch i located in the ash tray.
RCA run upto the boot, alpine mono MRPM352 wired in, 14v from the amp feed in the boot, made a figure of 8 speaker spacer from 18mm mdf.
Added a sheet of sound deadning material between the speaker deck and the mdf spacer,
speakers mouted on the mdf, i had to wire up the speakers neg to pos on the amp out put as with the spacer and the speaker deck & top cover if effectivly became an enclosure.
and yeah really happy, get some nice punch out the speakers, I also had to add some foam around the plastic clips for the top cover of the parcel shelve cover.

and the best bit is no loss of bot space at all, the amp is mounted above the cd autochanger.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

pictures?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM

I will tidy it up a little bit at the weekend and add some pictures. but I spent 16 quid on the amp from ebay, and it came with a wiring kit.

65 quid for the pair of alpine spr176a's

4 quid for an off cut of mdf although a quid would have been pleanty I was optomistic and thought i'd build a box but a spacer was more than enough.

7.99 for the Hi low rca converter

A quid for the switch

3 quid for the sound deadner

and a few quid for connectors.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 AM

what is a quid. is that GBP?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

quid is english version of bucks lol

Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM

well then thats cheap im interested in seeing pictures

Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Do you need to see the wiring into the back of the audio harness? It can be arranged, but i'd just need to take the stereo back out as I only had one pair of hands when doing the job and put it back in without pictures.

I have some pictures of the speakers mounted, the amp mounted, switch mounted, i just need some 90 degree phono adaptors so that I can get the cover for the cd auto changer on. I added a little bit more sound deadner and got an improvement on sound quality. Now I am not suggesting that it will touch Mr Bucks system but it is significantly better than the standard sound.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 PM

no no need to do all that. i have already taken mine out and read other threads about the wiring.

just curious to see how it looked afterwards - i am in the midst of upgrading my sound (as soon as i find something i want)

sorry it took so long to post back

thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Amp

sound deadning + 18mm mdf spacer

photo from back to show how much boot is used

one angle of mounted speakers

another angle

and from below

switch wired upto the remote of the amp hidden in the ash trash

it works for me and as I say I am very happy with the result and the little amount of money spent.

Last edited by Cadillac; 05-14-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: For better image viewing
Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 AM

this is exactly what i want to do. everywhere i go they try to sell me a box with sub and and amp. i dont want to put a box in my trunk. i wanted to do the same thing you did up there.

and for the price you paid i think im going to start this project asap.

thanks for the pictures man.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the MDF added because of the greater excursion of the Alpines?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 AM

I added the MDF just to because i thought the mdf would diffuse a little of the vibration, rather than the metal housing of the speakers on the metal speaker deck.

I did attach the speakers straight to the deck and then added the mdf after and decided that it sounded better. also painting it black helped it blend in.

BTW the deck and the cover on the inside of the shelf acted like an enclosure so i wired the speakers up neg to pos and they sounded better.

Also the speaker i put in were not dedicated subs, they were just a good pair of components for the price, i think there are some dedicated ones out there that will give you a little better lower response.

And the little plastic clips that hold the deck cover on rattled like a bitch, so i added some foam between the plastic clip and the metal of the speaker deck that the attached too.

Hope you can get some bargains on the amp and speakers, if you search right on ebay there are always some going for peanuts, i missed a rockford fosgate power amp that went for £10 gutted, but the alpine one i did get has a good adjustable x-over in it to allow me to find the perfect blend of bass tones to amplify.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rims...

just quick question about your rims and where did you get them. specs about them? im new to this and i just recently got my jag in october and im looking to start upgrading it.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 AM
Default Rims?

Are you talking about the speakers or did you post this in the wrong thread?

if so they are Alpine SPR 176a's now they are 6.5" component speakers rated at 50W RMS each if you find the newer ones they are rated at 100w RMS each

I am using them as subs basically, I am driving them in a single mono chanel from a 200w RMS alpine mono amp, it has a gain, db bass control and lp filter to allow you to get hopefuly the right blend of sound.

Now although they are woofers from a component set they are still able to deliver the bass i require, and I got them from ebay for £65.

If I had a bit more cash i would probably would have gone for some dedicated 6.5" subs, I think JL & kicker do some, however I think there is more choice in America than in England.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Update-

I had a cheeky punt on a single JL audio 6W3w3-4, i got it for £50. I put it on the deck witha view to getting two, but the single jl audio 6.5 sub sounded better than my alpine components. I redesigned the deck to only have a single opening, plus extruded it so there is a bigger surface area of the spacer in contact with the rear deck and My god the bass is amazing, i was happy with if before, but planned on getting two of the jl audio subs then put the Alpines into my front doors. They should retail about £90 each. and i was going to buy another full price but really cant see the point now, i am sticking with one, i think two of them would be pushing it, but who knows i may change my mind at a later date lol.

I have the spacer made now for the alpine speakers for the front doors, i had the passanger side in, but it started to rain really bad so i will install the other tomorrow. I have some crossovers but will have to pick up some tweeters for the crisp ness.
so to anyone out there. A single JL audio 6w3w3-4 sub on a 18mm mdf spacer powered buy a reasonable amp gives amazing levels of bass for such a small speaker, but then again it is a quality speaker, and two would probably have appealed to me a few years ago, but now i am more than happy with just the one.