X-Type Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation X-Type Problems

Hi

I just bought 2002 x-type and it have too many problems :
1- there is a sound coming from the suspension when I get into speed bumps
2- when I turn the steering to the left or the right there is a very noisy sound like there is something broken
3-when I speed over 65 mph the car starts to shake and vibrate
4- cruise control not working and sometimes there is a message ' cruise control not available ' when there is a gearbox fault
5- there is a ABS light in the dash ans the car is very heavy it is not quick at all !
6- Very poor MPG 10-13 MAXIMUM

Please tell me what parts do I need to fix these problems

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also there is a message bonnet open

Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats, sounds like you did your due diligence on that purchase!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

1. Check the front and rear control sway bar bushings and lubricate the emergency brake cable.

2. You should change the power steering fluid and check for leaks etc.

3. Check your alignment

4. This could be a throttle body issue, but have the codes read by a professional and see what they mean. This could also be causing symptom #3.

5. Logically I'd check the braking system!

6. I would change all the main fluids including the transfer case. I would clean/ replace the spark plugs and tune the engine. But I suspect it could also be related to the codes you are getting in #4.

Those would be my starting point....if you have. jaguar dealer why don't you just take it there for a diagnosis? At least around here, the jag dealers are pretty competent....

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Vip, first off, welcome to Jaguar Forums. I htink you will find a lot of useful information here. So, sit back ,do some looking around and I think you will enjoy what you can find here.

As for your issues. The noise in the front end, vibration above 65 MPH and steering issue are probably all related and can be traced to an issue with the upper bushing of your front struts (either one, possibly both). This can also lead to your lack of power issue as you may find that the alignment is off and you are "plowing" with the front wheels (do you find the car wanting to turn to one side or the other as you are driving down the road?). I would say to replace both front struts and then see what a shop says about the rest of the front suspension and go from there.

As for the power issue, this can be a few things. As it relates to your "Cruise Control Failure", in a lot of cases, it is something to do with the throttle body. THe plug for the throttle body can be damaged or the drive motor for the throttle body can be going. But, this will more than likely require a professional mechanic to diagnose.

As for the ABS issue, this is more than likely a sensor issue. With these cars, the rear wheel speed sensors seem to be the problem most of the time. IF you remove the sensor and look for a toothed gear under where the sensor is and you don't see one, that is your issue (they tend to rust and fall to pieces, leading to the failure). If this is the case, you need a new hub assembly for that wheel.

As for mileage, part of the mileage issue is the other problems and once you fix them, the mileage should come up. But, at the same time, if you are looking for something to accelerate from stop light to stop light, this is not the car. If anything, you will find it to be a very expensive car to do that with as the transfer case is the weak link and it will fail on you with repeated hard accelerations daily. A new transfer case is around $3000 USD. When you are replacing it every 30K miles (50K KM), it can be an expensive thing.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Ahh, once again the bitterness of poor value over-throws the sweetness of low cost.

I agree with Thermo, also listen under the hood / bonnet for vaccuum leaks, you'll hear a hissing noise. Check the pin under the hood, might just have a loose wire for the bonnet warning.

Just a question though. Why would you purchase a car with all these issues.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

An old-school trick to located vacuum leaks is to have a can of starter fluid and to selectively spray at places where you think there might be a leak. If there is one the fluid will get sucked into engine and the revs will shoot up. No RPM increase, no leak where you sprayed the fluid. Direct the spray carefully and you will be able to test small places.

Cheap and easy test, no lasting effects, no cleanup needed.
================================================== ====
My karma just ran over your dogma
'05 Jaguar X-Type

The following users liked this post:
Sparkchaser36 (06-11-2012)