X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Radiator Couplings: How the heck...? RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-Type Radiator Couplings: How the heck...? RESOLVED

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP! The X-Type has these plastic hose fittings/clamps that I have never seen before.
I cannot get the lower hose fitting/clamp off, even with the radiator out of the car, and even after removing the wire clip.
I have also been unable to RE-insert the wire clip back into the other, identical, plastic fitting.
I have spent three hours over the last 6 days, wiggling, persuading, pulling, gently prying on the plastic, spraying penetrating oil and WD-40, and looking on the net, and I cannot get this coupling off the radiator( and it is not a part of the replacement radiator, so it does indeed uncouple).
There is NOTHING on the net that shows people how to deal with these clamps, including Alldata and all the Jaguar forums, and iatn.
You would really be helping people a lot if you would tell us, or show us pictures that illustrate EXACTLY how to get the lower plastic fitting/clamp off the bottom of the radiator, and also how to RE-insert the wire that holds the clamp together.
-Scotty in Sacramento

Attached Thumbnails X-Type Radiator Couplings:  How the heck...? RESOLVED-img_3076.jpg   X-Type Radiator Couplings:  How the heck...? RESOLVED-img_3078.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

They are EXACTLY like many European cars (VW/Audi, BMW etc.)
I just spray some aerosol silicone into the joints and pry/rock the plastic fittings until it comes apart.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
joejaguar (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FIXED !!!!!!!!
First, I got MotorcarMan's tip to spray the joint with SILICONE spray...and as soon as I read that, it made perfect sense, because you do not use petroleum or lithium lubricants on plastic, you use those on metal connections.
I used a non-metallic striking tool against the lip of the plastic coupler and also tapped the other edge with a non-metal tool, and the coupler came right off in two seconds flat!
As to reinstallation of the wire retaining clip, I had been fooled by working in poor lighting. When that clip is installed, you cannot see it, except for its tip, which you use to pry it out of the coupler. So in the bad light I had, this I-never-saw-this-before coupler looked like it has the clip running between coupler and the hose nipple (under the coupler). That is not true. The wire retainer runs outside of the coupler, but is sunk into a protruding groove, so you don't see 99% of it. It's very easy to slip it over the outside of the coupler. I checked my work by reinstalling the now-siliconed coupler and trying to pull it off, and it's perfect. Lesson learned, and thank you to everybody.

Now all I need is a photograph of the torched and bent tool that someone used to successfully remove that one engine oil pan bolt that no one can reach on V-6 X-Types. There are a million forums on the subject, but the people who made the special tools were only almost successful in getting that bolt removed and saving several days of work, apparently, when you read all their comments to the end.

Last edited by joejaguar; 11-02-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added title at beginning
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-02-2013)