Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type rebuilt transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-type rebuilt transmission issues

2002 x type new transmission issues
I have a 2002 xtype I bought last June with 44,000 miles. I just had a rebuilt transmission and new valve installed last week. It has been running well until I encountered the following sequence of events on the same major intersection today.

So I have a newly rebuilt transmission (cost me $4000) from AAAMCO. Having a 2002 car, my warranty has long expired.

I stop at a traffic light in downtown Los Angeles where I have a steep downward slope (those who are familiar with the intersection of 5th and Grand southbound). The power train light comes on and the engine shakes, and I presume the car goes on limp mode. I find a parking spot and turn off the car. When I turn it back on, no lights appear (no power train light, no check engine light) and the car operates normally again. So I immediately drive it to the AAAMCO shop that rebuilt my transmission. They do a computer diagnostic and nothing shows up. I drove back to work and when I stopped at the same intersection, instead of the power train light appearing before I descend, it appears a few seconds after I finish the descent. So I go limp mode again with the power train light on. I turn it off and after 1 minute, turn it on and no warning lights appear and the car operates normally again.

I have a practically new transmission. My AAAMCO mechanic has checked the bulletins and there is no need for reprogramming and I also checked with a Jaguar dealer and gave them my VIN number, and my car supposedly is not on any transmission recall.

I would apprecite any advice. thanks.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 AM

if this happens intermittenly its more then likely a internal transmssion electrical problem ... people are human and do mistakes , more then lkely its a loose connection inside the transmisson and wth no codes it can be figured out easy ... the dealer is the only one who has the right scanner (ids), the tcm stores code even if they are not hard code (codes that come back) ... i take it to the dealer and have then run codes and see if any pop up ... if u do this as for a print out of the dtc's , they can do this wth a flash card and print it out on a pdf file ... hope this helps ... good luck ... i also do recommend to get a good warranty for this car cause repairs can be expensive ... can help u wth that also

Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

CHeck the fluid level in the tranny. If it is low, it could possibly cause what you are seeing. With the tranny just being rebuilt, if they didn't start the car, drive it and then recheck the fluid level (being in a rush), you might be running a little low in fluid. I would start there and then see what you find.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Before anything else, thank you Thermo and jagtech 10 for your valuable input.

A day after, my car finally stalled in the parking lot. Had a check engine light, after the transmission light went on and had it towed to AAAMCO. Mechanic informed me that the error code: involved the throttle. He is now looking for a used throttle. A new throttle would cost $1600 from the dealer.

Just wanted your input on the throttle defect?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Tps is the normal issue with throttle bodies. Ie different readings between throttle position sensor(tps) circuit tracks

Old 12-09-2009, 02:35 AM

Throttle bodies are very common issues with all jags and will cause tranmission and stalling issues ... Looks like u got it figured out ... What's next now huh ... Good luck

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Thank you everyone. Hopefully, this would be the last one. Are there any dealer bulletins that covered x-types and throttle issues, specifically 2002 models. Just wanted to know. In any case, I appreciate everyone's help. Your concern has made shouldering the expense a bit bearable.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM

I have had an 03 xtype since 2006 and had a new transmission put in (under warranty) at 42K miles. Have 81K now and have had no problems. Thing is, I'm nervous about longevity of this new transmission. Anybody else had a replacement (not a rebuilt, but new) and had any problems? I know the transmission is a weak point in this car, and am just wondering if Jaguar addressed the problem or this one may go bonkers as well. Would appreciate anybody else's experiences on this issue.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a 2003 X-type with 52,000 miles. Any warning signs I should look for that the transmission is having problems?