X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Suspension Help

I really dont know if my 3.0L as a sport suspension so when I seached for shocks and struts they had the sport and non sport shocks if I buy the sport shocks and my car does not have the factory sport suspension will I have a problem?
I plan to go for the H&R springs heard a lot of good stuff I have 18s so am I good? I also was getting the comfort bilstein shocks but I only see the HD and B4 Touring so where can I find the comfortmbilstein??
Also besides replacing the shocks and springs what can I do for a smoother ride my x type has 79, 000 miles

Last edited by JagX02; 02-17-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

JagX02, yes, you can use the shocks interchangeably on the X-Type between the comfort, Sport, and the heavy duty. The big differences is that the Sport shocks are slightly shorter (by about 1") due to the sport suspension being a 1.4" drop from the factory.

As for softening up the ride of your car, the comfort Bilsteins are going to make for a ride like you have right now. You go with the heavy duty Bilsteins and you will get a harsher ride due to the stiffness of the shocks. The big thing with the comfort of your car right now is the low profile tires. Low profile tires do not have the "squish" factor that a 17 or 16" rim tire is going to have. So, the lower profile 18" rimmed tires have to have a stiffer sidewall, therefore you will feel more of the imperfections in the road. If you get an 18" rimmed tire that has soft sidewalls, then you are asking to damage your rims when you hit a pothole/bump in the road.

I am by no means telling you to go away from the 18" rims you have. But, like with any part of the car, you have to know how it relates to the other aspects of the car.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
JagX02, yes, you can use the shocks interchangeably on the X-Type between the comfort, Sport, and the heavy duty. The big differences is that the Sport shocks are slightly shorter (by about 1") due to the sport suspension being a 1.4" drop from the factory.

As for softening up the ride of your car, the comfort Bilsteins are going to make for a ride like you have right now. You go with the heavy duty Bilsteins and you will get a harsher ride due to the stiffness of the shocks. The big thing with the comfort of your car right now is the low profile tires. Low profile tires do not have the "squish" factor that a 17 or 16" rim tire is going to have. So, the lower profile 18" rimmed tires have to have a stiffer sidewall, therefore you will feel more of the imperfections in the road. If you get an 18" rimmed tire that has soft sidewalls, then you are asking to damage your rims when you hit a pothole/bump in the road.

I am by no means telling you to go away from the 18" rims you have. But, like with any part of the car, you have to know how it relates to the other aspects of the car.
The 18s are not bad and u say that the sport shocks are 1" shorter cus of the factory springs are shorter so with the H&R springs that lowers the car that should match the sport shocks now I only see the HD and B4 Touring Bilstein but not the Comfort Bilstein where can I find them or they the same as the B4 Touring

Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

For all the shocks, check out: eshocks.com: Shocks and Struts: X-Type

I bought my stuff through these people as they had some of the best prices and seem to know what they are talking about.