Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type temp issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X type temp issue

Hi all
A bit of a strange one for you, I noticed my temp gauge creeping down so I replaced the usual suspect the oil cooler thermostat and was worse barley got past quarter in the gauge. So replaced normal thermostat and temp sender in head but still no better
took out new oil cooler stat and used housing only of the old one. Followed how to bleed cooling system and all was good cooling fan cut in all hoses hot and very hot air from heater.
but when I put air con on gauge is still drops again , took for a run and gauge drops have blower on with cold air and gauge drops.
Leave on tick over and comes back to normal.
no air locks all hoses hot and no leaks so any thoughts here would be appreciated as at th end of my patience and considering getting rid am fed up

Old 08-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Withamxtrype., what you are probably experiencing is that your new thermostat is allowing too much coolant to flow through it and this is causing too much coolant to flow to the radiator and it is getting overly cooled. So now, when it makes it back to hte engine, while the engine thermostat is attempting to control the temp, it will still allow a minimal amount of flow to occur and this is enough to drive the engine temp down.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of that one before but I suppose there is not much I can do until the new thermostat beds itself in?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Withamxtype: I drove a car (not my X-Type) thru a winter storm with a broken thermostat: the engine and passenger compartment never warmed up. Quick fix: covered ~1/2 the radiator with a paper map (back when we used paper maps) and adjusted it to warm the engine without overheating.

In the northern US & Canada, diesel trucks often have a grill cover during the winter for this purpose. Heat loss is reduced by restricting coolant flow with a thermostat, and / or restricting air flow with a radiator cover.

If I understand your post correctly, your engine temperature drops when you turn on the AC (causes the radiator fans to spin faster), when you drive around (pushes more air thru the radiator) and when you turn on the passenger compartment blower (pushes air thru the heater core). If reducing airflow thru your radiator causes the engine to warm up, Thermo's diagnosis is confirmed - your thermostat is allowing too much coolant flow thru the radiator.

Of course, take care not to overheat the engine by restricting the air flow too much, or too long.