X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type vibration starting at 65mph and while braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type vibration starting at 65mph and while braking

Hi, I see that this problem is typical of x-type, but I can not find a single solution. The car begins to vibrate at 65mph and vibrates at braking. I have balanced the drive shaft, changed the center carrier bearing, changed the trasfer case, changed the brake discs, pads, front and back, balanced the wheels, made a wheel alignment. Checked the bearings, front ball joints, nothing helps. Manual 3.0, 2001.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you checked to see if any of the tyres treads are S'd?
Imagine a wheel buckled, you see it on the balancer as moving in and out of true.
With a tyre, the steel banding can buckle inside and under the tread pattern, giving a slight side to side kick.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Killych, first, rotate the tires front to rear and rear to front. Does the problem continue/change? If it continues, then it is a problem with the suspension. If it changes or goes away, then you have a bad rim/tire. This is where you would then rotate the tires back to where they initially were only on 1 side of the car. From there, if the problem returns, it is the front tire on the side you swapped twice. If not, then it is the tire that is on the rear of the side you rotated only once.

Without having the car in my hands, I can't go into much more detail.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Killych, first, rotate the tires front to rear and rear to front. Does the problem continue/change? If it continues, then it is a problem with the suspension. If it changes or goes away, then you have a bad rim/tire. This is where you would then rotate the tires back to where they initially were only on 1 side of the car. From there, if the problem returns, it is the front tire on the side you swapped twice. If not, then it is the tire that is on the rear of the side you rotated only once.

Without having the car in my hands, I can't go into much more detail.
Thank you for an answer, but I have changed all 4 wheels with tires (I have winter tires on different rims), and nothing changes. I've read somewhere, that problem could be in inner cv joints, any ideas how I could test that?

Old 10-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

To test the CV joints, normally you can hear a "whirring" sound coming from the front of the car and/or as you turn, the whirring sound will come and go. You can also try getting the front end of the car in the air and then reaching in and grabbing the CV shaft. Give it a good shake. If you see movement at either end, then the CV joint is bad. You may also see where there is a rip in the rubber boot and/or grease sprayed in a circle in the area of the boot. If you see grease, odds are the CV joint is toast and will need replaced.

I would also say to get the front end in the air and then grabbing on to the sides of the wheel (NEVER!!!! the top and bottom) and give a tug and push on the tire like you are trying to turn the wheel from the outside of the car. Go back and forth. If you can feel movement, then you may have a bad wheel bearing. You may feel the tire move a little from play in the steering system. But, if the tire moves and the tie rod ends don't, then that is an issue.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I used to have a Mistsubishi that would occasionally shake its head while driving. Turned out that one of the inner CV’s had a ball missing, replaced the ball and all was well, hope its that simple, sounds like you have eliminated most other avenues.