Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type w/ nav headunit , change to aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type w/ nav headunit , change to aftermarket

Hello,
I'm still pretty new to the forum, and haven't really posted much.
But I just can't seem to find a solid answer on this. I currently have a 2002 X-Type with the premium sound & the navigation system. Ive decided I'd like to replace the factory head unit with something aftermarket. My only concern is how to control my climate once the factory head unit is removed, since the climate control is partially on the touch screen. My only real solution is to buy the factory climate control for the non-nav head unit jag, and install it, and then install an aftermarket head unit. Im just wondering if anyone else has done this, or even knows if it is possible. Im pretty confident (but not completely sure) that the wiring harness is the same for the non-nav and the nav head unit, I'm just not sure if it is just that easy. Anyone have any info on this?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I have not seen anyone replace the stock nav unit with an aftermarket nav unit. I have however seen people who have put in an aftermarket nav unit with the factory climate control on the non-nav systems. If you want to see what one of those systems looks like, I think exexpat has one linked to a windows 7 computer in his car. I personally think that it will be a great struggle to replace the factory nav unit with an aftermarket unit. Just curious, why do you want to replace the unit in the first place? I personally think it makes the whole car look better, and really works with everything the way it was designed to

Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

disguay, I have contemplated this very thing myself. The reason why I would be doing it is to get a radio that has more features that would do the same thing. The big thing that I would be after is the ability to have an MP3 input (my 03 doesn't have that). Then you start mixing in the ability to have voice commands and whatnot, the new radio starts making a lot more sense. Granted, I am not looking at your "average" radio. If anything, I would be contemplating doing a Car PC as I would also be looking to add a backup camera and a forward looking infrared camera. You know, just "little" additions.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 AM

Ive just found that I'm not completely satisfied with the current set up. My biggest complaint is lack of iPod connectivity. I know you can get the ACM, but for all that money id rather have a much better radio set up. I know its pretty simple to install an aftermarket head unit with nav, when you had the standard climate and radio. Im just not entirely sure if you can just purchase the standard climate control unit like this,

02 - 08 JAGUAR X TYPE A/C HEATER CLIMATE CONTROL 04 05 | eBay

and then connect that and install an aftermarket radio.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Id look into it more. The connections are not the same for the navigation screen and the std ac controls. Im going through this now.