X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type wear trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default X-type wear trouble

I had this problem with my x type, I think the back wheels are a slightly inclined to the left side, has anyone had this problem before?

I put some pictures so that I hope to see some opinions can help !!!

Attached Thumbnails X-type wear trouble-img_0941.jpg   X-type wear trouble-img_0946.jpg   X-type wear trouble-tires-wear.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

kalacho, what I would tell you to do is to take the car out for a drive and find an exit/on ramp that is a big sweeping 270 degree turn. Now, as you are in the turn, give the car little bumps of the gas pedal (like you were going to pass someone on the turn but then realized someone was coming the other way). Does the rear end of the car feel like it is going to step out to the side? If so, then your lower control arms are shot and they need to be replaced (easy replacement, 2 bolts, old arm comes out).

After that, the wear on the tire looks fairly normal for how my Jag wears the tires. As long as you are rotating the tires regularly, the outside wear is due to turning and the inside wear is caused by the rear tires leaning in at the top (typical for the X-Type). If you want to get the tires exactly where they should be, you will need to replace the lower and upper control arms. There is no need to replace the main suspension arm (has the spring cup mounted on it and is the big 3 foot long arm). You can also try pulling the wheel off and then seeing if you can spot any loose joints by attempting to twist the rear hubs side to side (like you were going to have a 4 wheel steering car). If you see movement, that is bad and the part that moves needs to be replaced.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Have a four-wheel alignment done. You may find that your rear alignment adjustments are out of range. This is due to bushing wear in the rear
control arms. This is a common problem with our cars but can be fixed by
replacing both control arms for a couple hundred dollars.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anybody tried a different rear camber setting (assuming it's adjustable) to correct accelerated inside wear? The inside of my right rear tire my car really gets eaten up fast.

Last edited by Stickman; 01-23-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire wear

yeah, i have that right rear tire wear. mine gets eat up fast also and i can tell there is a problem. it almost feels like it 'fishtails' when i hit a bump or uneven spot in the road. the problem is 10 times worse when it rains. i hope to hear some more posts, but i think i will start with those control arms.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Veteran member

jag32, odds are, you have a lower front arm that is worn and that is causing the rear tires to shift a little, leading to the fishtail feeling.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks thermo, i have seen that you were talking about that in an earlier post. this is my first jag and i'm just trying to learn about it. i haven't had this problem before in any other car. so just to be clear, you think i should replace the front lower control arms. probably both sides need to be done? i have also seen a lot of talk about the rear sway bar. how would this effect my problem and should i have it replaced as well? maybe the fishtail and tire wear has damaged other parts in the rear suspension? thank you for your advice.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Search for lower control arm replacement and you will find my write up which has links to the cheapest place to buy them and explains how to do it. I also have a picture of what the lower control arm actually looks like.

The rear sway bar wouldn't be the problem. It just makes noise when the bushings go out, and won't cause your uneven wear

Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 AM

Ok yesterday I put my new brakes and all perfect,but my rear driver side are. Very worn and need replace,is possible this wheel hub affect my camber like the pics? Cuz y move the hub and it move to all directions with not problem.

Any place to buy it cheap?
And the rear front lowers arms?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

kalacho, if you pick the tire up off the ground and you can get any play from the tire (rest of the suspension is stationary, then you definitely need to replace the wheel hub. yes, it can lead to the tire leaning, but normally that is fairly significant wear in the hub to get any noticeable lean.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM

thanks thermo, i'm short of money this weekend but next week is my pay day so on time to find good hubs offers. i have a cuestion more my brakes are a little spongy, when i brake i put the feet very down to a good brake any ideas?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

Kalacho, if you have a spungy brake, I would first start with doing a brake fluid change out. This is cheap to do and in a lot of cases, restores the pedal. All this amounts to is venting the air from each of the calipers (starting at right rear, then left rear, then right front, and finally left front). But, in this case, you want to have some clear tubing to watch the fluid change from a dark green (normally) to almost a clear. Once you get the clear fluid, then all you are waiting on is the fluid to be free of air. I tend to use some 3/16" tygon tubing (5 feet of it) and then attach one end to the bleeder valve, tape the center of the tubing to the top of the wheel well, and then run the other end to a glass jar. The vertical section between the caliper and the top of the wheel well will ensure you don't get any air back into the caliper and also gives you a nice column to see if you have any air coming out.

From there, you connect up the tubing, pump the brakes till you get what I mention above and make sure to keep adding new brake fluid (Dot 4) to ensure you don't introduce air into the system from the reservoir.