Sponsored by:

x type weird speedo/dash problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x type weird speedo/dash problem

x type 2003 diesel
hi ive got a weird problem thats doing my head in now,
after 30-60 min of running my dash clocks go off, speedo and rev counter drop and all the lights come on as if you have just turned the ignition on. car will remain running with no loss of power and everything else on the car still works.
if you turn the car off (when problem kicks in) the car wont start again and the red light by the traction button lights up, if you wait for a min or 2 you can hear the clocks reset and the car restarts. and clocks return sometimes for an hr sometimes just a min then the clocks go off again. you dont have to be driving for the problem to start as i left her running without moving her and still get problem.
can a dieing battery cause this as ive heard jags do wierd things.
please help

Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

hoff38, it sounds more like you have an issue with the electronics in the instrument cluster and that is causing your cluster to have the voltage drop some, making the computer think that the car is starting and it will cause the lights to come on (going through a diagnostic check). Then, if you turn off the car, the electronics in the instrument cluster are still warm and the voltage is low enough that it can't accurately pick up the signal from the key which will then cause the car go into a security phase and not start the car. After a little bit, the electronics will cool down and allow things to operate normally. I bet you will find if you run the interior of the car very warm, the time to cause things to act up will be very short and if you let the interior be very cold, it will take a long time.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 PM

hi thermo
yes you were right it takes longer to happen if heaters on cold. also in the last week as the weather is warmer it has happened almost straight away after starting and today wouldnt start . the car was parked in the sun today . i left the door open for a min or 2 and it started. the dash was hot to touch as you would expect from being parked in the sun. does that still sound like dash clocks to you? and do the replacement have to be from the same model and spec. mines a diesel but my local scrap yard has a 2.5 petrol. thanks for your help

Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 AM

Hi came across your post,my x type has the same fault,have you repaired the car and if possible could you tell me how you finally fixed the fault.Hoping

Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 AM

Hi came across a post that you reply to.X type cluster, not starting when cabin is hot,I have the same fault car will start then if you turn it of the fault will occur also as with your reply if the cabin is hot the fault will happen.Was wondering if you know how to repair the fault.Hope