Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type whoopie whistle

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default X Type whoopie whistle

Greetings,

I don't speak X Type, but I read that alot of you are up on the driveshaft howl/ whine issues.

On a recentvery cold morning (15 F) I drove an '02 automatic 2.5L. and heard some peculiar noises. The most obvious one was the sound of a kid's whoopie whistle, descending in pitch as I slowed to a stop. I hope you know what I mean, it's a cheap little flute with a slide, like a trombone.

There was also in intermittant grinding sound which at times would instantly disappear, then recurr with no driver input to change loading. My impression was that it was right front, but I can neither bet the farm on that or find any obviously worn drivetrain components. Both noises were loud, very obvious to the owner and to me.

Today at above 30 F, there isn't a hint of a fault. Is this a novice's description of driveshaft center support noises? All of the threads I could unravel lead me to that point, any ideas are welcomed. I'm sending the customer to the dealer to have them diagnose it, my experience is primarily XJ and XK and I don't sell mistakes. Thanks for any thoughts you'd like to share.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: X Type whoopie whistle

Propshaft needs to be greased/replaced. There's quite a few threads about it here. Go to page 2, I think it's there. If I find it before you do, I'll post the link.

LOL @ Whoopie Whistle. That's probably the best way to describe it. I think that's what we'll call it around here from now on.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

I call the noise the "finger on the rim of a wine glass noise" as that's how they usually sound until they get real bad and then you think your being pulled over by the police because it can become a very loud siren noise. It's not the bearing though, it's a problem with the rubber the bearing is mounted in getting hard in cold weather. The shafts can make a lot of different noises especially if it is the newer 4 piece style. I don't usually hear any grinding but with these shafts who knows.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well mine has the whoopsies lol and has had the whoopsies for the last 1500 or so miles and getting worse sounds like a darn police siren an 30 mph...BUT i hope the whoopsies will die a death on thursday when it goes in for a new prop, done the grease trick etc made no diference. O'h i will miss that sound (hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!) will keep you posted on the results.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks to SpartanX, Real_Tech and ferret, I read all the posts first,and was hoping that my noise sounded like the ones you all described.

The only other thing I could come up with to describe it would be "Hootie and the Driveshafts" new hit single, "Hold my Prop".

Jag is selling factory rebuilt for like $500.00. Can't wait to see what the shipping will cost.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:44 PM

I hear my propshaft rarely, as it only does it in extreme cold temperatures, which isn't all that often here. When it gets <20, it'll whoopie whistle for a few mins, then it'll go away.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine "whoopies" too. As soon as I get a warm day (anything over 30 degrees), I'm gonna do the grease thing and see (listen to) what happens!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanks to you too adreasx, I ampretty well assured that what I heard is what you all have already experienced. I read some earlier comments which indicated that greasing the center support bearing was not always effective, and Real_Tech's comments confirm to me that a long term fix is best assured with a replacement. If I learn anything to add to your collective knowledge, I'll give a whistle. The advice from each of you is much appreciated!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 AM

Well on a diferent note,some members on theforums (and not just this forum) are saying why do we get so many problems with our Jags..in reply to this i will say that i have had a Rover 75, a BMW 2.81, Ford Ganada, Nissan etc and they all had there own related problems the thing is why do we keep our jags well this is just my opinion and qoute.Where can you get another car with such beauty, good looks, and all with such a low price tag as the Xtype .. I bought mine for less than 7 grand was originaly about 26 grand with only 13000 on the clock - not realy run in as to speak, would i get rid of it caus it does a whoopsie - no way i love it to bits..just my opinion.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 AM

No argument from me ferret, especially when they are as great a value as the one you got. The AWD issweet for winter driving here, and this particular car has 114K on it. He did have a new automatictransmission installed while under warranty, and this is the first problem I have had to look into for the customer in the two years I have been maintaining it for him.

As for the whoopie, I told him if it were mine I probably wouldn't spend the money. We'll see what he decides, but he loves his X Type and it has served him well.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:27 AM

Well, I thank you for the kind words! So what is the end result with the prop shaft? I suppose if left to its own devise it eventually falls off? Unbelievable. I've had cars (fords, cheveys) with 200k miles with no prop shaft issues. But here I am with a Jag with only 44k on it listening to it whistling dixie!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

Jag is selling factory rebuilt for like $500.00. Can't wait to see what the shipping will cost.
Is this available to this forum members? I would be very interested in $500 prop shaft replacement shipped to me(or pick up locally). Thanks.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

JagtechOhio where you located in Ohio?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 AM

Adreasx, there is no end result as of yet, I suggested he have the dealer offer a diagnosis since they are familiar with this model. I'll see what happens from there.

Tony, I don't mark up prices over Jaguar factorylist, which doesn't make me much...particularly in this case, but that's the price I was quoted. Where it will get complicated is that this is a factory rebuilt unit: so I have to pay like $200 as a core charge, pay to ship the unit to me, and pay to ship the core back. So as a guess, that's 500+200+100+100-200=700. The shipping figure is speculation, but the propshaft is not designed for easy handling if you know what I mean.

Try asking your local Dealer, if they will sell you a rebuilt for a fair price you can just walk in with your old one and trade them.

DZTT, I'm in Powell near the Columbus Zoo. MY experience does not include much with X Type, but we'll probably get there eventually.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Did the entire forum miss this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_90915/tm.htm ???

Granted while they may be used, I'd take my chances on that before spending 10x as much for a new one.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Spartan,

I read it, but if it is a used replacement of an item that fails somewhat commonly, I don't think it is an acceptable risk. If it was my car and the used part was cheap and easy to obtain, I would be tempted to try one.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Tony, I don't mark up prices over Jaguar factorylist, which doesn't make me much...particularly in this case, but that's the price I was quoted. Where it will get complicated is that this is a factory rebuilt unit: so I have to pay like $200 as a core charge, pay to ship the unit to me, and pay to ship the core back. So as a guess, that's 500+200+100+100-200=700. The shipping figure is speculation, but the propshaft is not designed for easy handling if you know what I mean.

Try asking your local Dealer, if they will sell you a rebuilt for a fair price you can just walk in with your old one and trade them.
I understand. If it works out for you and others, please come back and post for the benefit of this forum members.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 PM

lol I have the whoopie whistle too. And I have the police siren at 30mph whenever its below 35*F. Which is like everyday. I had the whistle and siren all last winter and so far all this winter except a few days it was 35-40. I still drive the car hard and it performs fine except for the sounds.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM

Thanks for that Master, I'm not making light of your problems butthat was a funny read. Tony, for sure I'll share whatever I learn about the issue. It sounds like alot of people have been down this road before, so they might read it and say "big whoopie".

Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Can anybody tell three part no of prop shaft?