X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Wont Start. Minor or Major?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be underneath passenger rear seat, use a ground pad and if you can see it, shouldn't look much bigger than your hand and circular in shape.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Can not get to unlock my x-type battery flat ????

Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM

i dont know the answer! but when I tried to lock mine after taking the battery off, it wouldn't lock all doors, just the drivers!! even tried to lock by pushing internal door lever/lock but didn't work - so I was left with 3 doors & boot open!! im sure my old 2003 xtype locked though via the key.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Talking Maybe finally an inexpensive solution.

Maybe finally an inexpensive solution.

Background - Intermittently the car would not start with one of my keys, usually works with the other key (but not always). Symptoms - dash lights all light up, trans in neutral, clutch down, turn key to III - nothing. Some of the dash lights go off, but no sound, motor does not crank. This can happen 1-10 time in a row. Try another key, usually starts.

I read through the various forums. Suggestions were bad battery, bad starter relay, bad starter motor, etc.

I didn't think it was any of these because things work OK with other key, battery replaced recently, starter relay and motor works OK most of the time.

Anyway, couple of times my wife and I had to call road service for assistance. Both times the serviceman was able to start the car with keys. I asked the last guy what he did to start the car and he said he just depressed the clutch extra hard.

So after I got home I tried: Depressing to clutch "softly" and "firmly" and tried starting the car with either keys.
Results: After 30+ trials - every time I depressed clutch "softly" car would NOT start, with either key. Every time I depressed the clutch "firmly" the cars started with either key. Seems like problem solved - not cost other than two calls to road service. 100% verification

I don't know if the clutch point has an adjustment, but wonder if it is possible to adjust to clutch point higher so that problem does not return in the future.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:52 AM

i wouldn't rule out the security system, my friend drives the XF Auto after she brought my old x type she's now become a jaguar addict, she was told her key wasn't communicating!

As for adjusting the clutch i'd imagine this can be done, people with disabilities change them to suit there needs

Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Default Jag security system

You're right about the security system possibly being involved. I don't know exactly what the Jag's security system does but I had a 1988 Toyota Supra with very similar symptoms.

The Supra would occasionally fail to start with the key too. One time I even bought a new battery but that still didn't solve the problem. When it happened to me once, I called up road service. While waiting for them to arrive, I stepped out of the car then reentered the car using the key. Voila!! car started up OK. That got me thinking, maybe the security system was involved there. The security system in the Supra sounds the horn and disables the ignition system if the car is entered without the key. Maybe, entering with the key, the horn doesn't sound but the ignition system does NOT get reset? Sure enough that was the cause of the problem with the Supra. Every time that happened, I would just step out of the car, lock to door, unlock the door and car started up fine.

Don't know exactly what actions the Jag security system takes (I know the horn sounds, but what else?). Maybe the ignition gets disabled too. Knowing the Supra symptom, that was one of the first things I tried on the Jag - no help. So probably not related. All I know is that the clutch fix has worked fine for me since I discovered it.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Before getting tangled up in the security system, take a good look at the plunger switch that the clutch pedal operates in the foot well. Sounds like it could be sticking unless operated sharply.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When the car does not start it is really important to listen to the starter,.
Does the starter turn?
Does the starter solenoid click in to start the starter?

If the starter solenoid tries to click in and starter does not turn, the problem is
the solenoid. Get a new starter.

Walter