Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X400 in limp home mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X400 in limp home mode

Hi, I am a new Jaguar owner, I have always wanted to own and drive a Jaguar,
I purchased this car with 199 miles on the clock, I was told that there was a problem with the APP and TPS/ throttle body.
I found a 2nd hand TPS and throttle body and replaced it, but still had the amber and red lights on the dash, with transmission fault and engine fault on the dash display.
So far I have replaced the battery, water hosed top end of the motor, water pump, engine wiring loom because of broken plugs, lower manifold, fan module continuous running, replaced the J-shift and tcm, I sent the ECM away to be tested came back no damage.
Amber and red light still lit up on the dash ( transmission and engine fault displayed).
The car starts and idles smoothly but stays in limp mode.
Things not looked at yet is the level of transmission oil.
I'm looking for some help to try and find out were the fault lies keeping this car in limp mode, I'm at my wits end.
Looking forward to any replies

Old 08-24-2021, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Read all the codes.

Parts swapping is often very costly.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably isn't relevant, but maybe- my car would sometimes get stuck in limp home mode when it was wet and rainy. There was water getting into the TCU and causing it to throw crazy errors. I just noticed that you replaced the TCM, and I've seen discussions on here that have indicated that that can be very tricky in regards to needing to exactly match the TCM based on VIN (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...geable-248899/ etc). So if everything else seems to be running well, and the transmission fluid looks okay, I would maybe investigate that.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was was lucky with some of the parts that I swapped and discovered that all Xtypes are the same, big surprise, for instance the TCM of a 2.5 v6 does not work in a 3.0 v6, noticeable differences in the PC board configuration and components. Also the fan module is different between the 2.5 and 3.0.
I have spent a lot of time reading up on the jag x type on different forums, I have gone through multiple posts on this forum and applied what everyone was explaining, really good solid info, which has got me and my jag to this point.
At the moment I have repaired 26 faults on the car, ie from burnt wiring, bypass switch with speaker flex and a house breaker connected to the HT side of the fan module, fuse holders in fuse box not holding the fuse tightly. I'm currently under the dashboard repairing burnt and exposed wiring.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bludragon714
I was was lucky with some of the parts that I swapped and discovered that all Xtypes are the same, big surprise, for instance the TCM of a 2.5 v6 does not work in a 3.0 v6, noticeable differences in the PC board configuration and components. Also the fan module is different between the 2.5 and 3.0.
I have spent a lot of time reading up on the jag x type on different forums, I have gone through multiple posts on this forum and applied what everyone was explaining, really good solid info, which has got me and my jag to this point.
At the moment I have repaired 26 faults on the car, ie from burnt wiring, bypass switch with speaker flex and a house breaker connected to the HT side of the fan module, fuse holders in fuse box not holding the fuse tightly. I'm currently under the dashboard repairing burnt and exposed wiring.

Sounds like a helluva project! Good luck!