X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon burner - change difficult?

Old 11-07-2009, 03:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon bulbs - change difficult?

Hi,

i would like to change the xenon bulbs in my x-type.

i found some threads, but not the instructions.

is it difficult to change it?

i tried to get the instructions from jtis, but the software is nor working on my pc.

could anybody post the instruction?

thank you.

ciao.

Last edited by XType_Austria; 11-07-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Are you going from a standard halogen bulb over to HID bulbs? Am I getting this correct? I guess I have never heard of headlights called burners before. If this is correct, it is not that bad of a project. The "tough" part of the modification is pulling the front bumper cover off. Even this is not difficult. Takes about 45 minutes to do and get the headlights unbolted from the car. THis needs to be done to give you an idea of where to mount the ballasts for the HID bulbs.

The other "difficult" portion of this is modifying the current mounting system to handle the HID bulb. Normally this is pretty straight forward, but each HID manufacturer gives different stuff with the kit to make this happen. So, you will need to see what the kit has and how to make it attach to the headlight assembly. The wiring for this is pretty straight forward. The instructions in the kit will tell you how to wire it up. As for the wiring in the car, if you have the JTIS, that will tell you which wires you need to access. Just a warning (maybe this is an Americanism), the DIP beam is your low beam, the outside headlight. The high beams (inside headlights) are called the main beams. Form me, it is somewhat backwards. But, I am in the US and we all know we are unique.

If you need more info, let me know and I will do what I can to help you out. I converted my fog lights over, so, I know what sort of room you have to play with.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:11 AM

Hi,

my english is not the best,
probably i did not express myself clearly.

In german the Hid Bulbs are called burner ( brenner) so i used this word.

my x-type has HID bulbs (original Xenon) and i would like to change the D2S bulbs with some D2S 6000k bulbs.

So i asked for an instruction how to change the hid bulbs.

thanks.

ciao.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Austria, just making sure we are talking the same thing. As for changing the bulbs, it is a matter of placing your hand into the opening for the outside bulbs. Remove the cap and then undo the clip. This will allow the bulb to be pulled out. Remove the old bulb, install the new. That is it. The hard part of this is that you need somewhat small hands as the area isn't all that big and you need to move your fingers just so.

One warning though, DO NOT!!!!!!! try to push things. The pieces inside the headlight assembly break really easy. Then you normally end up replacing the headlight assemblies. Not a cheap fix. So, take it easy, nothing should take a lot of force to make move. If you are truely worried, then you will need to remove the bumper cover and then slide the headlight assembly out to give yourself more room to move around in.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Hi Thermo,

thank you for the information,
i will try it next weekend.

ciao.