X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xj8 seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation xj8 seat

Hi all wonder if you could help my driver seat is not working it was working with the memory switch then he pressed it and the seat went back and now wont move at all the steering wheel moves when key is taken out,and the passenger seat works but not the back and foreward switch could you please tell me how to get the seat module out from the seat so i can swap it,the fuses are ok please help

Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

nwx850v, welcome to the forums. I think you might be in the wrong section as this is for the X-Type model, not the XJ8 (assuming since you are asking about an XJ8 seat). But, don't worry as I am sure we can still help you. But, first we need to know what year your car is as the modules have moved around over the years and may not be where we tell you. we also ask that you leave an introduction message in the "New Member" forum. We are a friendly bunch here as you will see and we like to get to know each other a little bit.

Now, as for your problem. Doing a quick look through my schematics, it would appear that the module you are after is located under the driver's seat atleast for the 1995-2003 years. So, to access it, you will need to remove the 4 bolts holding the seat in place (probably will require a T-55 torx bit to remove some of the bolts). From there you will be able to lean the seat back a little bit and reach under to undo the plugs on the module itself. From there, the seat can be pulled out all the way and placed on a bench upside down to allow you to pull the module from the seat. now, I am by no means and expert on the XJ8's, so, what I am telling you may be slightly off (with the tools and the module being mounted to the seat, possibly mounted to the floor of the car).

So, sit back, enjoy a cup of Joe, do some looking around and see what we have here. I think you will find us rather amusing and good people to be around. You never know, there may be something happening in your area and you will run into someone you chat with here.

The following users liked this post:
nwx850v (07-09-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj8 seat

Thanks for the advice i will introduce myself in the "New Member" forum it is a 1998 xj8 3.2 gas converted metalic light green the car is doing my head in and i think i need a timing chain as it is starting to rattle a bit on the front end pos just the tensioners i hope but it seems to be a big job to get to it

thanks
any more advice would be great

Old 07-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

NWX, for your year car, the control box for the driver's seat is under the seat. Lift it up like I said and it will be very obvious what needs to be done.

As for the tensioners, as long as you have a little bit of mechanical aptitude, it won't be that big of a deal. But, plan on dedicating a weekend to it. Take your time and go from there. Also, keep in mind that the timing chains need to be set up a specific way. So, before you take the timing chains off, look on the chains and you will see parts of the chain that are marked (normally a link that is a different color). You should see 2 of these (one on the cam shaft, one on the crankshaft). These will line up with markings on the crankshaft and the camshaft. As long as you restore these marks together, all will be good when you put it back together. Just make sure that you have a big enough harmonic balancer puller on hand. That will be the "tough" part of the job. But, even that shouldn't be too bad. Probably be advantageous to get the front end of the car slightly lifted up off the ground so you can work on it from both above and below. May make accessing the harmonic balancer easier.