X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ8 VDP rear mirrors and windows dont work - "Drivers door open" message

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ8 VDP rear mirrors and windows dont work - "Drivers door open" message

Found the cause and solution for this problem on my 1999 VDP. I had to change the door cable on my car because it snapped, so I had to unplug the drivers switch control module in order to do that. Silly me - I ran the car with the switch module out while changing the cable because it was cold out and I wanted the heat. When I put the door back together, the mirrors didnt work, and the windows didnt go up and down.

Turns out, the rear passenger side switch now controlled the drivers side window, and if I opened the drivers door, I would get the message PASSENGER DOOR OPEN". Just as a note, the seat memory, the locking and even the door open light all worked fine.

After looking at the schematics, I found the reason for this. What happens is that when the car is turned on, the drivers door control module looks at the status (voltages) on the connections of the switch panel, and if things arent right (opens or say no power) then the module automatically reverts to a passenger control module because it didnt see that things were right.

Thats why the error message "DRIVERS DOOR OPEN" comes up and "PASSENGERS DOOR OPEN" comes up too when the drivers door is open - no drivers control module was found - and thats why the passenger side rear switch now controls the window. That switch uses the same connections on the module that all the passengers switch panels use. All in all, it explains all the malfunctioning. The memory and locks used different moidules, that why they still function normally.

The way to fix this is to first fix the switch panel if broken (note - there are four 1kOhm pull down resistors which must be present for the module to recognize it as a drivers side module. Beep the connections out with an Ohm meter using the schematics as a guide. The readings should be low across the switch - say around 20 to 50 Ohms when a button is pressed. If the resistence when the switch is pushed is higher than this, then you probably want to clean the switches.

This is done by taking the switch panel out and apart (be careful not to loose any parts - especially the little spring and brass shaft used for the mirror side switch). After that clean the PCB and grey plastic switch flex with isopropyl alcohol. Do not use sand paper. Be sure to use soft materials when cleaning like Q-tips or cloths. Make sure no residue appears on the PCB or the inner side of the flex which contacts the PCB.

If the switches are clean, and switches still dont beep out correctly, then you have to see where the connections have been lost on the PCB by tracing them out individually. Check connectors and vias (plated hole where trace goes from one side of the PCB to the other) especially for corrosion or poor solder joints.

Force all modules to factory defaults. Once the switch panel beeps out correctly, plug that into the door harness and disconnect the positive cable from the battery and short that to the negative cable for several minutes in order to discharge all voltages in all of the cars modules. After that, connect the positive cable back up and start the car up. After starting, the error should have gone away, and all should work ok.

If the switch panel was always ok, or the error still persists after cleaning changing the switch panel, then you have to check all switch module connections to the control module - one of them is bad being open or shorted. Once found, the force module to factory defaults must be repeated.

Good luck!

-d

Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing......but.....I think you might have meant this for the XJ section not the X TYPE section of the forums. If you post in there I'm sure it will not only be more helpful, but you will get more responses. Either way, hope you are enjoying your Jaguar! You are in good hands here.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops, I did go to the XJ at first, but I saw the lowest year for the car higher than my year which is a 99. Thats when I went to just X.

I just fixed a problem with my car today, and I have used this site a fair amount, so I figured it was about time for me to post some fixes I have found. I made 3 posts today all in the wrong section - is it possible that they could be redirected or moved to the correct area?

-d

Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

No worries. I'm sure one of the moderators can help with that soon.