X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtype questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtype questions

My girlfriends car is a 2002 xtype with the 2.5 and auto trans. This car has 83,000 miles and needs a water pump, intake gaskets and oil pan gaskets, which we have bought. However due to some of the leaks mentioned it needs both cats replaced. My questions: Can she replace the cats with aftermarket?
If so what converters do you recommend? Also where can I buy a repair manual for this car? I am a mechanic (I build hot rods) yet I have never worked on non American cars. Is this something a basic back yard mechanic can do? Thank you all for any help you can provide, Mark

Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hello,
I have just moved your thread off to the proer area , proper I mean lol

Well, you can read FAQs and stick to Thermo's advice

Old 06-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mark, welcome to the forums. You will find lots of information around here and lots of people to help you out with your issues and in general, talk cars. So, ask away and don't be afraid to pass on what you figure out.

Now, on to your questions.

As for the cats, how much modification are you willing to do? Unfortunately, Jag incorporated the cats into the exhaust manifold and the only way to get new cats is to get the factory stuff. As I am sure you have found out, these are not cheap. Granted, I have to ask what makes you think that the cats are bad? The cats should be good for a long, long time and having them go out at 83K miles is a little unusual. You may find that replacing the intake manifold gaskets or fixing some other issues will clear your problem. Some may even recommend a can of Seafoam to see if you can clean out some of the carbon.

As for the water pump, I think you will find this one of the easier vehicles to replace this on. If you haven't found the water pump, it is inboard of the battery on the driver's side of the engine. Replacing it is nothing more then moving the battery out of the way, loosening the tensioner, removing the 2 pulleys, then unbolting the water pump (of course having the system drained first). NOthing much to it.

As for the intake gaskets, this is again pretty easy for a guy who knows his way around cars. You will need to disconnect the lines coming off of the intake, then you will need to remove the 3 hidden 10mm bolts (2 are facing the firewall on the underside of the upper half of the intake and the 3rd is down between the throttlebody and the intake at about the same height as the other 2 bolts). From there, undo the 4 bolts holding the throttlebody to the intake. Finally undo the bolts holding the 2 halves of the intake together. From here, you can replace the upper intake gaskets. Are you also looking to replace the lower gaskets? If so, why? If you have a vacuum issue leading to P0171 and P0174 codes, there are other more common issues that should be looked at first.

Ok, now for the news that you are not wanting to hear. The oil pan gasket. This is a royal PITA. There are 2 methods of thought with this. The first (which I tend to go for) is to get under the car and pretty much remove the entire underside of the car, including the transfer case to give you access to the oil pan. Unfortunately, removing the transfer case and moving it off to the side is needed to do it this way. Part of the support bracket for the transfer case blocks a bolt for the oil pan. Option 2 is to drill a 3/4" (?) hole in the bracket for the transfer case and then remove all the other bolts to get the pan out of the way. I don't like this method as the transfer case is weak to begin with, so, why would you want to remove more metal? Guys have had this done and claim that they have had no issues. So, your call.

As for the manual for the car. Look in the FAQ's here. There is a link to a program called JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information Service). This is a CD that you can download and it will have all the information that you are after. Bolt by bolt how-to's along with all the diagrams you can want. The but to this though is if you are running Windows 7, the program will not work. It runs great on XP, so so on Vista (as I recall), but Windows 7 is a no-go.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what you are getting yourself into. I think you will find working on this car is not any different than most of the cars you work on that are made after 1996.