X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtype vs s type(2000-2005 or so)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtype vs s type(2000-2005 or so)

New here! Which of these would be more reliable/ moddable? I see a lot for 3 grand or less with very low miles sometimes, so i think im gonna get one. i like the way the xtype looks in silver so it most likely will be that one that i go with. thanks!

Old 04-03-2016, 06:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Worldcitizen, in short, if you are after performance, the S-Type hands down. Going to be a more reliable car when being pushed to its limits and there are more options out there for getting more power out of the car. I would say based on this that the S-Type R is what you are really shooting for (supercharged 4.0/4.2L motor).

If you are after something that you can take the interior and dress it up and possibly do some stuff to the exterior to change its looks, then the X-Type is probably the easier of the two to do things with. Of note, if you are planning on upgrading the radio, find a car without the SatNav in it. Jaguar incorporated a lot of other controls into the radio that are very difficult to undo if you upgrade the radio.

The following users liked this post:
worldcitizen (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Worldcitizen, in short, if you are after performance, the S-Type hands down. Going to be a more reliable car when being pushed to its limits and there are more options out there for getting more power out of the car. I would say based on this that the S-Type R is what you are really shooting for (supercharged 4.0/4.2L motor).

If you are after something that you can take the interior and dress it up and possibly do some stuff to the exterior to change its looks, then the X-Type is probably the easier of the two to do things with. Of note, if you are planning on upgrading the radio, find a car without the SatNav in it. Jaguar incorporated a lot of other controls into the radio that are very difficult to undo if you upgrade the radio.
That makes sense, I plan on doing as much of my own work on the car as i can figure how to do, which one would be easy to work on (engine/cosmetic)? thanks!

Old 04-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

worldcitizen, this is a loaded question. For me, the engine would be a much easier thing as I have very little experience with body stuff. But, there are other people that would much rather do the body stuff than to even think about changing their own air filter. You have to look at your abilities and also what abilities that your friends have. This will drive you one way or the other. I have found normally that if you buy the parts and a case or two of beer, you can get a lot done and learn a few things in the process.

On my car, I didn't touch a lot with the engine as it was enough for me at that time. I did a little bit with the body in the way of getting rid of the chrome pieces and color matching them to the rest of the car. I have also done some stuff in the past with exterior lighting, mounting my own rear wing and other stuff like that. But then, I also grew up helping my dad build a 23 T-bucket from the ground up. So, I am a motorhead at heart, but I have a willingness to branch off into other things.