XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

2017 vs 2018 XE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 vs 2018 XE?

I have been considering purchasing an XE. I see that Jaguar now has the 2018 available to configure on their website. I'm probably looking at the 35t AWD Prestige or R Sport trims.

My local dealers have some 2017's in stock that seem to have most of what I want. This will be my first Jag, and since I'm in no particular rush, I want to do my research first So, I'm wondering what this forum's thoughts are on getting a 2017 now vs. waiting a few months until the 2018's roll in?

Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Hi. With the 35T the engine will be the same, so it is just the other bits. Here is an article 2018 Jaguar XE Updated with New Engine Options ? News ? Car and Driver

The '18 model does seem to have some enhancements if you are into tech and especially if you were looking at the incontrol pro setup.

If the '17 and '18 models were the same price, I'd definately wait. But if you could snag a '17 at a decent discount, say 10% off or better, it'd be pretty compelling and the shopper in me would grab it. These are great cars as they are, it doesnt look to me that there is anything in the '18 that is a "must have" but some things are "that'd be cool".

Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

What are the difference between the two? I would wait just to have one model year newer and order the exact car you want. If the deals are big time, well then you have do what your heart tells you.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Jaguar was willing to discount a special order on even the latest year model, so you can get a custom '18 Jag AND a great deal. If you can wait, just special order your 2018 car, it was worth it to me. (Mine was last years model, purchased last year.)

I suggest you configure your perfect 2018 Jag, then contact at least three dealers (telling the furthest they REALLY have to sharpen their pencils to motivate you to do business outside you locale). sending each the exact configuration and requesting their best price. Let them know you are shopping around several dealers.

I'd start by asking for at least a $5000.00 discount...others on this forum have managed to negotiate similar deals. Personally I took my best offer back to the local dealer and had them beat it by $500.00, as well as throwing in acessories for free (Floormats, Splashguards (free insttall too))

I read that Jag is moving the XE production out of the Solihull plant...if the 2018s are produced in the other plant, chances are the toolings are also new, and most likely subtly improved here and there. Could mean the 2018 has some minor manufacturing improvements....if they get production right that is.

Also, if applicable, let em know the Alpha Romeo Gulia with the Ferrari designed engines has caught your eye...Jaguar competes head to head with Alpha Romeo in this space, and both are hungry for your business. You might want a Gulia quote from Alpha too, that will probably help apply pressure to the Jag dealers.

Tell 'em you're in no hurry, it drives them crazy. The consumer has the power!

Last edited by Austin7; 05-04-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Austin7
Also, if applicable, let em know the Alpha Romeo Gulia with the Ferrari designed engines has caught your eye...Jaguar competes head to head with Alpha Romeo in this space, and both are hungry for your business. You might want a Gulia quote from Alpha too, that will probably help apply pressure to the Jag dealers.
I would definitely test drive an Alfa Giulia; they are quite sharp in person. Alfa will lose on the warranty, but Jaguar does not offer a product for US to compete with the Quadrifoglio. As much as I love Jag, Alfa has a special place in my heart. Even the TI models are really well appointed inside and out.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I would definitely test drive an Alfa Giulia; they are quite sharp in person. Alfa will lose on the warranty, but Jaguar does not offer a product for US to compete with the Quadrifoglio. As much as I love Jag, Alfa has a special place in my heart. Even the TI models are really well appointed inside and out.
In the June 27 Motor Trend, check out the Lohdown by editor Ed Loh. After a week of testing, Ed was getting on a freeway in an Alpha Quad, the auto start did not restart, and he got stranded.

They had to get a special tow truck as when the Alpha stranded the rear wheels lock up, and you have to get a special flatbed ordered to tow. A real pain in the ***.

The new Alpha failed/stranded twice the weeks after initial testing. I have put a tune and over 6000 hard miles on my new Jag...not a single service issue...knock on wood...

I too like the Alpha design, except for the vulva grille. I drove a spider convertible back in the 80's, that was the BRZ of the time...well balanced, good handling, and individual as hell. Loved it. I might get one in my later years to restore...bad reliability and all..

(Oh yeah, in the article it's mentioned the towtruck supervisor from AAA actually violates AAA company policy in order to tow the Alpha...If it had not been Ed himself in the Alpha...who knows how long they'd be stranded. Imagine if you're on a country drive one day....and are not famous.)

Last edited by Austin7; 05-04-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Austin7

I too like the Alpha design, except for the vulva grille.

Perfect analogy, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Was it you that mentioned the Predator grille of the Toyotas on this forum ?

I nearly fell off the couch when I read that because I was laughing so hard.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I probably would've bought the Quadrifoglio instead of the XE (would have to drive the both), but it wasn't available at the time.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

I got a MiTo for my daughter and we call it VeeJay for the vagina grille. It is actually a lot of fun to drive but the TCT is dreadful and jerky at low speed, the paint is like whitewash with no gloss coat, the plastics are cheap and nasty and perishing at just on 3 years old and the build quality pretty awful.

If you were used to Jag quality you'd be pretty disappointed with an alfa, though buying a used one cheap (like maybe a 2 year old one at 50% of original price) or if new they were 60 - 70% of the price of the equivalent bimmer you'd suck it up.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Calthrop
Perfect analogy, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Was it you that mentioned the Predator grille of the Toyotas on this forum ?

I nearly fell off the couch when I read that because I was laughing so hard.
I read the Predator Grille analogy in Motor Trend, but I came up with the Vulva Grille analogy myself. A person tends to spend more thought time on things he's interested in, don't you agree?

The following users liked this post:
Charles Calthrop (05-04-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great suggestion to try the Alpha - it can't hurt to take a test drive and put a little pressure on the Jag dealer. I've sort of had my eye on it anyway, and it's at least worth a test drive. I think it's a beautiful looking car... until you see it's lewd front grille lol

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on the HUD? I think the idea of it is very cool, but I've never actually seen one in person. If you have one, do you actually use it, or is it more of a gimmick?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I have it on good authority that the cup holders will finally get a proper cover a la XF in the 2018 models !

Old 05-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

We've got the HUD in ours. I havent driven any other cars with one so I dont know how it compares but it bright enough, but not distracting and it doesnt make you focus on it which was my concern. It isnt as bright if you are wearing polaroids but you can still see it.

When you are used to it, you barely look at the speedo again. It also throws up the direction arrows if you are using the GPS, and the gear indicator when you are in sport/dynamic.

Before we got it I thought it was just a gimmick and only got it because it was with the car which was a dealer order but I think that my wife would really miss it if you took it away.

The following users liked this post:
lookatthatjag (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

I have the HUD and like it a lot. Not distracting, but I wish it could be configured to display the data I want. Would be awesome if in sport mode is had gear and rpm on the HUD. The NAV shows the turn coming up in the HUD along with the posted speed limit. I would get the HUD again if I were to order another one. I also have the heat windshield which panned out well on a few artic frigid days.