XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Any tips for keeping Ivory leather clean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any tips for keeping Ivory leather clean?

Holy cow, keeping this color of leather clean is a bear. I love the color with my BRG and I also think it makes the interior look a little more upscale (which is a criticism when compared to the German rivals).

I try to keep some McGuire's wipes in the car at all times. It's great for quick clean ups, but I still notice some dirt in the grain compared to a few months ago.

Anyone have any recommendations on the best leather cleaner and for a deep clean and condition to make it look as new as possible? Also, is a soft brush safe for getting in the grains of the leather, or do you think that will damage the leather? I want to keep it sharp for my entire lease tenure.

Although I love the color and its my favorite, when and if I buy (as in own) my next Jaguar, I'm going to go with either brogue or black for practicality.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same color same problem and my 6 year old loves to kick the seats , I discovered that can pressured (none colored ) glass cleaner works wonders on it and some leather conditioner after that .

Old 10-01-2017, 02:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some kind of a leather cleaning and maintenance package from my dealer when I leased the XE and in addition to that two bottles of leather cleaner and something else I do not recall. I used the leather cleaner with some microfiber towels and it works great. My seats get dirty from the jeans I wear

Old 10-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
I got some kind of a leather cleaning and maintenance package from my dealer when I leased the XE and in addition to that two bottles of leather cleaner and something else I do not recall. I used the leather cleaner with some microfiber towels and it works great. My seats get dirty from the jeans I wear
I have that as well Raff-

However, I didn't "get it" from the dealer, I noticed it was on my sticker at a price of like 50 bucks (yikes). One bottle is cleaner, the other is conditioner. It also has a spot carpet cleaner. Those quantities in that cleaning kit are too small and too pricey for long term care. I have some microfiber towels as well, but sometimes it doesn't get "deep" into the grain of the leather.

What color is your leather? Do you have the Ivory as well?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm not sure but mine is kind of a tan color..... but then again I thought there was only two interior colors which was mine and black.... I am not sure if it was on the price tag as I negotiated a lease price so did not worry about sticker. Besides the three bottle package they handed me two separate bottles that were bigger. You may want to get on youtube and check out some detailing interior videos about deep cleaning your seats and get one of those brushes. AMMO NYC is one guy that has some great videos. For me this cleaner worked great.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Unless your leather is analine (it isnt) or semi analine (analine with a light poly coating on it) then it is fine to use normal soap on it, like a dishwashing type of liquid in water. You can even use the dishwashing liquid on semi analine, but be more careful.

I had ivory in my first XF which I kept for 5 years. It was in a semi analine in that car. Aside from losing a bit of the colour where my belt rubbed the seams, it was fine. I use a soapy liquid first and get it nice and wet and leave if for a few minutes. That starts to lift the dirt out of the grain (whether the grain is real, or just an impression that they have printed into the paint on the leather to make it look real). Then I clean that off with a damp rag.

I also put a conditioner on, but really it is usually a waste of money doing that because the poly coating over the leather stops it from being absorbed into the leather and you just wipe it back off again when you buff it. But it makes me feel like I am doing something, so I do it anyway.

The main reason to clean your seats is that dirt and the salt from sweat abrade the paint off the leather over time.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

3M makes a leather cleaner that is really great at removing dirt, but simple dish washing soap as BruceTheQuail recommends works fine. If you do use a chemical cleaner, wipe it off with a damp towel so no residual chemical stays on the seats.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Ivory Soap? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the ivory interior too on my older car. I agree, it seems like a dirt magnet. There is a cleaning product that I use called "Meguiar's gold class leather & vinyl cleaner". I've had it for a while, so IDK where I got it.
It's this stuff:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...vinyl-cleaner/
It works really well. I spray on a light coating when the leather is cool and rub it in gently with my fingertips. I can see the dirt come right out of the grain and it wipes right off with a damp cloth or sponge.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

I have always found Xymöl to be very good. I spray it on and then work into the grain with a small brush, then wipe off with a damp cloth. I then use Autoglym Leather Care Balm.

My previous X350 had Ivory leather, and current X358 has Champagne with Mocha piping. About twice a year is sufficient, and probably only once a year on the rear seats. Drivers seat tends to get the dirtiest.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (11-29-2017)