XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

BT problems (Android Pie 9 Updates)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BT problems (Android Pie 9 Updates)

Folks - I know the BT issue has been discussed to no end, but it seems Google has caused problems once again. Has anyone with a Samsung S9 that has the update for Pie installed still able to have a successful BT connection with InControl? Mine is now cycling on and off every 30 seconds. It's not an uncommon problem on the web. I'm curious if perhaps my InControl hasn't been updated as the car was a dealer service car.

So:
1) Do you have a Samsung S9 and have you received the OS update?
2) If yes, does your BT still work?
3) if no initially, what did you do to fix it?
4) if there was no issue, what version of InControl are you running and how do i check what I have?

Thanks!

PS - yes, i have done all the usual things (restarted the phone several times, cleared off the phone from the car and the car from the phone and repaired, tried different versions of BT etc.). Phone will connect with other BT devices after the update which is why I think it maybe car related. Things worked just fine up until Wednesday!

Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 PM

Have spent my weekend trying to fix this with no success thus far. If anyone out there has similar problems, you aren't alone. Seems to be a problem with Google breaking BT AGAIN! Most of the Pixel threads seem to die out so a patch must have fixed the issue, but I have an S9 and now we wait on Samsung to fix it.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still using a Samsung S8 running Oreo, but the Pie upgrade may be rolling out soon for the S8, I wonder if I should hold off so I don't run into BT issues with my XE.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:04 PM

Don't do it until you start seeing some solutions on the boards. I have an email into my dealer to see if I have the latest version of InControl to see if that may help my issues.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got a Pixel 2XL with pie and it does all the BT problems you've found on the web too. Wife's iphone works fine of course.
Went to the shop late last year and asked them to update the system... tried every setting in the developer options of Andorid Pie... (setting BT option to ver 1.3, 1.4, or whatever it was etc.)
I've given up... using aux cable for audio and headphones when I get a call.

I was thinking about jumping to something not apple, w/ minimal bloatware... like a oneplus or something where a past version was supported, but was concerned about the Android Pie thing and your post verifies my worry.

Good luck, and please do follow-up if you find something.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Default Anybody else?

Anyone else having problems? I'm able to get the car to connect to the phone but the connection is stable for about 30 seconds and then turns off and the phone has to reconnect. Problems started after the Android update to Pie on a Samsung S9 with InControl Touch (NOT PRO). Have done all the usual things to the phone with no success with the exception of a full reset.

Maybe it's the version of my software? If you are able to successfully connect to the BT with an android phone running Pie, can you please let me know what version you are using? Again, not PRO.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I know the car is fine since I have been able to connect an Iphone without any issues since I started having problems with the Android.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Default Update

Found a solution that seems to address most of the problems: turn on the developer options and select the option to disable absolute volume. This is a new feature with Pie and does not seem to be supported by some car systems. Once I did, I dumped the BT cache via a soft-reset and the BT settings, renamed the connection and repaired. It's not perfect as the car won't stream spotify right off the bat like it did with Oreo, but once the connection is fully stable after a couple of minutes, able to stream successfully. Made a call after the connection was fully established and stayed connected through the call.

Going to still take the car into to make sure the InControl is up to date (not PRO), but now its at least functional again. Got to put away the old Iphone thankfully.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI

Check out the Samsung forum Full of people with this issue although apparently Jaguar are aware that there software is not compatible for OS9 (Pie) and do not know when it will be!!

£40k of car and you cannot safely use the phone in it.

Pretty poor really All the dealership does is blame Samsung and vice a versa

Someone needs to take responsibility and get this resolved

Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Default Same same

I just got our XE diesel back from the dealership for the third time for this problem. I did all of suggested possible workarounds for the phone and they updated the entire infotainment system. It blipped out once for the first time when I left the dealership... Next trip, it was back to the same. The Bluetooth box literally checks itself and unchecks for 2 - 7 rounds of 26 - 35 seconds of connectivity and then disconnecting. I've missed so many directions due to the Waze not being audible while driving.

$50k car, $1k phone... And I'm driving with my phone giving me directions out of the phone's speaker and I can't take calls. Thanks, Samsung!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:23 AM

I talked to Jaguar North America yesterday and they told me the update for PIE9 should be ready in the next sometime in the next four (4) months. I then called a dealership and they said there latest service bulletin had no expected release date and to refer customers to the Jaguar web site to check ourselves.

I also contacted Jaguar via email through the web site, the reply I got was lack lust at best.

I told them both this was unacceptable and I considered this a safety issue. They apologized for my inconvenience.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:39 PM

I have the Samsung S10 and it will not connect.

I talked to JLR North America and they said the patch for Pie9/Android9 should be in about four (4) months. I couldn't believe that the phone came out in March. basically, we are looking at mid to end of October. I also talked to a service rep at a local dealership and he said there most recent service bulletins give no expected date of deployment for the Pie9/Android9 patch.

I also sent then sent an email to cover all my bases. I put in my email from my perspective this is a safety issue. Needless to say, the response I got was very lack lust, but they did apologize for my inconvenience.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

A fix which has worked for me so far is to go back to an earlier version of Bluetooth on the phone. To do that you enable developer options in the phone then get into the Bluetooth app and switch from v1.2 to 1.1.

You then disable the message sync (I did that on the car not the phone) and you should be right to go. You don't get messages anymore but at least the phone works.

Post if you can't find how to do it and I will find the correct way and link it.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:56 AM

Folks - there is a fix or at least work around! Thanks to the Samsung S9 forum on the EU site btw!

1) During the unstable connection, turn off messaging and contacts on the connection with the phone
2) Turn off car and walk away before wanting to drive it off a cliff in frustration
3) Go to the Google Play Store and download an app called Bluetooth Phonebook. You need to fiddle with the settings to control how contacts are shown on the car.
4) Connect back to the car with app installed and turn contacts back on from the phone under your BT settings. May need to cycle the car / connection for the contacts to reappear, but they will.
5) Open the windows and sunroof, pick your favorite music from spotify (turn up the volume because still can't figure out why the volume is so low on BT) and go for an enjoyable drive for the first time since January!!

The Bluetooth Address Book is an app that handles the syncing of the contacts on the head unit instead of the built in functionality of the phone. It is not a separate address book or anything. Just runs in the background on the phone. I'm not sure what other changes I made on the developer side on my phone, but tried most of them!

Unclear if things still are stable when you turn contacts back on. Haven't tried it.

Last edited by jsavner; 06-23-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Wrong app name
The following users liked this post:
markbos (04-20-2020)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I have put on the Bluetooth phonebook app and my contacts are now working, also I can send and receive texts so as data would say, I am "fully functional".

Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 PM
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,789 Posts

I have a Samsung S9 and everything works great on my Feb 2019 build XE....Phone, Messages, message reply and readout of messages.
I must admit that every time Samsung ask for a software update I run a mile and put it off.
Do you think the phone updates could be problematic?

Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the Pie update from earlier this year is what killed it, but from memory it also depends on what version of incontrol you have.

Daf11e (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Daf11e
I have a Samsung S9 and everything works great on my Feb 2019 build XE....Phone, Messages, message reply and readout of messages.
I must admit that every time Samsung ask for a software update I run a mile and put it off.
Do you think the phone updates could be problematic?
If you have InTouch Pro you're fine with the latest Android update.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mazen Ajouz:
BruceTheQuail (06-24-2019), Daf11e (06-25-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth phonebook

Originally Posted by jsavner
Anyone else having problems? I'm able to get the car to connect to the phone but the connection is stable for about 30 seconds and then turns off and the phone has to reconnect. Problems started after the Android update to Pie on a Samsung S9 with InControl Touch (NOT PRO). Have done all the usual things to the phone with no success with the exception of a full reset.

Maybe it's the version of my software? If you are able to successfully connect to the BT with an android phone running Pie, can you please let me know what version you are using? Again, not PRO.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I know the car is fine since I have been able to connect an Iphone without any issues since I started having problems with the Android.
I downloaded an app called Bluetooth Phonebook and it solved all my disconnecting problems.

BruceTheQuail (07-05-2019)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:44 AM
Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Any updates on the "free download" for 2018 MY? How did it go and were there any issues / changes?

Old 04-14-2020, 09:22 AM

Not sure about the download. Since things have been working with the Phonebook app on my phone I have left it well enough alone! Does the phonebook app not solve your problem with your car?

FeralSVR (04-14-2020)

Quick Reply: BT problems (Android Pie 9 Updates)