XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Bubble in Tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts
Question Bubble in Tire

I noticed yesterday a big bubble in the passenger front tire. Car has about 2K miles and I've owned it since mid September. Is this covered under warranty?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have a "Wheel and tire protection package" they will replace it at no cost.

If you don't however, then it will not be covered by warranty since tires are considered a regular wear and tear items.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought the w&t protection package, and discovered a ripped sidewall when I had fewer than 500 miles on the car.

My dealer replaced the tire without any argument. I was appalled, however, when I found that no New York shop, including the two Jaguar dealers, kept the Pirelli tire in stock. It took a few days to get my car back.

The dealer gave me an XF as a loaner, so I was not seiously inconvenienced, but what a pain it would have been had I been traveling somewhere where there was no Jaguar dealer, and thus no loaner!

Old 11-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I bought the w&t protection package, and discovered a ripped sidewall when I had fewer than 500 miles on the car.

My dealer replaced the tire without any argument. I was appalled, however, when I found that no New York shop, including the two Jaguar dealers, kept the Pirelli tire in stock. It took a few days to get my car back.

The dealer gave me an XF as a loaner, so I was not seiously inconvenienced, but what a pain it would have been had I been traveling somewhere where there was no Jaguar dealer, and thus no loaner!
You do realize that you are not entitled to a loaner from another dealer, they are offered as a courtesy. I do know some dealers in the Boston area only provided a loaner if you purchase the car there.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:53 PM

That's true, and it makes the prospect of a hard to replace tire even scarier.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by booklaw1
....... My dealer replaced the tire without any argument. I was appalled, however, when I found that no New York shop, including the two Jaguar dealers, kept the Pirelli tire in stock. It took a few days to get my car back. .....
I'm not too surprised to hear the Pirelli brand is not available from stock. US members across many of the model forums are often vociferous in their dislike of the brand and it's regular to read 'can't wait to get rid of these Pirelli's. If this attitude is so widespread, it must impact on shops' decision on stocking.

One advantage of the tyre having to be ordered is you should get one with a very recent manufacturing date. I always check the date on the sidewall of a 'new' tyre before having it fitted. Like all rubber products, they deteriorate with time and I don't like running them for much more than five years. If a tyre has been sitting in the depot for a year or so that's a good percentage of it's useful life gone before even turning a wheel.

Graham

Old 11-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

So, I emailed the dealership with a picture of the bubble this morning. I figure I'll give them a shot at the business if they can get it covered. If they cannot cover it, I will not buy the tire from them. I had a nail in the passenger side rear tire and the dealership failed to service it correctly. Not only that, they charged almost $200 more than if I went to the Aston-Lotus dealer or a tire store for the same tire!

I called a local place, Sullivan Tire, and they wanted $295 installed for the front tire. I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow unless the dealership comes through.

I wanted tire and wheel protection insurance. I spoke to the dealership and left a message with the finance guy, but he never returned my call. This dealership is good because it's close, any kind of parts or service is usually a fail in my years owning JLR products...

Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
If you have a "Wheel and tire protection package" they will replace it at no cost.

If you don't however, then it will not be covered by warranty since tires are considered a regular wear and tear items.
It's been a while since I've owned a new car, but at one time the tires were covered by a separate warranty of their own, usually by the tire manufacturer directly.

Is this no longer true?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
It's been a while since I've owned a new car, but at one time the tires were covered by a separate warranty of their own, usually by the tire manufacturer directly.

Is this no longer true?
Maybe on some very high-end manufacturers. But in my experience, (I had several punctures) it is considered a regular wear item and not covered by warranty.

That is why W&T package is often a good deal if you live in an area with bad roads

mosesbotbol
I would recommend having the wheel nut lock in hand, otherwise Sullivan's cannot unlock the wheels. I've dealt with them before and they would always call me for the "wheel nut keys"

brooklaw1
Did your XE come with Pirelli tires?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

How strange. For fun, I just checked several 'mainstream' OEMs- each comes with a warranty provided by the tire manufacturer. Wording is pretty similar to what you get when buying replacement tires directly.

The bubble the OP mentions sounds like it might be a manufacturing defect.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I would have also said that a bubble in the sidewall after 2k miles is a manufacturing defect rather than fair wear and tear. The (a) dealership should replace it free of charge.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM

Demetre Gvaramia:

Yes, my XE came with Pirelli tires (two different sizes... front and back).

Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I have yet to see a tire manufacturer admit that a bubble [or anything else for that matter] is a tire defect.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

So, the service department at the Jag dealership called me back. He said that it is most likely not warrantied. They'd have to pull the tire and check. I asked if it is not warrantied, are you putting my tire back on? He was being coy on that, as they ripped me off on the last tire they replaced. I don't want my car held hostage or be off the road for days as they don't have tire and won't remount my old one...

I don't even want them near my car actually... After they failed a simple tire change the last time; if it's not for free they aren't coming near the car.

I have the wheel lock in the trunk and maybe Sullivan Tire can do something on the warranty if that is provided by the Pirelli and it is a defect?

The more I deal with Sudbury Jag, the less confident I am in giving them business.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bubble in sidewall of Pirelli P7 AS tire

Got a bubble on the sidewall of front passenger tire. Dealer says they see it all the time and not covered since it was "impact damage" - $300 to replace. I am concerned these tires cant handle any "impacts" and can only be used on smooth roads which I would call a design defect. Just wondering how many people on this forum have experienced this issue with this tire brand?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

I am on my 5th or so tire in 12K miles due to bubbles or tears. Worst tires ever. Dealer says this is a common issue and stocks the tire due to replacing so much.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:41 PM

I’ve had bubbles in two Pirelli tires and a ripped sidewall in a third, in less than two years (8k miles) of ownership. This is the single most (of very few) unlikeable thing about my XE.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a shame about your P7 A/S, Tire Rack rates them #1 for Grand Touring A/S - much better than the Continental ProContact(s) that are original equipment on my 2015 XF (245/40-19).
I took advantage of Michelin's Spring rebate and just ordered a set of their Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which are Tire Rack's top rated Ultra High Performance A/S. Even though I only have 16K miles on the Conti(s), I'm ready to scrap them. I can confirm all the negative comments posted on the Tire Rack site.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ooops, I just looked up Tire Rack for your XE (specific sizes) and the P7(s) were not rated all that great.
I originally was looking at P7 Plus which were top rated. Sorry.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pirelli P& Cinturato P7 All Season Tires

After doing a little homework on the subject tires which came stock on my XE R-Sport 3.5T AWD I found out they only have a "H" speed rating which means 130 mph max. Explains why the need for the 125mph speed limiter on the car. Hard to believe spending close to 60K on a "performance" car and getting crappy H rated tires. Would not be surprised weak sidewalls are the reason for the H speed rating and the root cause for the sidewall bubble issue.