XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Bubble in Tire

 
  #41  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM
docman's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 38
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
The local tire shops also have warranties and similar pricing to TireRack.
I found that to generally be the case for the price of the tires themselves. Where Belle & Discount Tire gets you, is in the extras. That's why I have Tire Rack ship to my preferred installer. I usually save around $100 when all is said and done.

I don't know if local shops are competitive on winter wheel/tire packages, Tire Rack seems to have decent prices on rims. They charge more for TPMS valves, but I buy those on ebay and have them shipped to Tire Rack prior to mounting/balancing & subsequent shipping back to me.
 
  #42  
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM
mosesbotbol's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 5,327
Received 685 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by docman View Post
I found that to generally be the case for the price of the tires themselves. Where Belle & Discount Tire gets you, is in the extras. That's why I have Tire Rack ship to my preferred installer. I usually save around $100 when all is said and done.

I don't know if local shops are competitive on winter wheel/tire packages, Tire Rack seems to have decent prices on rims. They charge more for TPMS valves, but I buy those on ebay and have them shipped to Tire Rack prior to mounting/balancing & subsequent shipping back to me.
I'd rather pay the extra $100 and have any failures on the tire shop's side. I want them to own the install and products used.
 
  #43  
Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 PM
guppydriver's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 63
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by docman View Post
For those of you that haven't seen the recent Car and Driver magazine, they showcased their long term test (40K miles) with a 2017 XE 35t R-Sport AWD. Although the car came with black Venom 19" rims and Pirelli P7 all season tires, C & D asked for an additional set of 20" Propeller wheels and P Zero summers. C & D showered the car with praise (especially with the 20" set-up), but they went through multiple rims and tires, the first issue being a sidewall bubble after only 5 days of testing with a repeat on the replacement tire 6 weeks later. For winter they mounted Pirelli Sotozeros on the 19" rims, and Michigan potholes took one of the rear tires out. Once the weather improved, they re-mounted the 20 inchers / summer P Zeros. The XE lost both right side tires in May due to potholes then again in June with bent rims. October revealed bulging sidewalls on both fronts and an additional bent left rear rim with a chunk out of the tread, requiring another replacement tire.
Final death toll - 3 rims, 10 tires.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-update-review


I have been lucky so far. 8000 miles and just a touch of curb rash on one rim due to me being an idiot. I was thinking about getting it touched up, but it sounds like it may not be worth it if they do a crappy job
 
  #44  
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 AM
mosesbotbol's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 5,327
Received 685 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by guppydriver View Post
I have been lucky so far. 8000 miles and just a touch of curb rash on one rim due to me being an idiot. I was thinking about getting it touched up, but it sounds like it may not be worth it if they do a crappy job
If the curb rash took off some metal, your wheel may be off balance. All depends how much came off and how sensitive you are on feeling it. The littlest piece that came off my Evora wheel made a noticeable difference and could be validated on the wheel balancing machine. I had to refinish the wheels to make it balance perfect and the rash was like nothing looking.
 
The following users liked this post:
guppydriver (05-11-2018)
  #45  
Old 05-09-2018, 03:51 PM
NewLester de Rocin's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Eastern US
Posts: 233
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

I say get them touched up, and I’ll explain my perspective of WHY:

The XE is a shockingly fun sedan to drive (sedan being a word that’s supposed to mean grown-up, business like, and proper… and when you get behind the XE seat long enough, you are blown away by how “immature” it allows us to get when we’re challenged by unknowing unprepared Lexus and BMW owners on the streets).
It’s great to have a car like this that surprises everyone with its performance abilities,.. but it also makes a lot of us reach way beyond our “plain-driver” abilities, and put the car through some unaware and excessive wheel punishment.
The real expert drivers and professionals (which I’m not) drive on specially prepped pavements, or on roads they know yard-by-yard in detail.
Plain-drivers try to drive like Grand Theft Auto, and plow their 19 or 20 inch wheels through six unknown potholes every ten minutes, potholes they ordinarily would have avoided if they weren’t having so much fun with the transmission.
I personally have to exercise serious self-control, or my kind of fun will end up damaging the standard 18” rims I’ve got.
Car n Driver intentionally drove the pothole roads to accurately rack up what might happen over 40K miles of driving fun.
So I don’t feel that the rims are particularly bad or a poor quality… I feel the car’s amazing abilities just tend to invite us owners to treat our rims extra rough (…ironically, the higher the XE model you bought, the larger and more vulnerable the rim diameter, and LOL the more spirited and less pothole evasive the driver tends to be).

And the Pirellis? UUGH. At 18”, your car comes with Continental tires, and the Contis can take pothole-life pretty well… at 19 and 20” come the Pirellis, and those things just seem too ready for track and less ready for street hazards.


But Guppy, if you’ve done nearly 10K with not even much curb scratching, you’re excellent with your XE, and should expect to have those rims last at least a few years.

A chip or scratch on well-cared for rims is a great opportunity to practice using DIY touch-up and care. Repair on the body paint is scary as surgery… but repair on the silver/black rims gives you confidence that you can practice mastering the job without tiny mistakes being noticeable.
I have some stone ****** on my rims---and the owners say I should attack them right away, or water and salt will get under the paint and start flaking it off the wheel. I was able to locate the famous “sparkle silver” color pens made by Jaguar themselves, so I know it’s the dead right color. Any time I nick the rim-paint, I’m going to carefully touch it up. ESPECIALLY since moses’ observation is right that the professional refinishers keep getting it slightly WRONG trying to match Jaguar’s sparkle-silver).
It sounds like you’re a good enough driver like me, that pampering your rims with touch-up is worth it, and not a waste of time.

If on the other hand, you fall into the category of Fast n Furious 19 stuntmen described above (and in this moral website I browse, Most Recent Exotic Car Crashes), then don’t bother touching your rims up---they won’t survive the fun you’re having with the XE
 
The following users liked this post:
guppydriver (05-11-2018)
  #46  
Old 05-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 193
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

I just lost two more tires (a bubble in each) and a rim. That’s something like 5 tires and 3 rims in just under two years (9000 miles, total) of XE ownership.

Love those NYC potholes!
 
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-25-2018)
  #47  
Old 02-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Hey guys, not sure if this thread is still active, but I'll take a chance and post in hope of some feedback. I am another "semi-mostly-happy" 2017 XE R-Sport driver here who recently hit a major separation of cement on the highway and developed multiple bubbles on the driver side front and rear tires with approximately 20,000miles on the odo. Although I love the car, the reason I am "semi-mostly-happy" is because the vehicle has had a substantial pull to the left since the first day I drove it off the lot brand new. I believe I've posted here in the past and the feedback I received indicated it wasn't a normal thing for the car. After a multitude of attempted fixes by Jaguar, the issue has remained, and no one seems to have an explanation. I would have been resigned to it being a Jag issue, but my F-Type S has no such issue and has wider tires and presumably more grip that it would want to follow the grooves in the road (yet no such happens). I am a bit disappointed since the XE is fantastic in many ways (maybe the fit and finish could be better inside relative to an Audi s4, but its neither here nor there). The car handles well, has great acceleration and is a comfortable cruiser, if it could just track straight.

With this said, I am up against changing the tires, but having the Ftype with Conti DWS06s which I got in place of the Summer Pirellis has got me thinking again. Could it be that these awful Pirelli P7's that everyone seems to complain about be the issue with my XE? With that said, I guess I have a decision to make which I am struggling with. I only have a little over a year on the lease left for the XE, do I just get two Pirelli P7s to replace the damaged ones on the left side and just ride it out till the end. Or, do I get a set of Conti DWS06's at all four corners and possibly find out that I enjoy the ride for the remained of the time I have left with the car. This may sound like a ridiculous inquiry, but I had really contemplated buying the car at lease end (likely a reasonable residual for a car that would have about 30,000 miles and taken care of by me), and then would have no hesitation buying a set of tires now. However, I am not sure I'd want to keep the car with the pull and would likely get another Jag for my daily like the XE, XE S, or an FPace S. I know decisions decisions, and I understand the financial differences behind purchasing a car vs. leasing, I usually negotiate the heck out of a lease sale price and am familiar with mfs and rv's. So all those factors aside, I'd love to hear some thoughts from the members here on what they may do, buy the set of Conti's or ride it out with the P7's and send back to lease company or dealer. I guess my secret hope is that Conti's make the car better and resolve the pulling issue which nobody seems to want or be able to fix adequately. If not, then someone down the road can enjoy a lightly used set of Conti's on the Jag after I turn it in.

The decision is a bit hard since I do enjoy the car and after days or a week of driving the F-type, I look forward to jumping in the XE for my everyday drives.

best to everyone!
 
  #48  
Old 02-22-2019, 05:20 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: new jersey
Posts: 797
Received 295 Likes on 187 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dmtnps5591 View Post
Hey guys, not sure if this thread is still active, but I'll take a chance and post in hope of some feedback. I am another "semi-mostly-happy" 2017 XE R-Sport driver here who recently hit a major separation of cement on the highway and developed multiple bubbles on the driver side front and rear tires with approximately 20,000miles on the odo. Although I love the car, the reason I am "semi-mostly-happy" is because the vehicle has had a substantial pull to the left since the first day I drove it off the lot brand new. I believe I've posted here in the past and the feedback I received indicated it wasn't a normal thing for the car. After a multitude of attempted fixes by Jaguar, the issue has remained, and no one seems to have an explanation. I would have been resigned to it being a Jag issue, but my F-Type S has no such issue and has wider tires and presumably more grip that it would want to follow the grooves in the road (yet no such happens). I am a bit disappointed since the XE is fantastic in many ways (maybe the fit and finish could be better inside relative to an Audi s4, but its neither here nor there). The car handles well, has great acceleration and is a comfortable cruiser, if it could just track straight.

With this said, I am up against changing the tires, but having the Ftype with Conti DWS06s which I got in place of the Summer Pirellis has got me thinking again. Could it be that these awful Pirelli P7's that everyone seems to complain about be the issue with my XE? With that said, I guess I have a decision to make which I am struggling with. I only have a little over a year on the lease left for the XE, do I just get two Pirelli P7s to replace the damaged ones on the left side and just ride it out till the end. Or, do I get a set of Conti DWS06's at all four corners and possibly find out that I enjoy the ride for the remained of the time I have left with the car. This may sound like a ridiculous inquiry, but I had really contemplated buying the car at lease end (likely a reasonable residual for a car that would have about 30,000 miles and taken care of by me), and then would have no hesitation buying a set of tires now. However, I am not sure I'd want to keep the car with the pull and would likely get another Jag for my daily like the XE, XE S, or an FPace S. I know decisions decisions, and I understand the financial differences behind purchasing a car vs. leasing, I usually negotiate the heck out of a lease sale price and am familiar with mfs and rv's. So all those factors aside, I'd love to hear some thoughts from the members here on what they may do, buy the set of Conti's or ride it out with the P7's and send back to lease company or dealer. I guess my secret hope is that Conti's make the car better and resolve the pulling issue which nobody seems to want or be able to fix adequately. If not, then someone down the road can enjoy a lightly used set of Conti's on the Jag after I turn it in.

The decision is a bit hard since I do enjoy the car and after days or a week of driving the F-type, I look forward to jumping in the XE for my everyday drives.

best to everyone!
Too bad you drove it off the lot with that problem. I always test drive the car for at least 30 minutes before I buy it and as a result I have happily avoided buying quite a few cars. On multiple occasions the new car I was going to buy did not track straight and the salesman tried to blame 'road crown'...or something stupid and I told him either fix it right now or no sale. They always told me the same answer - "we can't fix it". Oh well too bad for you...no sale then.
A pull to the left is a very annoying problem and just ruins the cars experience.
-Have you swapped the front tires from left to right?
-Is the air pressure spot on correct?
-Have you tried to increase/decrease the air pressure to see if it improves the pull?
-Can the dealer swap out another set of wheels from another XE to see if it fixes the problem?
-Can you try to find another XE owner and see how his car drives? Maybe swap wheels with him to see how yours responds (and his as well)
-Lastly - how about an independent wheel alignment shop? Have you tried that?
-Is it still under warranty? Doesn't this qualify under lemon law if they can't fix it??

 
  #49  
Old 02-22-2019, 05:46 PM
docman's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 38
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P7

I check reviews on TireRack. Looks like you should pass on the P7's. I have owned Conti DWS and were reasonably pleased. I now run Michelin.
 
  #50  
Old 02-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Fraser Mitchell's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crewe, England
Posts: 7,323
Received 1,570 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Default

There has to be something wrong with dmtnps5591's XE as mine tracks straight and true and I can even take my hands off the wheel and it still is true, there is no bias whatsoever. It sounds like somebody previously walloped the car in a pothole or similar.
 
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (02-24-2019)
  #51  
Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 AM
mosesbotbol's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 5,327
Received 685 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

dmtnps5591 I would replace the tires with something decent. A year is a long time and you'll need to have a minimum amount of tread for your lease return requirements. Local tire places have sales on premium brand tires. You should be able to replace all four for 1K all in.

I would return the car at the end of the lease. No way should you keep it. Buy was so high on our XE, we couldn't even trade it in. Where we just leased our Volvo, the GM was the finance manager at the local JLR dealership. His comments about Jags, financing, etc... were very illuminating. Volvo wanted nothing to do with the XE and paid our lease off instead. I have a "free" XE until June. Best part of leasing is being able to walk away at the end. XF Sportbrakes are the best deal in the Jag line up right now. Discounts are huge on MSRP. We almost bought one that had over 20K discount.
 
The following users liked this post:
Prange (02-28-2019)
  #52  
Old 02-24-2019, 10:16 AM
mosesbotbol's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 5,327
Received 685 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell View Post
There has to be something wrong with dmtnps5591's XE as mine tracks straight and true and I can even take my hands off the wheel and it still is true, there is no bias whatsoever. It sounds like somebody previously walloped the car in a pothole or similar.
All four of my XE's wheels were bent on the last service a couple of months ago...
 
  #53  
Old 02-28-2019, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 107
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
All four of my XE's wheels were bent on the last service a couple of months ago...
A few years back, all four were bent on my SRT8 Charger. It's the nature of those 20" wheel/low-profile tire combinations.
 
  #54  
Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 AM
mosesbotbol's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 5,327
Received 685 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Prange View Post
A few years back, all four were bent on my SRT8 Charger. It's the nature of those 20" wheel/low-profile tire combinations.
I have the 19"... The finance guy from Jaguar said bent wheels are common issue on Jaguar. Hard to think it would be isolated to him, but may since moving to Volvo, there is not so many low profile racy wheels in their line up? I'd imagine whomever supplies wheels for Jaguar does so for other marques? Does Jaguar offer a forged wheel option on the XE?

As an aside, I was at an Aston Martin Owners Club pub night last night. One member said he wife's XE caught on fire on the highway when their son was driving. Just out of nowhere and the car was a loss (3.0 V6). I know this can happen to any car, but it's the first I heard on an XE.
 
  #55  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 107
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I have the 19"... The finance guy from Jaguar said bent wheels are common issue on Jaguar. Hard to think it would be isolated to him, but may since moving to Volvo, there is not so many low profile racy wheels in their line up? I'd imagine whomever supplies wheels for Jaguar does so for other marques? Does Jaguar offer a forged wheel option on the XE?

As an aside, I was at an Aston Martin Owners Club pub night last night. One member said he wife's XE caught on fire on the highway when their son was driving. Just out of nowhere and the car was a loss (3.0 V6). I know this can happen to any car, but it's the first I heard on an XE.
Bent wheels are commonplace with BMW,too.

Imagine having a new Shelby with the carbon fiber wheels. They're around 4k apiece!
I'd have the dealer take them off the car, put them in my buddy's pickup and put the plain-jane alloys on the car. I wouldn't even drive on them around here.
 
  #56  
Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by booklaw1 View Post
I bought the w&t protection package, and discovered a ripped sidewall when I had fewer than 500 miles on the car.

My dealer replaced the tire without any argument. I was appalled, however, when I found that no New York shop, including the two Jaguar dealers, kept the Pirelli tire in stock. It took a few days to get my car back.

The dealer gave me an XF as a loaner, so I was not seiously inconvenienced, but what a pain it would have been had I been traveling somewhere where there was no Jaguar dealer, and thus no loaner!
———————-
hey. I’m in NY too. I have bubbles in both front tires as well as a crack in the passenger rim. How could I find out if I have the tire protection?
 
  #57  
Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 AM
mosesbotbol's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 5,327
Received 685 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JustBlessed View Post
hey. I’m in NY too. I have bubbles in both front tires as well as a crack in the passenger rim. How could I find out if I have the tire protection?
Call your selling dealership and ask. It's a $1200+ add-on to the car, so you should remember if you bought it additionally. You should be able to buy post sale at the dealership. They'll ask you to wait like 30-40 days before putting in a claim. I bought my policy on the XE two months into leasing the car.
 
  #58  
Old 03-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Yea I’m around a year and a half so prob no shot.
 
  #59  
Old 03-01-2019, 10:55 AM
mosesbotbol's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 5,327
Received 685 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

They ask to wait on a claim if post sale so it does not look fishy.
 
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: