XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Bubble in Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jaguar must've got a sweetheart deal on going with those Pirelli's. I think that was also the case with the Dunlop's my XK came with. They were like double the price of everybody else and not many stuck with them when it came time to replace.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 AM
zk1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these the 19 inch wheels? This has me wondering if I should go with a wheel and tire warranty or replace the tires when I get the car. I'd rather not have to do that though... it gets decent reviews on tire rack. That seems out of the norm to have multiple bubbles in only a short distance and would think that would be a defect

Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rim & Tire insurance should be an absolute mandate on this car. I have far surpassed the purchase price of the policy within one year in. First car I have had this policy on and worth every penny & then some!!!

I would really like to see how the XE drives with real performance summer tires. I bet it really transforms the car.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM
zk1

how much did the insurance run you?

Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zk1
how much did the insurance run you?
I thought $1,400.00 for three years, zero deductible.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

OOOUUCH! Ow! Stop hitting me!! $1400 for three years?!
I’m planning to upgrade my factory tires with 3-season performance tires soon. They’ll cost me about $500 mounted and balanced. I could replace them with brand new ones EVERY YEAR, and it won’t cost me much more than the insurance.
Are you sure the insurance is THAT HIGH?

Old 04-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
OOOUUCH! Ow! Stop hitting me!! $1400 for three years?!
I’m planning to upgrade my factory tires with 3-season performance tires soon. They’ll cost me about $500 mounted and balanced. I could replace them with brand new ones EVERY YEAR, and it won’t cost me much more than the insurance.
Are you sure the insurance is THAT HIGH?
That's cheap. Each time there is a new tire, that is almost $500 at the dealer installed. Need your rim refinished? That's like $300 a pop. I have gone through 5 tires alone in a year. Never mind 4+ wheel refinishing. That is the best insurance I have ever bought.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you that haven't seen the recent Car and Driver magazine, they showcased their long term test (40K miles) with a 2017 XE 35t R-Sport AWD. Although the car came with black Venom 19" rims and Pirelli P7 all season tires, C & D asked for an additional set of 20" Propeller wheels and P Zero summers. C & D showered the car with praise (especially with the 20" set-up), but they went through multiple rims and tires, the first issue being a sidewall bubble after only 5 days of testing with a repeat on the replacement tire 6 weeks later. For winter they mounted Pirelli Sotozeros on the 19" rims, and Michigan potholes took one of the rear tires out. Once the weather improved, they re-mounted the 20 inchers / summer P Zeros. The XE lost both right side tires in May due to potholes then again in June with bent rims. October revealed bulging sidewalls on both fronts and an additional bent left rear rim with a chunk out of the tread, requiring another replacement tire.
Final death toll - 3 rims, 10 tires.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 PM

OUCH some more!! They are KILLING you in Boston. In New York, an authorized refinishing is $170. Tire install at your dealer sounds high too… but I admit I haven’t tried getting my dealer to do new tires for me yet. I guess I’m in for a beating.

Judging from your collection of car bodies, I have to ask, Moose---do you consider yourself a punishing driver on tires?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
OUCH some more!! They are KILLING you in Boston. In New York, an authorized refinishing is $170. Tire install at your dealer sounds high too… but I admit I haven’t tried getting my dealer to do new tires for me yet. I guess I’m in for a beating.

Judging from your collection of car bodies, I have to ask, Moose---do you consider yourself a punishing driver on tires?
Hardly. I never bent rim until I owned the XE (scratched yes) and don't recall ever having a bubble in a tire. When I first bought the XE, I did not get the tire/rim insurance and after the first damage, I had a change of heart. Glad I did it. Maybe the refinishing is a little less? I paid out of pocket on my Evora once and that was like $200+ for one wheel. I have owned plenty of Jags, so I thought why the heck would I need such a policy even though all my friends have it on various cars and swear by it.

I am as gentle/careful a driver as they get. The XE is my better half's car, but she is careful too. Heck, I wash them once week, use MasterBlaster, etc...

The worst part on the wheel refinishing is they never get to match. I have had them redo wheels 3+ times to where I have thrown in the towel. JLR called me and I said don't even mention to the dealer as they can't even do simple stuff like painting a wheel and setting the tire pressure correct.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 04-24-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:08 PM
zk1

wow that is insane... now it's making me afraid to get this car. I was expecting the insurance to cost like $500

Old 04-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zk1
wow that is insane... now it's making me afraid to get this car. I was expecting the insurance to cost like $500
I have never seen tire & rim insurance under 1K no matter the make or model.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I’m with Zk1. I think we grew up in my town safely assuming that Product Insurance and Product Warranty Extension was a gimmick. It’s a bad prejudice against what I’m sure is realistic good insurance, but… I’m programmed to say “all that money for the insurance plan??!!”

I’d rather dance around the street holes and shrapnel.

I’ve also tried the wheel refinishing once at the dealer’s agent, and it is a mis-match. You’re not unlucky, Moose. Our dealers here are just as color-blind when it comes to wheels.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The answer is smaller wheels and fatter tyres ! Since I swapped out my 19" rims with 17" last year all my kerbing problems have gone, the ride is more comfortable, and the tyres are cheaper. What's not to like, guys ? Tyre profile is now 55, same as wife's New Beetle. Is anyone going to track days every weekend ? Surely not !

Old 04-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Had to replace a front tire twice because of a bubble and Pirelli refuses to admit to a weak defective side wall. What a piece of crap that P7 is. I will never recommend that brand of tire again and hope that someone at Jaguar reads these posts and jag switches to another manufacture. One more bubble and all 4 Pirelli tires go in the garbage.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nuke986
Had to replace a front tire twice because of a bubble and Pirelli refuses to admit to a weak defective side wall. What a piece of crap that P7 is. I will never recommend that brand of tire again and hope that someone at Jaguar reads these posts and jag switches to another manufacture. One more bubble and all 4 Pirelli tires go in the garbage.
I would've done the same, but the tire & rim insurance pays for the replacements.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I went with the 18's instead of the 19's or 20's deliberately in order to lessen the chances of rim damage, so far so good after 21K Mi.

This also lowers the cost of rubber replacement compared to 19's and 20's.

I just got a set of four the new to market Pilot Sport 4S for my baby for around $800.00, they are literally going on the car this morning.

(Supposed to be some of the best tires on the market...I can't wait! Loved my Pilot Sports)

The taller rubber also helps avoid curb rash, etc. (I've been really careful and pretty lucky so far, knock on wood)

Taller rubber provides a more comfortable ride. Food for thought.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

you guys should consider buying your tires from TireRack. Comes with a 2 year warranty that I've already used twice.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin7
I went with the 18's instead of the 19's or 20's deliberately in order to lessen the chances of rim damage, so far so good after 21K Mi.

The taller rubber also helps avoid curb rash, etc. (I've been really careful and pretty lucky so far, knock on wood)

Taller rubber provides a more comfortable ride. Food for thought.
I'm going 18 for my winters (for all the reasons stated), but like the sharper handling and good looks of 19(s) for May - November.

+1 for Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

The local tire shops also have warranties and similar pricing to TireRack.