XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Chip guards for 2018 XE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip guards for 2018 XE

I have a 2018 XK 35t Prestige. After a little more than 3,000 miles, the front portion of the rear wheel flare is riddled with stone chips. Does any one know of a sized to fit clear stone guard?

Old 04-19-2018, 02:52 PM

I have a 2018 XE with the same problem riddled with stone chips at only 900 miles, and I am told that Jaguar will not fix it as road damage is not their responsibility. This seems to be a common problem although the dealer has told me that they have never seen stone chip damage before. Only drive on black top roads and cannot understand how the car got so many stone chips, and it looks terrible. I have the 18 inch wheels and I am wondering if this is the cause. I would gladly have purchased mudflaps or a guard had I known about the possibility of chips

Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Would appreciate if someone would move this to the XE forum, I am wondering if others are experiencing the same problem,

Old 04-20-2018, 02:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,762 Likes on 12,151 Posts

Originally Posted by jmbdak
I have a 2018 XE 35t Prestige. After a little more than 3,000 miles, the front portion of the rear wheel flare is riddled with stone chips. Does any one know of a sized to fit clear stone guard?
Welcome to the forum jmbdak,

I've moved your question from XK/XKR(X150) to XE (X760) forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANCOT1
although the dealer has told me that they have never seen stone chip damage before.
Wow, dealers will say ANYTHING! My BS meter just hit the red.

The chip problem on the flare is common on every XE, with or without flaps. This is one of the aerodynamic flares of the car designed to cut wind resistance, so as a forward facing piece very close to the pavement it will suffer abuse. I have flaps on mine and still have the problem.

You can get your own clear vinyl wrap and custom cut your own clear protectors to fit, I know of no pre-cut pieces as the XE is still somewhat rare compared to the beemers and other largely mass produced cars on the road.

The following users liked this post:
FRANCOT1 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes very common issue that I had myself. I only drive on highways as well and after 2000 miles I was already noticing it was starting to look bad. I had the chip guard film put on. That works incredibly well. I am sure I could have bought it and done it myself, but the place I had it put on at also fixes all the small road rash and chips. They touched up the larger ones with the touchup paint I purchased and then they have some sort of chemical wash or something that fills in the road rash stuff then lay the film over that. They did a great job. I can't tell the film is even on there unless I am really looking. You can purchase the precut stone guard protection pieces off ebay for pretty cheap. They have ones that just cover that back flared out part or ones that guard the entire lower rocker wheel to wheel.

FRANCOT1 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by carpenter75
Yes very common issue that I had myself. I only drive on highways as well and after 2000 miles I was already noticing it was starting to look bad. I had the chip guard film put on. That works incredibly well. I am sure I could have bought it and done it myself, but the place I had it put on at also fixes all the small road rash and chips. They touched up the larger ones with the touchup paint I purchased and then they have some sort of chemical wash or something that fills in the road rash stuff then lay the film over that. They did a great job. I can't tell the film is even on there unless I am really looking. You can purchase the precut stone guard protection pieces off ebay for pretty cheap. They have ones that just cover that back flared out part or ones that guard the entire lower rocker wheel to wheel.
Would you mind sharing what you paid to have the chip guard film put on. I was reading about XPEL protective films and was wondering if this is better than the ones on Ebay.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FRANCOT1 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANCOT1
Would you mind sharing what you paid to have the chip guard film put on. I was reading about XPEL protective films and was wondering if this is better than the ones on Ebay.
I paid $180 to have it put on. This covers the rocker wheel to wheel and he also went up all the way up the edge of the door as well. It did not include behind the rear wheel.

FRANCOT1 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The paint quality is not the highest on the XE; way too soft. The newer the Jag, the worse the paint. Jaguar should use something better even if not as "green". Separating themselves from other marques with industry leading paint jobs would a good arrow in the quill.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I see Xpel has a kit for XE rocker panels...
Paint Protection Kits - XPEL