XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Considering leasing a 2017 XE 25t

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Considering leasing a 2017 XE 25t

Hello all. I've owned my 2004 X-Type for four years now and I'm definitely ready to upgrade. I was considering a used XF, but I'm seeing what I think are some pretty decent lease deals on XEs. I'm in Delaware, and all of the dealerships near me are offering 2017 XE 25t with Prestige trim for around $249 per month with about $3995 down for a 3 year lease with 10k miles per year.

My first question is, is this a good deal? It's a lot less of a monthly payment than if I were to buy a 2013 XF at around $24k.

Also, is the 25t decent, or do others prefer a larger engine with more power? I don't need a hot rod, but I don't want a dog either.

Is there any option that isn't covered in the "Prestige" package that I should consider upgrading to?

Thanks in advance. I'm really on the fence about getting a new car, and I've never leased before, but I do love the XE and it seems like a good price. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I absolutely detest dealerships, so any advice on negotiating lease terms or any "gotchas" would be great too. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I think you'll be fine with the smaller engine, have you test driven the XE? Leasing is good if you are sure you'll be able to complete the terms and are comfortable of paying x cents per mile if you go over... Best part is you turn the car in and no worries about resale and the like. I like all the option packages except adaptive dynamics. Dynamic mode is fine, but there is really nothing to configure for what they offer, so who cares if you disable the steering, but leave the brake in dynamic?

Are you trading in the X Type?

Old 07-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Disagree Re: the above comment on adaptive dynamics. Adding the adaptive dynamics option gives you the adaptive dampers, which really enhances the ride quality of the car. It's less about being able to adjust it yourself and more about the fact that with that option, the car continuously monitors the road and adjusts the dampers to give the best quality ride.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

We have the '16 25T R sport. It is a lovely car to drive and quite quick, though it is best to put it in dynamic and sport to get the shifts quicker of you are wanting spirited driving. The stats have it at 0 - 100kph in 6.6 seconds. It feels quite a bit quicker than that.

Personally I would take the R sport over the prestige and option up the interior to what you want, but that is because I like the sportier looks.

The ride as beautiful on the 19's.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I definitely don't need the R sport. I'm looking mostly for comfort and style, although some get up and go would be nice.

I'm likely not going to use my X-Type as a trade- I know that even though it's in excellent condition, it's only worth maybe $1500 trade in value at a dealer. I've got someone local who has offered me $3900 for it.

Currently I'm considering a 3 year/10k mile lease for these two-

New 2017 Jaguar XE For Sale | Wilmington DE

New 2017 Jaguar XE For Sale | Wilmington DE

One is a 25t Prestige and the other is a 35t Premium. They both have about the same MSRP (the 35t being about $1k more), so I'm trying to weigh the difference in engine size/hp versus the trim package, and this is where I need help. If speed and acceleration are not that important to me, (although I don't want a total dog and the diesel at 180 hp just seems too low), which is better? In other words, are the feature upgrades of the Prestige better than the Premium- enough that one might be happier with the smaller engine? That's kind of where I'm torn.

The other thing is, I haven't actually visited a dealer yet. I plan to either later this afternoon or another day this week. So my other question is- I'm 6'2" with bad back problems, and I really need plenty of head and leg room, and really good lumbar support. I know I won't be able to answer this until I actually sit in one and drive it- but in your opinion, is this a comfortable car for someone like me? I've read that rear passenger space is limited, so that's why I'm wondering.

I should also mention that my budget for this lease is about $300 per month and $3000 down. From what I'm seeing at Jaguar national and my local dealers advertisements, this seems doable.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Last edited by oldpunk; 07-31-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Annapolis Jaguar you only need $2951 down and the same $249 month
They also advertise the 35T AWD for $3931 down and only $20 more per month ($269)

Old 07-31-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nuke986
Annapolis Jaguar you only need $2951 down and the same $249 month
They also advertise the 35T AWD for $3931 down and only $20 more per month ($269)

Ah, thanks! Looking at their website now. Actually for the 25t it looks like they want $2951 down plus a $795 acquisition fee and first months payment which brings the total down up to $3995 (if I'm understanding the fine print correctly), so that is pretty much inline with other area dealerships on a 3yr/10k lease deal.

Again, I've never leased before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there usually any way to negotiate the acquisition fee or the down payment?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldpunk
Thanks for the replies so far. I definitely don't need the R sport. I'm looking mostly for comfort and style, although some get up and go would be nice.

I'm likely not going to use my X-Type as a trade- I know that even though it's in excellent condition, it's only worth maybe $1500 trade in value at a dealer. I've got someone local who has offered me $3900 for it.
Jaguar should give you 2K in customer cash since you are a Jaguar owner on buying a Jaguar from a Jaguar dealership.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Jaguar should give you 2K in customer cash since you are a Jaguar owner on buying a Jaguar from a Jaguar dealership.

Wait whatttttt??????? Is that for real? Do you mean on top of whatever they might offer me for my trade in? If so does that normally get applied to the down payment?

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea

Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Wait whatttttt??????? Is that for real? Do you mean on top of whatever they might offer me for my trade in? If so does that normally get applied to the down payment?

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea

Yes, in addition to the trade since you are a current Jaguar owner... 1 or 2K, but I think two as customer loyalty cash. Yes, can be put down on a lease from what the dealer told me.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree with Moses. The Adaptive Dynamics is a “refinement” option that several UK owners criticized for being too much option-cost for not much difference in the ride. I suspect from their comments that you really need to be a touring owner on regular long highway drives, to receive all the benefits you paid for in the Adaptive Dynamics.

I am 5’-8”, but with exceptionally wide shoulders and I have a spinal curvature issue. BOLSTER (really the prize for persons with bad backs) was NOT available on US models prior to 2018. Fortunately the 25T has non-adjust bolster wings that are wide enough apart that they don’t impede my shoulders.
The Lumbar on the Prestige 25T has decent fine-tune control and it STAYS where you set it (none of that annoying “deflation” after a few months, like lumbars I’ve had in other cars).

But if you’ve got back trouble, you’ll also need to tweak the angle of the cushion under your THIGHS and fanny, as you experiment with your Lumbar setting. The XE’s seat is not quite a “bucket” seat---the cushions are practically flat-shaped where they merge at the base of your spine, and you need to slope that bottom cushion to distribute the weight on your tailbone to be perfect even on long drives. My seat was giving me small back aches until I realized this.

I’ve also sat in the 35T for a weekend.
A Jaguar mechanic who owned one was worried that his 35T guzzles too much gas compared with the 25T, and he’s kind of right. They are both Turbos, so arguably it’s your foot-accuracy that really enables these cars to save gas. But the 25T just handles LIGHTER doing what the 35T uses its engine power to do. 90% of the time the 25T doesn’t feel less capable than 35T, because of that lighter feel. The 25T just doesn’t make as loud a growl when it’s about to do it, and doesn’t eat so much gas doing it. Sometimes I think the only real need for the 35T in a city is to get a louder engine growl, and to show off to drivers during racing challenges in the street.

If you live outside the cities, Sirius SatRadio radio should be seriously considered. It CANNOT be added for you after Jaguar has built the car—and a surprising number of people report regretting that they didn’t pay for the Satradio option.

I think the moonroof is still standard on the US XE, but if it’s not, and if the interior is black leather, several owners are returning to the forums saying they WISH they had chosen the moonroof, because it brings in some needed refreshing light (they had no idea how “dark” that cozy cabin can feel on a lengthy trip).

Whether 25T or 35T, the Jaguar auto paint is soft, easy to pit and chip. Even so, the UK owners say DON’T accept any paint sealer offers from dealerships unless they throw it in for free.
However, they say DO ask the dealership if you can pay them for some kind of protective film to be applied the rocker-panels (those panels at the bottom of the door between front and rear wheels).

Old 08-03-2017, 02:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah, thanks! Looking at their website now. Actually for the 25t it looks like they want $2951 down plus a $795 acquisition fee and first months payment which brings the total down up to $3995 (if I'm understanding the fine print correctly), so that is pretty much inline with other area dealerships on a 3yr/10k lease deal.

Again, I've never leased before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there usually any way to negotiate the acquisition fee or the down payment?
It's usually not recommended to put money down on a lease. If the car is totaled, you will not get that money back. It's nice to put money down to get your monthly payment lower, but lease prices are set in stone once you sign the paperwork. So you'll have to pay $XX,XXX over the term of the lease regardless if you gave $5,000 up front now or $0 and just paid that $5,000 over the 36 months.

My advice is walk in, tell them you're weighing your options between the XE and it's competitors and ask them to lower the sale price 10%... actually throw 15% on the table and see if they bite. It is end of the model year and they'll surely be trying to get the last of the MY2017 off the lot to make room for MY2018. Jaguar usually does up to 15% off MSRP for end of year sales. Then tell them you want to roll any upfront fees (taxes, any deposits and other fees) into the sales price. All while keeping your monthly payment under $300. $249 a month + $3746 = $12,710 over 36 months. You should be able to keep it under $350 a month without paying anything up front.

Save the $3000 down for your lease payments or emergencies.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

A no money down lease is great for GAP insurance, but is going to raise you monthly cost significantly. Your best chances at a good lease are on the cars on the dealer's lot. Get tire and rim insurance! Best money I have ever spent. Already paid for itself and it hasn't been a year into the car. The tires and wheels on the XE are delicate.

Keep in mind that Jaguar is paying for maintenance and when you lease a car, it's not yours... My XE is leased. Even though I still wash it once a week and all that, I don't get so crazy over every little thing since I don't own it.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I'm leasing mine as well - but I did up the mileage from 10k/yr to 12k/yr. I also used my JCNA discount for the majority of the upfront fees.

Agree on the tire/rim insurance!!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

the loyalty cash might not apply in this case......i think there is minimum time, for example must have owned a "newer" car within the past 3 years or something. its DEFINITELY still worth a try. Its credit that gets applied as a CAP COST REDUCTION.

so for example that $3995 out of pocket is usually something like first month + security + doc fee + bullshit fee + cap cost reduction.......to bring your monthly payment to 249. most of those are mandatory to pay. SOMETIMES you can get out of the security deposit. however the cap cost is completely discretionary, its directly correlated to your monthly.......its a bullshit tactic to make you think like you're getting a cheap monthly......in the end you're still paying that same amount whether its upfront in the cap cost or monthly in the payment.

also, any deals you read online are not 100% accurate. the number is based off a $XX sale price........you can negotiate that price even lower, and get a better deal

in order to know if your deal is good or not, we need to know the final sale price.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. I went to the dealer on Wednesday and test drove a 35t Premium with RWD. I really love this car!

I told the dealer I was interested in a Prestige, and not concerned at all about engine size or AWD vs RWD. Honestly it wouldn't matter to me the 25t vs the 35t vs the 20d diesel- whatever's cheapest, it's all the same to me. Anything is going to be 100x faster than the 2.5 X-Type I've been driving for the past four years. The only other must haves are that it's got to be white, black or silver. The dealer said he would work up some deals for me on what they have in stock.

The dealer just called, and basically I'd be looking at $483 per month for a Prestige 25t on a 36 month/10k mile lease with $3023 down at signing. That seems like a lot. I know there is a price difference of about 4k to 5k between the Premium and Prestige, but damn! So he's going to get back to me today with some numbers on a couple of Premiums they have on the lot. For whatever reason, they have much better discounts on 35t Premiums. I guess those are not as popular. In either case, they have both a white and black 35t Premium for a much better deal- advertised as $239 per month with around $2900 down on a 36 month/10 year lease. These have approx. 1000 miles on them already though, which is the reason for the deep discounts. To me, they're not new cars anymore, but whatever, that still sounds like a great deal.

The thing is, I REALLY want some of the options included in the Prestige, that aren't included in the Premium, but sadly it seems like the Prestige is out of my reach for now. I'm actually thinking that I could have an upholstery shop add the lumbar support, and I'm pretty sure that a stereo shop can add heated seats. It will suck to have to have these removed before turning the lease back in, but still probably cheaper than the cost difference between the Premium vs the Prestige.

So here's my thought- I'm going to wait for him to get back to me today with the final numbers on the white and black 35t Premium, and then see if I can negotiate the down payment down a little bit. I know my X-Type probably has around $1k trade in value even though it's in excellent shape, but I might try and see if they'll take it as my down payment. I'd like to walk away with around $250 monthly, and less than or around $2k total down payment, including taxes and tags.

What do you think? Is it worth settling for the Premium? Like I said, comfort means more to me that speed and performance. I have a muscle car and a Harley for when I want speed. For this car I'm more into bells and whistles.

Also, why are you guys buying wheel and tire insurance? Is that not covered under the 5 year Jag Care or whatever they call it?

Thanks again!

Last edited by oldpunk; 08-18-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

are you a JCNA member?? If so, you can get a discount on any model of the XE PRIVATE OFFER PROGRAM EXTENDED AGAIN!! | Jaguar Clubs of North America

My 25T Premium has the cold weather package that includes heated seats/steering wheel. If they are trying to deal what they have, it may not be an option they ordered

the tire/rim protection cover full replacement of the wheel/tire for instances like pothole or significant curb rash

Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Okay, so I was a little off before. Here is what my local dealer is offering me. Please tell my what you think:

2017 XE 35t Premium RWD in white with tan interior with 3940 miles (service loaner)

Down payment = $3000 (includes tax/tags)
Monthly payment = $381

What do you think about this deal? I believe the MSRP is $34,883. If I'm not mistaken here is the exact car. Is this a good deal??? http://www.unionparkjaguar.com/new/J...e3f5ca84e8.htm

Another dealer is offering me a 20d base model with cold weather package for $3500 down and $350 monthly payment. I don't think I want a diesel though, and I definitely don't want a base model.

Honestly, I'd rather have the 35t Premium, but I really want a payment closer to $300 per month. I'm thinking of going to the dealer again tomorrow morning to try and negotiate the deal a little. What angle to you think I should take? I'm wondering if they can throw in any other kind of discount. I'm thinking there may be some more wiggle room since the 2018s are coming out soon and this configuration doesn't seem to be their best seller. Plus with already having 3k miles, I'm sure they just want to get it off the lot.

I looked at the JCNA, and it says I would need to be a member for 6 months before being eligible for the discount. I'm looking to buy within the next week.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Gone through 5 tires in 6K miles on the XE...

Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah, Moses is a fine example of what I was going to suggest about wheel coverage:

The Characteristic of the Driver is the determining factor in choosing protection for you wheels.
If you have lots of opportunities to get energetic with your car…
If you live in an area that's full of country terrain, arid highways, and poor sidewalk curbs…
If you're the kind of driver who isn't patient and careful when parking on the curbs…
…The Wheel Insurance is a great thing to have.

If you don't get many chances to drive like James Bond…
If you're a sharp-eyed driver accustomed to the shrapnel of city streets and able to smoothly avoid it…
If you are really good at parking without ever scuffing the curbs…
…You're like me, and you'll be wasting your money on wheel insurance.