XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

In Control app security question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Control app security question

Just purchased a 2017 XE. I downloaded the app, but haven’t signed up yet because I’m waiting for my new registration. After watching a few YouTube videos, a thought crossed my mind. Can someone take a photo of my vin and plate numbers, register with a general email address and supply “their” pin, and gain access to my car? I’m sure they would need the key fob to actually drive it away.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The vehicle is registered to one account, if someone wanted access to the car they would have to be on the additional drivers list on your account or request for the vehicle to moved off your account onto the new persons account. That can only be done by a dealer at sale or when sold on.

The following users liked this post:
Jjdejd (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ian D
The vehicle is registered to one account, if someone wanted access to the car they would have to be on the additional drivers list on your account or request for the vehicle to moved off your account onto the new persons account. That can only be done by a dealer at sale or when sold on.

I assume you mean registered via the app? If someone did not want to use InControl, is it possible for a stranger to use the vin and plate to register for themselves? Or is their additional security when signing up.Sorry for the questions, but I haven’t tried to signup yet. Thanks for your help

Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

First of all the app isn't that great and you'll use a couple of times and not bother. 2nd, I don't feel it is very secure, from any angle you want to look at it.

Every time I tried to remote start the car it either failed or I was already next to the car by the time I got through the login, and screens walking to the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
craigger (12-11-2017), Jjdejd (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
First of all the app isn't that great and you'll use a couple of times and not bother. 2nd, I don't feel it is very secure, from any angle you want to look at it.

Every time I tried to remote start the car it either failed or I was already next to the car by the time I got through the login, and screens walking to the car.
Curious as to why you would remote start the car as you were walking towards it.
In the heat, the AC with the windows not venting ambient air, would take at least 3-5 minutes to cool down
In the Cold, the Warming of the engine takes at least 5-10 minutes.

I use my remote start every morning. While I'm at the breakfast table, before getting my tie, jacket, keys etc. Love it.

As for security, the only way someone could access your account is through your email/pw combo, (or the dealerships) which is the exact same level of security as your email, banking info, etc.

Jjdejd (12-11-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by craigger
Curious as to why you would remote start the car as you were walking towards it....

As for security, the only way someone could access your account is through your email/pw combo, (or the dealerships) which is the exact same level of security as your email, banking info, etc.
Leaving the gym.... Launching app, entering password... by the time that all happens, I am practically near the car. I would not use the application at home as the car is garaged.

If you feel connected devices to your car are safe; go for it. I wish I could disable any connection to my car. There's no way anyone could get your email/password combo... Impossible, right? Just like no could ever get your banking info...

Jjdejd (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Leaving the gym.... Launching app, entering password... by the time that all happens, I am practically near the car. I would not use the application at home as the car is garaged.

If you feel connected devices to your car are safe; go for it. I wish I could disable any connection to my car. There's no way anyone could get your email/password combo... Impossible, right? Just like no could ever get your banking info...
I’m starting to loose interest in this feature. Think I’ll pass. Thanks for the input and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

I'd much prefer Jaguar put money into making intermittent wipers work as I selected on the wand... Deliver the simple stuff first. How about when it's 90f out to know I want cooled seats when I turn the seat on? Or when it's below freezing inside and out of the car that the heated seats should turn on by default?

Remote starting the car is low my list.

Jjdejd (12-12-2017)