XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

A little help on XE driving modeS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A little help on XE driving modeS

I am still a little confused on how the drive modes still work. I have a 2017 jaguar XE 30 5T first addition. I have the settings to only use paddle shifters while in S. Reading the manual it says if you are in dynamic mode and in sport mode transmission will not automatically shift for you unless you use the paddle shifters. I find this to be not true as without using the paddle shifters while in dynamic mode and in sport mode the transmission does automatically shift I’m trying to figure out what the difference is with sport mode being in regular drive and sport mode in dynamic. Can anybody help me with this?

Old 04-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Hi. They will change unless the manual mode is engaged, eg when you put it into S and dynamic (or just S or dynamic) the car is still in automatic mode. You have to then flick a paddle to trigger the manual mode. After that they wont change by themselves unless manual is disengaged (usually by holding the up paddle in for a few seconds).

Dynamic will drop out of manual mode after a while (on my cars) if you havent changed gears, but sport doesnt.

The difference with dynamic + sport at the same time is that it wont change even if it needs to.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Thanks for reply.
Ya see that’s whats confusing. When I’m in dynamic AND sport, my gears still change automatically. But putting that to the side, what would you say is the best ride....
Sport
Dynamic
sport and dynamic
normal and sport??

thanks.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Dynamic mode is a must, sharpens throttle response, tightens steering input and stiffens dampers if fitted. Sports mode will give a higher rpm change for the gears, flick a paddle and you’ll get full control, it’ll bounce off the limiter if you don’t change up.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hi, are you putting it into manual mode by flicking a paddle? when you have Sport on, it shouldnt get out of manual once it is in unless you disengage it.

so you have the 30T? Let us know how it drives - I havent driven the new 4 potter yet. Assuming that it shows some turbo lag like the rest of the 4 potters, I agree with Ian that Dynamic is the best. In the ecoboost engines it stops them from being surgey and gives more of a supercharged feel. When I pinch my wife's XE, I use dynamic and sport but most of the time I dont bother with the paddles unless I am on a twisty road.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:07 PM

I’m in the US, my car is titled as a 2017 35t AWD First Edition. In US we don’t have an R-sport on the 2017 model. Let me see if I have my window sticker and I’ll upload it, but I believe the first edition is the highest model.
I don’t know much about sporty cars as I was always a luxury car type so this is my first sporty car and don’t know much about speed, and RPMs, and stuff but I wanna learn.
As of now, I always drive in dynamic mode with the gear in D. I’ve been playing around with the paddles and sport mode.
To me, the best is dynamic and D, but I’m sure dynamic and gear in sport is probably optimal. I don’t really play around with the paddles too often.
I would assume the best sound and off the line would be Dynamic and Sport, but whenever I use that in auto (not using paddles) I feel I’m killing the transmission. I also wonder how it would be if I didn’t put it in dynamic and kept ‘normal’ drive mode while in Sport because you can’t change ambient lighting while in dynamic. It only goes to the stealth mode ( everything red). I never get to play around with the ambient colors cause I’m always in dynamic.
Now knowing that I don’t know much about sport, does anyone think the could explain all the modes and combinations in lamens terms??? I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by JustBlessed
I’m in the US, my car is titled as a 2017 35t AWD First Edition. In US we don’t have an R-sport on the 2017 model. Let me see if I have my window sticker and I’ll upload it, but I believe the first edition is the highest model.
I don’t know much about sporty cars as I was always a luxury car type so this is my first sporty car and don’t know much about speed, and RPMs, and stuff but I wanna learn.
As of now, I always drive in dynamic mode with the gear in D. I’ve been playing around with the paddles and sport mode.
To me, the best is dynamic and D, but I’m sure dynamic and gear in sport is probably optimal. I don’t really play around with the paddles too often.
I would assume the best sound and off the line would be Dynamic and Sport, but whenever I use that in auto (not using paddles) I feel I’m killing the transmission. I also wonder how it would be if I didn’t put it in dynamic and kept ‘normal’ drive mode while in Sport because you can’t change ambient lighting while in dynamic. It only goes to the stealth mode ( everything red). I never get to play around with the ambient colors cause I’m always in dynamic.
Now knowing that I don’t know much about sport, does anyone think the could explain all the modes and combinations in lamens terms??? I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers, sorry I thought you had a 30T which is the new high output 4 potter. These designations get very confusing, moreso with the new f type designations which are causing much chagrin on the f type board.

Ian explained it pretty well, but I suppose that essentially if you put it in sport the gear change points are higher and it will hold gear longer. That makes it much better for twisty roads and mountain driving, especially with the torque vectoring that you have (which brakes the inside wheels to make the turns better). So dont worry if it wont change gear until you are doing 3500 rpm or higher when you are in sport. Also if you use the manual changes, it wont switch back to auto by itself. I like to use the paddles but the transmission is pretty smart, you really dont need to if you are in the right mode. Bear in mind you use more fuel in sport, though.

Dynamic changes other things - steering and suspension if your suspension is active. I have had it on a few Jags including my f type, but not our XE. It can make the ride a bit bumpy on poor roads. Dynamic also sharpens the throttle response, so you get a much more immediate response.

Your build looks really good, by the way.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 2017 35T R-Sport, purchased in the US.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Page fromJaguar build.pdf (215.9 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Wow really??? Is that a higher model than the First Edition?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know. When I ordered my car (June, 2016), the brochures (online and otherwise) did not say anything about a "First Edition."

Old 04-02-2018, 01:58 PM

Yea that’s not much info on the first edition. Besides hearing it from my dealer and on the window sticker, can’t find much info about it

Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jag needs to name models with numbers that make sense to their true engine specifics.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yea that’s not much info on the first edition. Besides hearing it from my dealer and on the window sticker, can’t find much info about it
The new Epace has a "First Edition" model, but not for long!! It is the top model.

From the website-

"Only available for the first model year, First Edition includes exclusive design details including Caldera Red paint*"

Maybe the same for the earlier XE, and now disappeared?

Old 04-03-2018, 01:11 PM

Yes, I am pretty sure that is what happened. I purchased my car in early 2017, 2018 models weren’t out yet, and the dealer told me these were the last 2 first additions they had in our state.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I have a 2017 35T R-Sport, purchased in the US.
I used to own a 2017 XE R Sport. US car.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe Sport mode differs between regular and dynamic modes. Both are independent as far as I can tell.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

But putting that to the side, what would you say is the best ride....

Best ride for what purpose?

If you are taking the family to church, drinking coffee on the way to work, or just want the car to act like a limo, keep her in drive and off dynamic.

However, I usually switch mine to dynamic in stop and go traffic on the way to work as it holds gears longer and I use the brake pedal less, the engine braking really helps.

And after my temps hit nominal, I'll almost always switch over to sport and dynamic anyway so I can floor it at will...as this is why I bought a performance sport sedan in the first place.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Austin7
However, I usually switch mine to dynamic in stop and go traffic on the way to work as it holds gears longer and I use the brake pedal less, the engine braking really helps.
Do you have adaptive cruise control? Great option for driving in traffic.