XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Loud scarry metalic engine noise/rattle-problems getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud scarry metalic engine noise/rattle-problems getting worse

ntroduction:My car is a 2018 XE 2.0T.
So i have 2900 km on the car,when this happened. On the 2101 km mark I had a VCT solenoid control valve changed on warranty.I made a thread on this forum called "Yellow engine light on".Problem solved.I understand from the dealer that , my chain went off and back on in order to reach and change this part.

Problem appears: As i was driving on the highway after doing 130km/h I decelarated and between 1200-and 1500/2000 rpm I began hearing a metallic rattle noise while acceleartingcoming from the engine compartiment .The sound appears randomly and lasts only couple of seconds varying in intensity.The sound can be heard when accelerating from a stop at between 1200 and 1500 rpm or even higher I am not sure.After I got home I shut down the engine.Thn had my dad come hear the engine.I started the car and in the start procedure (the car revs up to 1500rpm for a few seconds and then goes down to normal idlle speed 700/800 rpm ) the scarry metalic rattle noise appeared but this time was very loud , sounded like after my engined fired up, a lawn mower engine fired up next to it.It was a frightening sound.No warnings in the dash.

I will call my dealaer tommorow.Any advice? I am very scared and considering having the engine changed by jaguar If more problems appear.It's unnacceptable that these kind of problems happen to a new car in the first thousand km.
Tommorow I will post a video with the sound.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM

See the noise in this video I uploaded.It s from inside of the cabin.I will make one from outside ,when you can really hear a strong loud metallic rattle.Sound like a lawn mower cutting something hard.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I didn't hear anything in your video, but I am sure you are having an issue. Keep us posted.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:44 PM

Having it towed tommorow ,The delear spoked with the chief mechanic and said it's not safe for the engine ,because I need to cover 200km to the delalership who initialy worked on the car.So Im having it towed tommorow.Will keep you posted.

found these videos on youtube dont know if they relate to my problem but they kind of do:

Old 04-19-2019, 03:47 PM

Long story short :Engine is destroyed.

How it happened: The car lost 80% of the engine oil while I was driving on the highway.The leak was coming from the VCT valve they changed. I drove 750km while the oil was leaking.At km 720 I noticed something was wrong oil smell in the cabin and the intermitent random metalic sound.Got home left the car 15 min than started it again so my dad can hear it.I think that was the moment were the reamining oil went down and when i started the car the metal sound got even worse.Shut the engine imediately.The curious thing is the car did not alert me of this.NO WARNINGS in dash. Towed it to the dealer. They checked the dip-stick.No oil whatsoever.Put 1 l of oil in .No oil .Put another in .They see a bit on the dip stick then flushed the engine. We inspected the oil filter.It was full of metal particles!The dealers insurance team will come and investigate the engine.Car is now legally sealed.

they said either it will be done on warranty (not palusible) or with theyr money (plausible cause its their fault)

I will try to do my best to obtain a new engine .They said that there is the posibility to replace affected parts if everything else is ok. but I cant agree on this.Any advice would help guys please ! Lets support my cause.
here are videos and pictures.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by xeqtr_psm

The car lost 80% of the engine oil while I was driving on the highway.

They said that there is the possibility to replace affected parts if everything else is ok.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Insist on a new engine (long block) as there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to repair this engine. They could make it run with some parts, but no oil condition combined with metal going through it makes it unsuitable for anything but recycling.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Can you fight to just swap the car for another one? Could cost Jaguar less money,

Old 04-22-2019, 02:22 AM

I will be sending today an official letter from my company on wich the car is registered carying the signature of my lawyer too. Will be asking for a new car.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You are unlikely to get a new car, unless Romania has lemon laws that would force the dealer to do a buy-back. You can only insist on warranty repairs to bring the car to as-new condition. This means a new crate engine or a new longblock. The rest of the car is fine, so you are not justified in asking for more, at least not until it can be shown that car is not repairable or that multiple attempts to repair did not succeed.

Someone has to pay for this issue. It is likely that it will be the dealer, they will will turn to JLR or insurance to cover repair costs. Insurance unlikely pay for more than just what failed. JLR unlikely to pay for any of it since it isn't manufacturing fault.

Now, moment you get lawyers involved, everything stops until lawyers are finished wasting everyone's time. So by a) involving lawyers b) asking for absolute maximum you are likely making this issue more difficult than it needs to be. My suggestion is to ask for a new crate engine and comparable loaner while they do the work.

Last edited by SinF; 04-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.