XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Map Update for GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy Map Update for GPS system

Here is my experience in Australia. I had been trying to get an update for over 6 months. My car was delivered early 2016 in Aus. First Service in Dec 2016 when I enquired about map upgrade. Advised by dealer not available but would contact when something was known. I received a recall in May and booked in June 17. Again requested advice on map upgrade as original installed maps were a 2014 version . After pushing Dealer was advised that car would require a new "module" and maps for a cost of A$1000 approx. This was not acceptable and I contacted Jaguar Customer Relations Centre. They had no knowledge that the maps could not be updated for early XE adopters! After a lot of too and throughing they have now advised maps can be updated for a charge of A$250.
Talk about price gouging, one can buy a new Garmin or Tom Tom for less money and a life time map upgrade. I also use Sygic on my iPad which is a superior GPS system IMO.
I love the XE R Sport but Jaguar attitude and Service has a lot to be desired.Those who got a free update have done well.
Robert

Old 07-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

How did you determine the date of the maps your car came with?

Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Smile Source Key

Originally Posted by booklaw1
How did you determine the date of the maps your car came with?
Secret Menu Screen:-
keep SOURCE pressed for 10 secs and you'll access to a secret menu.
Same thing if you keep VALET pressed for 20 secs

The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Robert can you send me a PM with the VIN of your car? I wanna check this out for myself...

Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 PM

Vin removed, no need to show it publicly - Cambo

Last edited by Cambo; 07-13-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 PM

You car has the NLI HEAD UNIT LEVEL C system, which uses an SD card to load maps.

I would guess that updated maps aren't even available to buy for these newer models yet...

TomTom is the map provider to JLR for AUS/NZ, and they are pretty much useless.

For the earlier JLR models TomTom are only providing maps on DVD, even though in other markets the maps are provided on USB stick (those maps provided by the HERE company, for Europe, North America, etc). I called up TomTom locally about another map problem a few months ago, they told me they "can not" provide maps on USB or SD cards.

When you look on their website, there are no maps for the XE (or other new models using the NLI/NGI infotainment). www.jaguar.navshop.com.au

I think this is not necessarily Jaguar's problem, they don't make the maps TomTom does, and if TomTom doesn't provide them, well that seems to be the problem...

I get the feeling that the "new module" the dealer was talking about, was one way of getting around TomTom's lack of updated maps for this model, there is a possibility of fitting a 3rd party nav module that uses a different map provider.

Not sure what else to tell you, it seems that once again TomTom has screwed the pooch...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
BigCat09 (07-14-2017), Fair2 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 PM
Default XE map updates

Originally Posted by Cambo
You car has the NLI HEAD UNIT LEVEL C system, which uses an SD card to load maps.

I would guess that updated maps aren't even available to buy for these newer models yet...

TomTom is the map provider to JLR for AUS/NZ, and they are pretty much useless.

For the earlier JLR models TomTom are only providing maps on DVD, even though in other markets the maps are provided on USB stick (those maps provided by the HERE company, for Europe, North America, etc). I called up TomTom locally about another map problem a few months ago, they told me they "can not" provide maps on USB or SD cards.

When you look on their website, there are no maps for the XE (or other new models using the NLI/NGI infotainment). www.jaguar.navshop.com.au

I think this is not necessarily Jaguar's problem, they don't make the maps TomTom does, and if TomTom doesn't provide them, well that seems to be the problem...

I get the feeling that the "new module" the dealer was talking about, was one way of getting around TomTom's lack of updated maps for this model, there is a possibility of fitting a 3rd party nav module that uses a different map provider.

Not sure what else to tell you, it seems that once again TomTom has screwed the pooch...
I believe the SD Card can now be updated via a Jaguar update program . This is how it is done in the U.K. It is called " In Control Map Updater" . You need to insert your SD Card into your computer/ Laptop and the Card is specific ( Vehicle VIN) . I have been advised that Australia has now been included in this program.
The issue I have is that the cost is A$250 for each map update. Nor is it covered by the Fixed Cost Service Program which I paid real dollars. On the U.K. XE Forum Jaguar are providing free map updates. Thus my comment that Jaguar Australia IMO are price gouging.
Whilst the Dealer has tried to help, and CRC have tried also to be helpful the solution has been exasperating. This is an issue that Jaguar has not got right.
Robert

Old 07-13-2017, 11:22 PM

You mean this site/program JAGUAR INCONTROL TOUCH MAP UPDATER

If they have finally included Australia in that, well it's a step forward.

I can't check it as the program does not let you proceed until you plug in an "official" SD card to your laptop.

Map Update for GPS system-incontrol-map-updater.jpg

As for the paid updates vs. free of charge, yes that's a sore point. What applies in the UK or other countries doesn't always apply here.

Us owners of older Jags have always been stung with overpriced map updates, it's still $200 for a 2-year old map for my 13-year old XJ... same cost if you have a "new" car with the previous generation Infotainment, like an F-Type or XF. It's cheaper now than what it was before though, not too long ago it was something really ridiculous like $450 for a map update...

I don't know of anyone in Australia who got a free map update from Jaguar, unless the dealer paid for it out of his own pocket...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
BigCat09 (07-14-2017), Fair2 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Fair2
keep SOURCE pressed for 10 secs and you'll access a secret menu.

Any other secret menu's you can tell us about? Source on how you found this menu?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

keep SOURCE pressed for 10 secs and you'll access a secret menu.
OK, where do you find a "Source" button?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Smile Map Upgrade update

Here is my experience in Australia. I had been trying to get an update for over 6 months. My car was delivered early 2016 in Aus. First Service in Dec 2016 when I enquired about map upgrade. Advised by dealer not available but would contact when something was known. I received a recall in May and booked in June 17. Again requested advice on map upgrade as original installed maps were a 2014 version . After pushing Dealer was advised that car would require a new "module" and maps for a cost of A$1000 approx. This was not acceptable and I contacted Jaguar Customer Relations Centre. They had no knowledge that the maps could not be updated for early XE adopters! After a lot of too and throughing they have now advised maps can be updated for a charge of A$250.
Talk about price gouging, one can buy a new Garmin or Tom Tom for less money and a life time map upgrade. I also use Sygic on my iPad which is a superior GPS system IMO.
I love the XE R Sport but Jaguar attitude and Service has a lot to be desired.Those who got a free update have done well.
Robert
A quick update . Jaguar have now agreed to an Exgratia " free" update. Just goes to show that Jaguar must look at the Forum blogs.
Robert

Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick update . Jaguar have now agreed to an Exgratia " free" update. Just goes to show that Jaguar must look at the Forum blogs.
Robert
Oh well, the response I got from CRC Australia is completely different from yours, Fair2.

===============

Dear Mr Srangium,

We write to you in relation to the Map Update on your Jaguar XE.

If you purchase a SD Card it will only amend the maps. - https://jaguar.navshop.com.au/

However, if you are having issues with the Incontrol Apps then we would require you to make a booking with your preferred Authorised Retailer to look into this concern for you.

Please advise if you require further assistance.

Thank you

Kind regards,

xxxx xxxxx
Customer Relationship Centre Executive
Jaguar Land Rover Australia

=====================

Any advice please?

Karn.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 PM

Sorry to hear. Looks like you will have to pay for an upgrade. I wouldn’t worry in the future.
Robert

Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear. Looks like you will have to pay for an upgrade. I wouldn’t worry in the future.
Robert
May I ask how exactly you got it updated and if the map version really changed?

I'm pretty sure if I copied the map folders on your SD card into mine, it would just work.

Also, did you try upgrading it via the app from www.jaguar.naviextras.com/web/mapupdater/incontroltouch?

I got an error "LICENSE COULD NOT BE VERIFIED 108" and that's why they told me off to talk to my dealership.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 AM

Jaguar Dealer did it. Yes it did update maps. For example it included the Dingley Bypass in Melbourne.
I tried to copy a SD Card from a courtesy car ,but they are specific to each car VIN.
Robert

Old 06-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Downlading and installiong Incontrol Map Updates

I read several posts and it took me a week to figure our why I could not update my maps so I wrote the attached.
Hope it helps others.

I am in the USA. I spoke to Jaguar NA and they said their were no updates for my 2016 XJL. I spoke to my dealer and they said they had to do it. Then I found I only needed to use my account at jaguar.here.com
Then I did not understand how to use the download. I found the first download I did was an installation file for my PC. I installed the program. The next time I clicked that exact same button it asked me where to download the map update. you download it to a USB at least 32 GB, formatted as FAT 32. It will overwrite anything on the USB and can take 40 minutes to a few hours depending on your internet speed and the USB.
Once on the USB, you take to your vehicle. Start the vehicle, allow the screen to come up (don't open nav yet), insert the USB (mine in the glovebox), then open navigation. Follow the instructions on the screen. Once it says is installed and to continue - remove the USB. Then click continue and your nav will re-start and be updated. Or print the attached

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
How to UPDATE Jauguare Maps.pdf (675.7 KB, 973 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Glenn Short:
Fair2 (06-05-2019), JaxR. (08-30-2019)