XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Question regarding brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Question regarding brake bleeding

I had the calipers on my XE painted (they came out perfect). In order to do a proper job, the calipers were taken off the car. Brakes were bled and subsequently rebled. There doesn't appear to be a leak or anything of that nature. The issue I seem to have is that I am able to push the brake pedal to the floor. Here is a quick synopsis on what I experience.

Everything seems completely normal when driving and normal braking. Maybe just the slightest hint of being soft. Very very light though if anything though. If I am in stop and go traffic or after an initial brake press and then let off and quickly press the brake again it will press all the way to the floor with just a little push back. Brakes work and grab still, but will go to the floor relatively easily.

Any thoughts on things to check? Definitely no air coming out when bleeding.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Where they "pressure bled"?

Old 11-27-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Where they "pressure bled"?

No, Just the old pump and hold.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Bleed again to remove trapped air beginning the RH rear if the vehicle is LHD, or LH rear if it's RHD. Finish with the caliper closest to the driving position.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Bleed again to remove trapped air beginning the RH rear if the vehicle is LHD, or LH rear if it's RHD. Finish with the caliper closest to the driving position.
Thanks, I can give it a whirl again, but that's the order they were done in previously. Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front. (LHD)

Old 12-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi,

I can understand doing DYI work that is easy to save money.

What I can never understand after reading various forums, is as to why people attempt critical life or death jobs like brake work and then go on these forums after they get stuck with a problem that they can't figure out.

I am not being judgmental and I certainly like to save money when possible, but brakes are just too important for your average DIY guy who wants to save some bucks.

Some jobs in my opinion are better left to the pros unless you have major technical skills. I just could never understand why a person would buy a relatively expensive car and then go on these forums when they attempt something as serious as brakes and they get stumped. Sorry but this just makes no sense to me.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by spanky145
Hi,

I can understand doing DYI work that is easy to save money.

What I can never understand after reading various forums, is as to why people attempt critical life or death jobs like brake work and then go on these forums after they get stuck with a problem that they can't figure out.

I am not being judgmental and I certainly like to save money when possible, but brakes are just too important for your average DIY guy who wants to save some bucks.

Some jobs in my opinion are better left to the pros unless you have major technical skills. I just could never understand why a person would buy a relatively expensive car and then go on these forums when they attempt something as serious as brakes and they get stumped. Sorry but this just makes no sense to me.

I'll check with the "caliper painting pros" who are also mechanics in my area next time I need calipers painted. Had nothing to do with saving money and everything to do with getting the calipers painted correctly and not half-assed. (The "pros" certainly aren't the techs that work for my local Jaguar dealer, I can say that much)

Everything was fine after a subsequent bleed. The guy that painted them is a certified service tech for Chrysler with a lot of painting experience. He just bled them one last time and everything was perfect. I had another vehicle to drive so I just left the XE with him as he was heading out of town for a couple days. Brakes aren't that hard if you know what you are doing and when he got back in town he bled them again and everything is just as expected. I posted this originally in case there was something to look for that was out of the ordinary with the XE. You're not going to find anyone else is this area that will do a proper paint job and then be able to do the brakes as well. Jaguar techs are joke here. Multiple issues with a couple different things with those "pros" not to mention I highly doubt they would even do something like this or if they would it would probably cost $1000. Again though, I wouldn't use Jaguar for this regardless of cost.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Post some pictures of your new painted brakes.

That sucks that the Jaguar dealer near by aren't in such regard by you. Are there any long time Jaguar dealers near by? I'd trust more the dealerships that have been selling Jags 30+ years. I could be crazy for thinking they may know better.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Post some pictures of your new painted brakes.

That sucks that the Jaguar dealer near by aren't in such regard by you. Are there any long time Jaguar dealers near by? I'd trust more the dealerships that have been selling Jags 30+ years. I could be crazy for thinking they may know better.
The next closest dealer to me is about 2 hours away. It's definitely unfortunate that the local dealership is such a disaster and does not take time to do things correctly or check their own work. I posted some pics of the calipers (albeit not great quality) in one of the other threads here . Actually you posted in that thread. haha!!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...covers-193094/

Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to hear that things worked out for you.

I also have the problem of having access to 3 different Jaguar dealers and they are each about one hour away. Dealer 1 screwed up a relatively simple job of replacing my fuel filler neck so for the next warranty job I tried dealer 2 and they did a fine job so i have been using them for warranty work.

This is one of the reasons why I may never buy another Jaguar again. There are just not enough Jaguar dealers around who are convenient for me and we all know that at some time or another we will need a dealer's service department for warranty work.

OP..... Do you have any indy's that are convenient and have many recommendations? It might make more sense to go this route when you need work and don't want to use the "pros" at your Jaguar dealer. Of course warranty work will still need to be done by an
authorized Jaguar dealer and we all know that there is a good chance that something will go wrong regarding something covered under warranty. I guess that since your dealer is so bad that you will need to be prepared to make the 2 hour trip to get to the next closest dealer. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

OP - Have you called JLR to discuss you concerns on the local dealer? If you do, just keep it factual and I think you may see the red carpet roll out on your next service.