XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Timing chain loose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain loose?

Hi All,

First post. I've a Jag XE R-Sport 65 Plate. When the car cold starts there is a loud mechanical/vibration noise. It's been in to Jag a few times under warranty and they have taken apart the exhaust and rebuilt it. It did go away for maybe a week or so but has returned.

The car is on a lease, the company had it taken to another (non-jag) garage who have came to the conclusion that it's the timing chain. They advised it's an engine-out job so they don't have the ability to do it and are referring it back to an official Jag centre.

I've uploaded a
showing the noise and vibration of the exhaust.

Has anyone else came across this before and able to confirm it is indeed the timing chain?

Cheers
Mark

Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

It it's the timing chain, how come we're listening to the exhaust ? Timing chains rattle and the noise would be heard in the engine compartment. Even more if a mechanics stethoscope is placed on or near the timing chest.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
It it's the timing chain, how come we're listening to the exhaust ? Timing chains rattle and the noise would be heard in the engine compartment. Even more if a mechanics stethoscope is placed on or near the timing chest.
Thanks for the reply

The garage said they've seen this in a few XE engines, I'm not overly clued up in these things so just wanted a second opinion.

Any idea what this could be caused by if not the timing chain? The whole exhaust system has been taken apart and rebuilt previously so I'm not sure it would be directly related to that unless it's been rebuilt wrongly too

Cheers

Old 12-08-2018, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The garage said they've seen this in a few XE engines,
If so, then Jaguar must surely be aware of it. What engine do you have in the car ?

Old 03-24-2022, 05:13 PM
Default Not chain

This will be engine Mount and/exhaust Mount I had the exact same issue they go hand in hand engine Mount makes the exhaust Mount go not to pricey but not cheap watching think mine was around 2/3 hundred

Old 03-28-2022, 07:59 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

That exhaust seems to be wobbling about far too much and this is likely to be due to failed mountings. If the exhaust has been "rebuilt" by a Jaguar dealer why didn't they renew its mountings at the same time?
I think a simple way to see if it's the exhaust that is making what is quite a loud noise would be just to grab the tail pipes while the engine is running (with gloved hands of course) and slowly move it about to see if the noise is the result of the exhaust contacting a heat shield. That's what it sounds like to me. Even a very loose timing chain wouldn't make this amount of noise at the rear of the car.