XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What's your MPG in the XE like?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
Resurrecting this quiet thread!

My previous ride was an Acura TSX that also required 91 octane. I used to alternate between 91 and 93, and never noticed a difference in mileage. I will be mostly using 91 with my new XE.

As for mpg - my TSX was a 4-cylinder and got about the same mpg as the XE is advertised to get, even with a 340 hp engine versus 205 in the TSX... However, while I miss the Acura's manual transmission (this is my first auto car), the handling of the XE makes my foot a little more lead-like, so will have to see just what mpg I get...
I think with XE, the fuel economy is equally impressive as the handling.

I just came back from a trip to NY. 220 miles each way. Drove at night, fast... (empty roads) got 24mpg on my way there. Coming back, @85mph all the way, got 26mpg.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

The XE is clearly synchronized to the owner/driver a lot more than many performance cars I've heard people complain about. What I mean is, there are MANY drivers who have been so hurt by the apparent gas-guzzler loss of fuel, that I've had mechanics at the service centers ask me for recommendations on how my fuel rate is, and what kind of gas I load in my car.
Then at the same time there are many (like myself) who are consistently getting better than the quoted 21city/30highway gas mileage nearly every time we drive. It seems to be one of those cars that shows "driver's effort in = car output efficiency" a little more dramatically than other cars tend to.

My 25T gets me about 24 mpg in regular traffic-light driving. (If I leave Auto stop/start ON, I sometimes get about a mile more, but I definitely see it increasing by tenths of a mile on each trip).

Highway driving is really the best, with about 37 or 38 mpg on a simple 45 minute run, always under 55 mph because its during the commuter hours.

Yes, the V6 is considered more powerful but less fuel efficient than the 25T, but "bunk" to all of that, I say. Like was posted here, your foot is going to play the biggest role in your fuel loss--it's going to feel as though the two things are almost DIRECTLY related to each other! My foot was trained for years on a peppy Japanese economy car---so nearly every maneuver I do with the 25T is smooth-push, even in rapid accelerations. If you experience poor mileage, don't accept it as fate---you can always practice adjusting your foot style--this is a car that deserves the extra try from you.

I also have settled on ONE brand of petrol, no more changing brands. In the US, Shell and BP tend to get the most frequent thumbs-up from XE owners (I don't know how that came about)---try full tank of each of these two brands, or settle on one brand you like for its responsiveness with YOUR foot.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 03-06-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
The XE is clearly synchronized to the owner/driver a lot more than many performance cars I've heard people complain about. What I mean is, there are MANY drivers who have been so hurt by the apparent gas-guzzler loss of fuel, that I've had mechanics at the service centers ask me for recommendations on how my fuel rate is, and what kind of gas I load in my car.
Then at the same time there are many (like myself) who are consistently getting better than the quoted 21city/30highway gas mileage nearly every time we drive. It seems to be one of those cars that shows "driver's effort in = car output efficiency" a little more dramatically than other cars tend to.

My 25T gets me about 24 mpg in regular traffic-light driving. (If I leave Auto stop/start ON, I sometimes get about a mile more, but I definitely see it increasing by tenths of a mile on each trip).

Highway driving is really the best, with about 37 or 38 mpg on a simple 45 minute run, always under 55 mph because its during the commuter hours.

Yes, the V6 is considered more powerful but less fuel efficient than the 25T, but "bunk" to all of that, I say. Like was posted here, your foot is going to play the biggest role in your fuel loss--it's going to feel as though the two things are almost DIRECTLY related to each other! My foot was trained for years on a peppy Japanese economy car---so nearly every maneuver I do with the 25T is smooth-push, even in rapid accelerations. If you experience poor mileage, don't accept it as fate---you can always practice adjusting your foot style--this is a car that deserves the extra try from you.

I also have settled on ONE brand of petrol, no more changing brands. In the US, Shell and BP tend to get the best results from XE owners---try full tank of each of these two brands, or settle on one brand you like for its responsiveness with YOUR foot.
Yes I totally agree on the driving style. It is the biggest factor. 38mpg for 25T sounds very good. As long as you are below 65mp/h you will get the best mpgs.
As for Shell, I'm not sure how it is where you live, but it is 10-15% more expensive than any other brand in MA. Do you think their fuel quality is better than others?

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
Resurrecting this quiet thread!

My previous ride was an Acura TSX that also required 91 octane. I used to alternate between 91 and 93, and never noticed a difference in mileage. I will be mostly using 91 with my new XE.
According to Click & Clack's CarTalk website,
Using a lower octane can harm the engine over time, and using a higher than called-for octane is a complete waste of money.
For that reason, I tend to look for Sunoco stations so that I can fill up with 91 octane, rather than the 89 or 93 octane choices offered by most or all other NYC-area gas stations.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Yes I totally agree on the driving style.

As for Shell, I'm not sure how it is where you live, but it is 10-15% more expensive than any other brand in MA. Do you think their fuel quality is better than others?
Fuel brand being better is tricky for me to always accept.

Octane is a subject I can accept, because makers like Jaguar will actually TELL me in their owner's books that they want 93-octane in this car, or "x-octane is ok in an emergency, but we recommend y-octane".
And I read that for the 2017 XE, Jaguar requests you use 93.

But the BRAND? I'm not sure how much of the "better" is in my mind, or in my driving style, or actually the laboratory behind the fuel.

I do think Shell, BP, and Amoco (Amoco bought by BP now) has some of the best detergents of all the detergent-fuel brands... I did read that the Canadian company Shell has spent the most money doing the research for their detergent-gas recipe (but this might be just planting the "suggestion" in drivers minds that they must be better). (May also explain why Shell costs so much in some states, yikes!).

Shell also calls their ingredient "NitroV", and LOL anything that has nitro in the name will make some drivers fantasize about how faster it's making them go... that could be in their minds too.

Just before the cold December, I switched from Mobil and tried a full tank of Shell 93 octane. The car was only 2 weeks old. With Shell, the gearshifting became buttery smooth, cruising was quieter, accelerating uphill was less animal-aggresive and less urgent, and it suddenly took a very LONG time to empty the tank.
But then I tried a full tank of BP 93 octane: gearshifting and idling became a bit more audible and aggressive, a full tank gets used up somewhat faster, but the response when I accelerate uphill was menacingly quick.

I settled on BP as long as I'm commuting in the city; I can use a smooth foot to control the aggressiveness of the gas and still respond to hazards quicker.
And I plan to load up with Shell if I'm about to start a long highway drive to PA or Rhode Island. It was really smooth.
If I can get 37 mpg with BP on a highway, the Shell should give me even better numbers.